PDA

View Full Version : New Ultra/66 HD.....

BMED
02-20-00, 11:14 PM
I just installed a Maxtor 27GB and I would like to get the full speed out of it. My MB only supports Ultra/33 so I'm trying to install a PCI Controller Card(Ultra/66). The problem I'm having now is that when I boot up with the Controller Card installed and connected to HD it just hangs up, HD works fine without it(@ ultra/33). This is the second card I've tried and I get the same problems with both, I assuming the problem lies in my system. I've tried setting it from Master to Cable Select with no changes. Any suggestions? http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif

Hell_Yes
02-21-00, 11:56 AM
To boot from the UDMA66 card, Go into your BIOS and change the boot sequence to boot from SCSI.... The Promise66 board thinks its SCSI.

Mine works like a champ

David

Hell_Yes
02-21-00, 11:59 AM
Also make sure you are using the 80 wire/40 pin connector.

Is the udma66 your primary partition drive?

BMED
02-21-00, 01:51 PM
I don't have that option in my bios! What next?
Yes, it is my primary master HD.

[This message has been edited by BMED (edited 02-21-2000).]

Hell_Yes
02-21-00, 04:48 PM
Ouch,

Are sure you don't have the option?
It should be under the C: A: CDROM: boot option....

Without the ability to boot scsi (I thought all Bios's had that option) your kind of stuck. You can try update the BIOS if they are flashable or a new Motherboard.

Again, the UDMA controller cards need the SCSI option to boot.

If you don't mind it as a secondary drive, you can use a smaller primary drive off your MB controller then use the 27G drive for virtual mem and for everything else you need the speed.

I wish I could more help

David

Hell_Yes
02-21-00, 04:57 PM
oops..
small correction

Award BIOS
second screen (BIOS OPTIONS)
sixth line down (HARD DRIVE BOOT FROM)

options should be PRI-IDE MAS/ PRI-IDE SLA/ SEC-IDE MAS/ SEC-IDE SLA/ SCSI

BMED
02-21-00, 05:16 PM
Nope! Compaq 5070 does not have scsi option in the bios...This sucks because I don't know where to upgrade this bios. It is flashable. I know how to upgrade, just don't know what bios I have? Compaq is no help here either. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by BMED (edited 02-21-2000).]

BMED
02-22-00, 09:06 PM
Good News! After researching I found out that my chipset and motherboard does support Ultra DMA 33/66. According to SiS my chipset (SiS 530/5595) supports both DMA 33/66 and I found more information about this bios. I wish companies like Compaq could give out just a little more info without giving a truth serum. I must say that the Compaq tech that I talked to taday was very informative about everything that I asked, I guess when push comes to shove they give in a little, and I mean a little. Well I'll take this controller card back to Best Buy then stop off and pick-up "12 ICE COLD BREWS" and try to forget the hecktic weekend I had. Thanks for your help Hell_Yes, I'm truly greatful.

Man this is some good cold beer, I'd offer ya one but.....you know! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif

PS, Here is the SiS info,

SiS530 - Host, PCI, 3D A.G.P. Video/Graphics & Memory Controller
SiS5595 - PCI SYSTEM I/O
The P5 A.G.P./VGA chipset, SiS530/5595, provides a high performance/cost index Desktop/Mobile solution for the Intel Pentium P54C/P55C, AMD K5/K6/K6-II, and Cyrix M1/M2 3D A.G.P. with VGA system.

The Host, PCI, 3D A.G.P. Video/Graphics & Memory Controller, SiS530 integrates the Host-to-PCI bridge, the PCI interface, the L2 cache controller, the DRAM controller, the high performance hardware 2D/3D VGA controller, and the PCI IDE controller.
The Host interface supports Synchronous /Asynchronous Host/DRAM clocking configuration to eminently improve the system performance and DRAM compatibility issues.
The L2 cache controller can support up to 2 M P.B. SRAM, and the DRAM controller can support SDRAM memory up to 1.5 GBytes with three double-sided SDRAM DIMMs configuration. The cacheable DRAM sizes support up to 256 Mbytes.

The built-in fast PCI IDE controller supports the ATA PIO/DMA, and the Ultra DMA33/66 function that support the data transfer rate up to 66 MB/s. It provides the separate data path for two IDE channels that can eminently improve the performance under the multi-tasking environment.

The A.G.P. internal interface is supported for integrated H/W 3D VGA controller. The integrated VGA controller is a high performance and targeted at 3D graphics application. In addition, the integrated 3D Video/Graphics controller adopts the 64bits 100MHz host bus interface high technology to improve the performance eminently. To cost-effective the PC system, the share system memory architecture will be adopted and it can flexibly using the 2MB, 4MB and 8MB frame buffer size from programming the system BIOS. To enhance the system performance, SiS530 also supports the local frame buffer solution.
In addition to providing the standard interface for CRT monitors, it also provides the Digital Flat Panel Port (DFP) for a standard interface between a personal computer and a digital flat panel monitor. This port allows a host computer to connect directly to an external flat panel monitor without the need for analog-to-digital conversion found in most flat panel monitors today.

The SiS5595 PCI system I/O integrates the PCI-to-ISA bridge with the DDMA, PC/PCI DMA and Serial IRQ capability, the ACPI/Legacy PMU, the Data Acquisition Interface, the Universal Serial Bus host/hub interface, and the ISA bus interface which contains the ISA bus controller, the DMA controllers, the interrupt controllers, the Timers and the Real Time Clock (RTC). It also integrates the Keyboard Controller and PS/2 mouse interface that can support keyboard power on function for users to power on system by entering the hot key or password from keyboard.

The built-in USB controller, which is fully compliant to OHCI (Open Host Controller Interface), provides two USB ports capable of running full/low speed USB devices.
The Data Acquisition Interface offers the ability of monitoring and reporting the environmental condition of the PC. It could monitor 5 positive analog voltage inputs, 2 Fan speed inputs, and one temperature input.
In addition, SiS5595 also supports ACPI function to meet Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) 1.0 specification for Windows 98 environment, it can support power-management timer, Power button, Real-time clock alarm wake up, more sleeping state, ACPI LED for sleeping and working state, LAN wake up, Modem Ring In wake up, and OnNow initiative function.

[This message has been edited by BMED (edited 02-22-2000).]

Hell_Yes
02-22-00, 10:28 PM
Great News!!
Think I'll have a cold one myself!!

BMED
02-22-00, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Hell_Yes:

Great News!!
Think I'll have a cold one myself!!
Enjoy! Comment: The Bios for this Compaq MB is over-rated. Why Compaq installed this very user friendly Bios on this piece of S@#! MB is beyond me. I will assume they think everyone is "stupid" towards their product! These beers are starting to kick in, gotta go. Have a great nite! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif