PDA

View Full Version : Ad-Hoc and 802.11N



JohnO
05-05-08, 10:10 AM
A while back I posted about using 802.11A and ad-hoc for use at trade shows,
where 2.4 was saturated and all but unusable. 802.11A is fine, but the
hardware is difficult to locate, and probably going to get worse. I did find
a ZyXEL AG-220 that seems to fit the bill, and its control software is easy
to use. But I need a long-term solution that I can keep buying into the
future.

So, why not just use 802.11n?? (I said to myself when I realized it also
used the 5 GHz channels.) Brilliant!

So I picked up a pair of D-Link DWA-140 USB adapters, but the control
software won't let me setup an ad-hoc LAN on any N (5 GHz) channels. WZC and
the adapter's driver don't take me there either, as far as I can tell. Drat.
So, here comes my question, finally:

Does the current version of the 802.11n standard provide for or allow for
ad-hoc on 5 GHz channels? Maybe I just need a different brand, one that
allows ad-hoc on 5 GHz.

-John O

smlunatick
05-05-08, 11:57 AM
On May 5, 11:10*am, "JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote:
> A while back I posted about using 802.11A and ad-hoc for use at trade shows,
> where 2.4 was saturated and all but unusable. 802.11A is fine, but the
> hardware is difficult to locate, and probably going to get worse. I did find
> a ZyXEL AG-220 that seems to fit the bill, and its control software is easy
> to use. But I need a long-term solution that I can keep buying into the
> future.
>
> So, why not just use 802.11n?? (I said to myself when I realized it also
> used the 5 GHz channels.) Brilliant!
>
> So I picked up a pair of D-Link DWA-140 USB adapters, but the control
> software won't let me setup an ad-hoc LAN on any N (5 GHz) channels. WZC and
> the adapter's driver don't take me there either, as far as I can tell. Drat.
> So, here comes my question, finally:
>
> Does the current version of the 802.11n standard provide for or allow for
> ad-hoc on 5 GHz channels? Maybe I just need a different brand, one that
> allows ad-hoc on 5 GHz.
>
> -John O

I believe that the 802.11n would not be using the 802.11a signal
channels. N is supposed to be directly compatible with 802.11g and
802.11b. These seem to all use the 2.4GHz signals.

JohnO
05-05-08, 02:42 PM
> As always, infractructure mode is far more reliable and easier than
> ad-hoc, so I'd
> advise to use a router and save a lot of nerve cells (or hair... whatever
> you value more).

Yeah, I know it. The application is a Remote Desktop session between a
laptop and a mobile robot, and sales people doing presentations at random
places. Infrastructure is a non-starter, unfortunately. That's also why I'm
trying to get away from 2.4, you never know what's in the area, and the
sales staff can't perform a site survey. ;-) They can't switch channels
either, it's got to come out of the box and work wherever they may end up.
I've been somewhat lucky with 11G on channel 1 so far, but the total
available throughput on a single channel is so friggin low that any other
device on the channel just about kills the connection. "Three channels is
plenty" is right up there with 640k. LOL

The little ZyXEL USB plug has an "AP mode" which seems to work pretty well
in A. I can use that on the robot and the laptop can connect at full speed,
really no different than ad-hoc when making the connection, but maybe a bit
faster. I don't know if any other brands offer that mode.

Is there any A channel that's least likely used? How would I choose one over
the other?

-John O

Lem
05-05-08, 03:31 PM
JohnO wrote:
> A while back I posted about using 802.11A and ad-hoc for use at trade shows,
> where 2.4 was saturated and all but unusable. 802.11A is fine, but the
> hardware is difficult to locate, and probably going to get worse. I did find
> a ZyXEL AG-220 that seems to fit the bill, and its control software is easy
> to use. But I need a long-term solution that I can keep buying into the
> future.
>
> So, why not just use 802.11n?? (I said to myself when I realized it also
> used the 5 GHz channels.) Brilliant!
>
> So I picked up a pair of D-Link DWA-140 USB adapters, but the control
> software won't let me setup an ad-hoc LAN on any N (5 GHz) channels. WZC and
> the adapter's driver don't take me there either, as far as I can tell. Drat.
> So, here comes my question, finally:
>
> Does the current version of the 802.11n standard provide for or allow for
> ad-hoc on 5 GHz channels? Maybe I just need a different brand, one that
> allows ad-hoc on 5 GHz.
>
> -John O
>
>

You are correct that 802.11n provides for operation on both the 2.4 GHz
band (like b and g) and the 5 GHz band (like a). Just because the spec
permits such operation, however, does not mean that all products
marketed as 802.11n do both bands or all functions on both bands.

Not to say that this product will do what you want, but Netgear makes a
5 GHz *only* 802.11n access point/bridge that supports ad hoc
connections: WNHDE111 http://tinyurl.com/43j57a

I don't know if Netgear makes 802.11n 5 GHz USB adapters ... you'll have
to search the Netgear site.


--
Lem -- MS-MVP

To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
05-05-08, 04:23 PM
Hi
The truth is that there is No future investment in any of this staff, and
especially in Draft-N (there is No 802.11n). When the standard comes out
whatever is sold now as draft-N might or might Not be compatible.
A plastic/silicone gizmo that cost about $100 is hardly an investment that
has to be guaranteed for the future. 802.11a is Not going to change and if
it works for you buy a 802.11b/g/a Access Point land use it for the
foreseeable future.
If in few years, there will be something better, then you could switch.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote in message
news:OMuknJsrIHA.5580@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>A while back I posted about using 802.11A and ad-hoc for use at trade
>shows, where 2.4 was saturated and all but unusable. 802.11A is fine, but
>the hardware is difficult to locate, and probably going to get worse. I did
>find a ZyXEL AG-220 that seems to fit the bill, and its control software is
>easy to use. But I need a long-term solution that I can keep buying into
>the future.
>
> So, why not just use 802.11n?? (I said to myself when I realized it also
> used the 5 GHz channels.) Brilliant!
>
> So I picked up a pair of D-Link DWA-140 USB adapters, but the control
> software won't let me setup an ad-hoc LAN on any N (5 GHz) channels. WZC
> and the adapter's driver don't take me there either, as far as I can tell.
> Drat. So, here comes my question, finally:
>
> Does the current version of the 802.11n standard provide for or allow for
> ad-hoc on 5 GHz channels? Maybe I just need a different brand, one that
> allows ad-hoc on 5 GHz.
>
> -John O
>

Pavel A.
05-05-08, 05:47 PM
"JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote in message
news:OzeGVhurIHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> The little ZyXEL USB plug has an "AP mode" which seems to work pretty well
> in A. I can use that on the robot and the laptop can connect at full
> speed,

Duh! if you can find a client adapter that has AP driver in Windows - this
is the best option.

> Is there any A channel that's least likely used? How would I choose one
> over the other?

Sorry, for this IMHO you'd better consult with local specialists. AFAIK use
of A channels is
geo dependent and subject to local regulations. Otherwise... just try and
find a channel where
SNR is better.

Regards,
--PA

JohnO
05-06-08, 07:15 AM
> Sorry, for this IMHO you'd better consult with local specialists. AFAIK
> use of A channels is
> geo dependent and subject to local regulations. Otherwise... just try and
> find a channel where
> SNR is better.
>

Unfortunately I can't predict where the system will be used, other than it's
in the US. Two weeks ago Jackson MS, or someplace nearby...last week
somewhere in the KC MO area, next week here in Michigan someplace...and
there aren't any techs accompanying the system....just non-tech sales staff.

I'll just pick a random channel and hope for the best.

-John O