PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet card access???

Recordlord
02-05-00, 03:03 AM
What are some tips or tweaks you guys use to speed up the pci bus are there any? If you could speed up the pci bus you would gain faster access to your ethernet card. I have a Compaq 5340 AMD k6-2 400 O/Cd to 450 mhz it runs cool with stock fan. (4.5 x 100) I cannot tweak the pci bus with the bios installed in this machine. I am waiting for Athlon prices to drop more until I upgrade.

I believe the answer to everyones ultimate Q lies in the pci bus. If you have fsb of 100 mhz your pci bus is 33 mhz. The Athlons on certain mobos will have 200 mhz fsb, and your pci bus will be 66mhz. With this higher pci bus speed I think you will really see a huge difference in accessing the net via cable modem. I would like to hear from anyone with PIIIs or Athlons to find out what kind of performance they are getting. Particulary, @home subscribers.

Lets put or heads together and find out how to speed access to that ethernet card. I know there are some out there who do have a good signal and still have slow DLs and poor upstream.

Brent
02-05-00, 03:16 AM
Ok first of all I'm moving this into the Computer Hardware forum real quick then I'll answer this for ya, it's a complicated and detailed answer

Brent
02-05-00, 03:31 AM
Ok here is the answer, don't say I didn't warn ya ;-)

Ok you said "I have a Compaq 5340 AMD k6-2 400 O/Cd to 450 mhz"

Ok now tell me how did you overclock it? Did you change the Front Side Bus (FSB)? I am assuming you did and that your CPU is multiplier locked.

Ok the *normal* FSB setting for PII's and K6-2's and up operating at 300Mhz and up work on a 100Mhz FSB. FSB works in direct correlation to PCI and AGP bus. Meaning the speed of the PCI bus is 1/3 that of the FSB. Just use math here, what is 100x1/3 well that equals 33.3Mhz for the PCI bus by default.

Now when you overclock your PC by FSB (the standard overclocking method now) you directly influence the PCI bus. So lets set up a scenerio.

You have a K6-2 at 400Mhz (100Mhz FSB) that would be a multiplier of 4 and a FSB of 100, 100x4 = 400Mhz. To increase that to 450Mhz you increase the FSB to 112Mhz so 112x4 = 448Mhz which is really interpreted by the PC as 450Mhz. Now since you have the FSB at 112 well just mulitply that by your 1/3 divider for PCI and you get 112x1/3 = 37.3Mhz so now your PCI is running at 37Mhz.

On newer mobos you can change the divider to 1/1 or 1/3 or 1/4 for greater overclocing potential without hurting your other components.

There is literally NO WAY you are gonna do 200Mhz FSB. Wanna know why? Your PCI stuff couldn't handle it even with a 1/4 divider, stuff just wouldn't work it's too high of a setting. Also your AGP video card would not work at such a high setting. And lastly your memory cannot handle 200Mhz FSB PERIOD!

Now by overclocking your PCI and FSB you do get more MB/sec transfer rate throughout your busses BUT the difference ins't noticable!!!! ONLY if you have LOTS of PCI devices and I mean LOTS will it be effected.

Plus some of your PCI components may not like high PCI settings.

Well this has turned into a long post and I could write a WHOLE article on Overclocking! This area is VERY huge and there is ALOT to it.

If you have anymore specific questions LMK

------------------
Brent a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster of:
eXplosive3D www.explosive3d.com (http://www.explosive3d.com)
Gamers Reality www.gamersreality.com (http://www.gamersreality.com)

Out the 100TX, through the switch, down the cable modem, over the fiber optics, off the bridge, past the head end office....nothing but Net

Brent
02-06-00, 07:10 PM
^ up so Recordlord can read it ^

NoOneSpecial
02-07-00, 11:35 AM
Just thought I'd throw one little note in here. The K62-400s are NOT multiplier locked (at least none of the 3 that I have/had are) And it's quite easy to simply kick the multiplier up to 4.5 for 450Mhz.