PDA

View Full Version : Slow modem, please help!!!!

Lisando
01-29-00, 09:44 PM
I have a 56k conexant data/fax modem, and when I download, it does it at a rate of 4.* or 5.*/kbps. I've tried calling Compaq, but their customer service sucks! All they said was that it depends on the number of hops you take before you start downloading. DUH!!! I seriously doubt that's gonna slow my download time to 4.*/kbps. Anyone have any advice on this? I would really appreciate it, as this is my first post here. I hope this is the right area for it. Thanks!

cableboy
01-29-00, 10:38 PM
Hey Lisando. When I had my 56k I would average about the same speeds that you are getting. There are so many factors to your speed to the internet it is a disgrace. Here are some factors I can think of off the top of my head...

1. Do you have your phone line going through any splitters?

2. How old is the phone line?

3. Have you gotten any of those "tweaker" programs, or done any registry changes?

4. At what times are you registering these speeds? All the time, or just at peak times?

5. Actually, the farther away, and the # of hops you have to take to download, the longer it is going to take.

6. One big problem is the noise on the telephone lines. Noise is a big problem with slowing down dialups.

There are probably more, but I can't remember them.

cb

l3lind69
01-31-00, 12:59 AM
Lisando, you're speeds are normal, if not very very fast for a 56k
divide your connect speed by 8 and that is the optimal k/sec speeds you will see, the 56k is measured in kilobits (tiny) but k/sec is measured in kilobytes (massive) and the conversion is 8:1

------------------
How do you become immortal? Ask me tomarrow...

Lisando
02-02-00, 10:26 PM
Hey thanks Cableboy, I was using a splitter, so I hooked this baby up without a splitter, and my connection speed went from 49,333bps, to 50,667bps! It might not be much, but faster is better. Oh, congratulations on your new puter. Have fun with it. Again, Thanks alot!

fooldigit
02-05-00, 09:02 AM
Oh Oh ....
Sorry for you but it seems that you're mistaken for something...
Let me explain :
You are confusing bits and bytes.
As 1 byte (B) is equal to 8 bits (b), you can easy compute yourself :
a 56Kb/s modem is in fact a 7KB/s (56 divided by 8)
And it should be always noticed like this :
bit : b (little)
byte : B (big one)
........... So for example : a 128Kb ISDN modem on 2 channels (A+B) is a 64kb ISDN modem which also is then a 8KB/s ISDN modem.
But of course Vendors prefer to announce bits instead of Bytes............
They are lamerz.

Originally posted by Lisando:
I have a 56k conexant data/fax modem, and when I download, it does it at a rate of 4.* or 5.*/kbps. I've tried calling Compaq, but their customer service sucks! All they said was that it depends on the number of hops you take before you start downloading. DUH!!! I seriously doubt that's gonna slow my download time to 4.*/kbps. Anyone have any advice on this? I would really appreciate it, as this is my first post here. I hope this is the right area for it. Thanks!

------------------

MeMbRaX helps you.

glussier
02-11-00, 07:37 PM
Just a little correction, I'll take Lisando new connect speed as example (ie: 56.7kb/s):

To calculate is optimum download speed he would do 56.7/9= 6.3 kB/s.

Why 9? Because there is 8bits for data + 1 stop bit.