Epson printer
BA speakers
Cable modem
Ethernet card

Im going to get:

Athlon 700 MHz
128 Ram
Sound Blaster Live Value
Voodoo 3 3500 (I know! no 32 bit, but I want the tv in/ out capabilities)
10 gig @ 7200 RPM
6x6x24
52x cd (Im going to watch dvd on my tv)

Oh, and I have heard they are eventually going to be making games in DVD format. Know of any that already are? I think I will hold off on the dvd until they make some good games on it.

Thanks for all the help!

[This message has been edited by cableboy (edited 03-12-2000).]

Slide
01-26-00, 09:21 PM
Hey, Cableboy... We don't care

cableboy
01-27-00, 08:03 PM
I am sorry that there are people like you that actually come to these boards. If you had read previous posts you would recognize that many people helped, and were a part of giving me advice on building this new computer. I told them I would tell them the outcome of my decisions based on the suggestions they offered me. So please, next time you post something speak for yourself, and not everyone at this board because there were some people who will be interested in what my final decisions were.

Thanks,

cb

Slide
01-27-00, 08:10 PM
Hey Cableboy... Please accept my most humble
apologies... I hope you and your new putor
have many happy days together.

Slide

cableboy
01-27-00, 08:18 PM
Apology accepted.

cb

ExtraTrstl
01-28-00, 12:50 AM
Cable boy I know of 2 games on DVD, just because i got them with my DVD drive. Spycraft (which I have in 3 cd format) and Zork Grand inquisitor, I will sell them to you if you want! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
"What's the point of power if you can't abuse it?"

loki
01-28-00, 07:45 AM
Hey cableboy. Another game thats out on DVD is Baldur's Gate. Which must be real nice. Not having to change disks at each new town. 5 CDs or 1 DVD that is up to all of us. As more games start using multiple CDs more and more of these games will be on DVD. Since more games are using better video sequences I'm imagining many more games on DVD. For just a little more you can buy the DVD-ROM drive which is all you would need. No point in paying $250US for a DVD-kit.

02-05-00, 04:15 PM
I am also looking forward to more games on the dvd format.

Recordlord
02-05-00, 08:37 PM
What mobo are you going to be using? Find out what pci bus speeeds it will support the higher pci bus speeds the faster cable access you will get. <-- IMO

I am wanting an Athlon bad. Would like to have a 600 mhz. I hear they O/C like nobodies business.

If you are a overclocker stop reading here. You probably already know what I wrote in the following paragraph!!

Oh yeah before you get the processor be sure to find out what voltages they come in. Like my processor now is a AMD K6-2 400mhz it comes in voltages of 2.2 and 2.4. The 2.2 will have the better oportunity to be O/Cd. So just incase you dont know, go with the lower voltage. If you change your mind later and want to try some overclockig you will have better results with the lower voltage!!! Yeah, your welcome anytime I can help!!

Brent
02-06-00, 06:07 PM
"What mobo are you going to be using? Find out what pci bus speeeds it will support the higher pci bus speeds the faster cable access you will get. <-- IMO"

NOT!!!!!! I already explained this in another thread in this forum. :-)

Hey cableboy, what Mobo you using? Cause the Main problem with Athlons today is the motherboards, there are none that are really that great yet.

But the Athlon chip itslef is AWESOME! and it DOES overclock VERY WELL :-)

Oh and BTW the ATI Rage Fury Pro also has TV Out and TV In, it's a 32MB AGP vid card.

Good luck with your new system!

cableboy
02-06-00, 07:22 PM
Thanks Brent. Eventually, when I have this system all tweaked and tuned, I am going to do another upgrade. Hopefully by then the ram prices will be down and I can invest in maybe another 512 MB http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif I am looking forward to upcoming Voodoo 5 boards, and maybe see what Nvidia cranks out as thier new chip.

As for the mobo: ATX IR1 MS-6167

here is what i found on google:

this computer has my mobo:
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/pcdir/reviews/1999/12/mesh/

and here are some more references:

the "official specs"- http://www.msicomputer.com/products/detail.asp?ProductID=127

this is a review of the board: http://www.gamersdepot.com/rev_msi_mobo_a.htm#FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The above article is probably a little old, because my mobo has some better features than some of the ones listed there.

I am very sorry to say that I only know the basics on overclocking. I am starting to overclock some old systems I have lying around, but I admit I am still a newbie. Guess you have to start somewhere, right?

What are the fastest front side busses that mobos support?

Heh, my 128MB of ram... gone. I am down to only 4MB left. It is time for a serious upgrade in that department. I have like 15 programs monitering everthing my puter does.

cb

Brent, by the way check your mail...

Brent
02-06-00, 10:23 PM
yo cableboy, was I suppose to get something in my email? I just checked it, nothin's there

dluv427
02-07-00, 05:30 AM
First off, why get a voodoo3 when u can get a geforce?? i have mine, and it is unreal, i love it. i can run any game at 1600x1200, and it runs fast as hell and it has tv in and out. next, screw HPCDRW, first off, that isnt scsi, and second off if you want to dubb playstation or computer games, your gonna have trouble. go with a plextor 8x writer...screw the cdrw, does anyone ever use a cdrw, when u can get cdr's for less then $.50 a piece???? other than those 2 things, ur getting one hell of a computer.

Originally posted by cableboy:
Here is what I am going with...

Im going to keep my:

19" moniter
Epson printer
BA speakers
Cable modem
Ethernet card

Im going to get:

Athlon 700 MHz
128 Ram
Sound Blaster Live Value
Voodoo 3 3500 (I know! no 32 bit, but I want the tv in/ out capabilities)
15 gig @ 7200 RPM
HP CDRW 8x4x32 (thanks brent for the suggestion)
52x cd (Im going to watch dvd on my tv)

Oh, and I have heard they are eventually going to be making games in DVD format. Know of any that already are? I think I will hold off on the dvd until they make some good games on it.

Thanks for all the help!

Bouncer
02-07-00, 02:00 PM
Wish I'd jumped in this sooner. My fault for bein a slacker and hanging out over in CableModems/DSL all the time. (LOL)

Personal reccomendation for Price Performance. (What I'm building)

Full tower case with Antec-PP303X PS
(Already Purchased, c'mon UPS!!!)
Athlon 500 OC to 700 & Asus K7M Athlon MB
Asus V6800DDR GeForce Video Card
Aureal Montegro II Quadzilla (already Purchased)
17in Monitor (Pre-existing)
32X CDROM (Pre-existing)
CD writer (Pre-existing)
SMC 10/100 NIC (pre-existing)
3COM CMX Cable Modem (pre-existing)
18.0 WD EIDE ATA/66 Expert HD (Already Purchased) 260.00
HP Color 860something or other printer.

Various other Odds n' Ends.

I'll Buy the GeForce Card next, and then the MB/Athlon Combo. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Muuuuuuahahahahaha!!!
Of course, by the time I put all this together it'll be obsolete. (LOL)

One serious Point in all of this. The ATHLON is NOTORIOUS of being VERY PICKY about POWER SUPPLIES. So make sure you buy a good one.
visit www.anandtech.com (http://www.anandtech.com) They just did a review of Athlon Compatible Power Supplies.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

[This message has been edited by Bouncer (edited 02-07-2000).]

cableboy
02-07-00, 02:09 PM
thanks for the comments. yea, after I recieved the hp cdrw I wasn't happy with it, so I got a sony. It works great, I have already copied several games and about $200 worth of cds from my friends! As for the graphx card, well- lets just say I was really confused. Many people told me this about one card, and this about another. So the guy I was buying it from (new) was going to give me this great deal on the voodoo 3 3500TV. ($150). I figured I could go with that, then try it out agains't some of my friends cards. Eventually though, there will be newer and better cards, and when I am more experienced in the ways of them I will be able to pick out the better of them.

I am using the cdrw, because it offers more flexibility. Here, I just got a 50 pack of cdrws- 74 min, 650 MB for $29. Thats about 58 cents each. Not bad.

Besides these couple of issues, I am loving this system.

cb

Recordlord
02-07-00, 02:33 PM
In MY OPINION: The faster the pci bus speed the faster the access to the ethernet card. I have read where some Athlon FSB speeds are going to be 200mhz. Therefore, the pci bus speed WILL be 66mhz. I read your post Brent, I fully understand arithmatic. I just want him to get the best board possible for his cable connection that he and everyone else pays intirely to much for. I will find the mobo and get back with you.

Brent
02-07-00, 03:11 PM
That's not true, it's only 200Mhz between the CPU and the Chipset, the Memory and the PCI Subsystem will still opperate at 100Mhz FSB with a 1/3 divider to PCI so PCI will still be 33Mhz

There is no way your PCI cards could handle a PCI bus of 66Mhz.

Read up a little more you will see what I mean.

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 02-07-2000).]

JBJ
02-15-00, 01:15 PM
As far as video cards go, I suggest ASUS. They're an all-around good company. Everything I've had of theirs is solid. I have a 6600 Deluxe. It's a GEForce card with video in and out. It also has good DVD decoding. My card is only SDR, but they do have a DDR version of the same card. However, like I've said before, technology changes weekly. You're never going to have the latest and greatest. Just pick something and go with it.

cableboy
02-15-00, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input. I am going to just keep upgrading my peripherals as I deem neccessary. I will look into that card. I also need to get some ram! Hope those prices drop soon. I have 128 fillled up to 126!

cb

Fixxer
02-15-00, 05:31 PM
I used to drool over ATI stuff, but I have to say they are SLOW.. Not sure about the MAXX but the other stuff is lagging behind, altho their tv in/out is about the best.

I want a Athlon so bad, but I'm waiting for the 1gig+ chips to come out, until then I'm putting together a P5A/K62 450.. Its cheap and its better then my K6 233 so why not? I have the other parts I upgraded so I'll be able to put my orginal setup on the 233 back together and have 2 computers. One thing on the Athlon's tho, don't buy yet if you haven't already.. the new mobo's will be coming out soon and there is about a 20% performance increase I hear

justatech
02-20-00, 11:15 PM
Hey cableboy,
You said you have 15 programs mointoring everything your computer does. If you close them you will have more available RAM. Why didn't anyone else post about that?

cableboy
02-21-00, 09:30 PM
I know I could get better performance, but I neeeeeeed those programs http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif ... to test my performance. Does that even make sense? I use programs to test my performance, when in fact they make my performance that I am trying to test to make better worse? ugh.

cb

------------------
Want some rights? Check out the new @home Bill of Rights page!

@Home Bill of Rights Home Page (under MAJOR construction.) (http://angelfire.com/de/johns)

@Home Bill of Rights Forum (http://pub6.ezboard.com/bcableusersbillofrights)

Email me with some ideas/suggestions!