PDA

View Full Version : pros & cons of a partioned hard drive? good or bad?

wilkie d
01-14-00, 11:13 PM
IM considering partioning my hard drive, and wondering pros and cons. I would like to put games on one side and " stuff " on the other side? I have a 20 gig HD. Could I reformat one side at a time?and how many patrons should I make? and do you think my game would run better or no difference? the main reason I want to do this is so I can reformat my hd without always zip disking every thing. thanks , sorry for all these rookie Q's

cableboy
01-23-00, 03:27 PM
If you need more space, get a cdrw. If you just want to be more organized, it's a good idea to partition.

cb

[This message has been edited by cableboy (edited 02-22-2000).]

downhill
02-01-00, 07:40 PM
wilkie d Partitioning your hard drive is a great idea. make the c drive with all your windows stuff ect.. one for your games, one for your apps ect. Makes it easier to find things, to defrag, and scandisk, and to reformat too. To make it easy on you, there is a program called Partition It. It works like a charm.
downhill http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

hmswhitestar
02-02-00, 08:56 AM
Hey downhill you forgot the best point of partioning, less wasted space. Mostly because the larger you hard drive gets the larger file size by separating you drive into to partions you can save quite a bit of space.

glussier
02-10-00, 01:22 AM
If you are using win9x with fat32 make your partitions no bigger than 8.2 gb this way you'll keep the cluster size as small as possible (4kb)anything over that and your cluster size will be 8kb (lots of wasted space).

kareltje
02-17-00, 09:53 AM
It is usualy used with a bootmanger to use two different OS beside eachother
an example w95/w98/w2000/winnt (this would be on 4 different partitions) note : winnt 4.0 has a standard bootmanager!

you also could give them a different format (fat 16/32/ntfs)
and ofcourse it's safer for your data to have it on different partitions!

greettzzzz

Kareltje

------------------

[This message has been edited by kareltje (edited 02-17-2000).]

Hell_Yes
02-20-00, 10:24 PM
The three practical uses for partitioning is organization (Subdirectories will do), multiple OS's (no other way around it!) and allocation unit size.....

Allocation unit (AU) size is important when dealing with a great number of small files. One thousand 1k files can chew up 32 Meg of HD real estate if you have 32k au's. This is key for you C: drive with the windows directory (A plethora of tiny files under 95/98) However if you have mainly larger files (Multimedia stuff like mp3's and avi's) Then au size becomes far less relevent.

A 20G drive will have 1.2 million au's in 16k units. Even an au eater like C:\windows will take a long time to digest that much drive.

Well that's my 2.1 yen

David

heart_live1314
09-12-10, 05:49 AM
I think, partition your hard drive, this is an good idea.
Like me, I like partition my hard drive anytime.
Extend partition, shrink partition, format partition and so on, these operation can improve its performance. hah, really good.:)

The Dude
09-12-10, 06:27 AM
Partitioning your drive, Good Idea. :nod:
Bumping a 10 year old thread, Not a good idea. :nope:

:p

CableDude
09-12-10, 07:38 AM
Uhhhh......:wth:

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-10, 08:51 AM
They'll be back in a few days to add some spam affiliate link in their sig.

loop2kil
09-12-10, 02:00 PM
They'll be back in a few days to add some spam affiliate link in their sig.

most likely will be offering us an unbelievable deal on the new Iphones.

CableDude
09-12-10, 07:17 PM
most likely will be offering us an unbelievable deal on the new Iphones.

:rotfl: