PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking my 500mhz Intel Celeron

Snake
11-17-99, 02:32 AM
I have a few questions to ask, and would like to thank everyone in advance for any help or advice.

Ok, first, what would I be better off doing. Overclocking my CPU, or BUS speed? This is a new computer, so would my PCI devices be affected? And would I notice a difference? Also, I read in the Overclocking guide that I may have to change my RAM and Hard drive settings under the BIOS. What would I have to changce it too? And the final two questions.. Does anyone know where I can find FAQ's or instrustions on how to overclock my system, and what is a good, cheap cooling fan to buy? I have two fans on my Compaq.

Thanks again.

------------------
-Snake

FATED
11-18-99, 11:52 AM
SNAKE--YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO OVERCLOCK WALK YOU THRU. YOUR M/BOARD MUST ALLOW FRONT SIDE BUS CHANGES IN ORDER TO O/C. ALL INTEL CHIPS ARE LOCKED AND THE MULTIPLIER IN MOST CASES CANNOT BE CHANGED. FIND OUT WHAT M/BOARD YOU HAVE THEN FIND A COMPUTER FRIEND WHO HAS DONE SOME O/C. IT CAN GET HAIRY IN A HURRY.

sport
11-25-99, 06:32 PM
http://www.gamecenter.com/Hardware/Doit/Overclock/ try here for some good info on overclocking.

jonathan_morris
12-04-99, 12:07 AM
Snake you are really not going to gain a whole heck of a lot by overclocking. The maximum gain since the advent of intel's fixed multipliers is roughly 15-18 Mhz. You are risking serious damage to your machine (since your knowledge is very limited in this area), for little to no noticeable performance boosts. A little aside note that has nothing to do with a CPU overclock, but you may see its relevance, I overclocked my first Voodoo2 card, and it worked like a charm for 2 months, then it crapped out overnight. I had supplemental fans and cooling ducts, which didn't help at all. Consider this choice wisely. Good Luck.

-=[RDog]=-
12-04-99, 10:49 PM
well Jon the Celerons are set at 66fbs , thats y their cheaper - so if you set the fbs higher than 66mhz - there is a big increase - 4 instance a 300a multiplyer 4.5
set 66mhz bus - set the bus up to 100mhz thats 100 * 4.5 = 450 see the differnce
66 * 4.5 = 300 - thats a 150mhz speed increase PLUS the bus speed is faster thus making the increase a Large increase , if u could call it that. :]

outrider
12-16-99, 11:47 AM
I've had a celeron 300a@450 for about a year now and it still runs great. I think the 300a and the 366 are the only ones worth ocing since they can hit the 100 bus with ease. Plus they are not messing your hd, vid card etc up since they run normal again at that bus. You can have major problems running 83 or sometimes even 75 bus.

I also have a celeron 466@525 for the last six months as well(75 bus) but to be honest, the 300a@450 outperforms it because it's running 100 bus.

The most you could really hope for with that 500 is running it on the 75 bus and that might even be a good idea(I don't know much about compaq) I use an abit bh6 mb so it's easy to oc with it's softmenu.

Also, you may not have pc100 ram in there which helps greatly when ocing.

Tass
12-16-99, 09:23 PM
What's smarter, upping the fbs or the multiplier? I don't have 100mhz bus speed, only up to 83, but I can set multiplier at 8x
which should I do? (I'm running a c500)

Baitcaster
12-19-99, 05:41 PM
tass
the only thing u can do , is up the front side bus speed.
Celerys are clock locked, meaning, changing the multiplier won't do diddly fer u.
Only problem i can see fer u is, using an oddball front bus speed. The pci bus speed is derived from front side bus speed.
PCI bus speed is set at 33 mhz./ 1/2 a 66 mhz front side bus, and 1/3 of a 100 mhz front bus speed.
Thats the reason the celery 366 is so popular fer o'clockin'. Uppin the front bus to 100 doesn't hurt your pci bus. But usin a 75 or 83 bus, things can get kinda hairy, since your pci bus is now running faster than it should be. It can lead to corrupted data, and a complete re-install o windows.

Just a warning http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif

Cypher256bit
12-20-99, 11:01 PM
www.tomshardware.com (http://www.tomshardware.com)
This is a pretty good site for OC your unit. Getting advice from a BB may not be the best idea for something as delicate as OCing. Hope this helps!

------------------
Fear God
Eccl 12:13