PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to the forum and......

Blitzkrieg
11-13-99, 08:02 AM
Hi. i am new here and i was wondering about a few things. any help would be greatly appreciated. im not a computer genious, but i know enuff to get me by. first off i have a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop. it has a pII233 with MMX and 64MB ram with a 4.02Gig hard drive. It suits me fine as i dont run alot of games or 15 applications at once. i have downloaded a few programs designed to optimze my computer and windows. they are : winboost 2000, windows power tools and PC Accelerator 3000. it is probably redundant using all of these but so far i have increased my RAM from 64MB to 110MB and somehow my computer benchmarked at 248Mhz [pII-233Mhz] even though i havent used any settings to overclock it. [ i dont fully understand how to overclock anyways ] the benchmark was done before any of these other things were done and i have yet to benchmark it again because i cant find anywhere to download another program. i guess what i should ask is, is it even possible to overclock my laptop? or is it dangeruos considering the small space it is packaged in. the internal fan hardly ever comes on. i cant honestly remember the last time ive heard it kick the fan on to cool the pc down. any answers will be appreciated. thanks to all who read or post replies.

-Blitzkrieg

Blades
11-13-99, 03:36 PM
Yo,

I'd advise not overclocking a laptop.
Like you said it is too small of a space for the extra heat.

EliteHacker
11-15-99, 05:57 PM
Don't touch that laptop, unless you want to fry it, your computer sounds fine, but don't be fooled by those programs, winboost is crap dude and did you pyshically upgrade the ram?? I didn't fully understand.

EliteHacker
11-15-99, 05:57 PM
Don't touch that laptop, unless you want to fry it, your computer sounds fine, but don't be fooled by those programs, winboost is crap dude and did you pyshically upgrade the ram?? I didn't fully understand.

------------------
"A little bit of knowledge can get someone in a lot of trouble."

Blitzkrieg
11-16-99, 06:50 AM
na, i havent physicaly increased the ram, the windows power tools program incresed it. well not really but it does. here ill woute what it says..."...works by forming memory buffers in the EC00, E800, E000, EFFF,EBFF, and E7FF regions or RAM. these buffers are then compressed and later remagnified by a new algorithm increseing the RAM size 3-21MB." there, i do howerever plan on getting another 128MB of ram for a total 192MB of actual RAM. could someone please recommend a benchmarking program to me so i can see where it stands at? i downloaded some SiSoft Sandra thing or whatever and it had a benmarking part in it. it shows just a tiny bit better than a pII266 in the whetstone and Dhrystone. [ is shows the 266 to be at dhrystone-630mips and whetstone-300mflops. mine is -Dhrystone-631mips and Whetstone-306mflops. ] if you know of a better benchmarkin program please hook me up as i really wanna know without a doubt what this thing really is running at. thanks for the posts ;D

-Blitzkrieg

EliteHacker
11-16-99, 11:13 PM
I reccomd Zdnet's Winbench man, find it at download.com or zdnet.com. That'll tell you the real specs, make sure nothing is running in the background when you perform the tests.

------------------
"A little bit of knowledge can get someone in a lot of trouble."

-=[RDog]=-
12-04-99, 10:03 PM
Yea i wouldent advise you to o/c a Laptop but insted of running the memprogram , if i were u i get the program called Cacheman - serch 4 it on www.softseek.com (http://www.softseek.com) - it fixed your vchache - put it like this my friend resources where at 77% this boosted it to 95%
select the quake,unreal,... option in cacheman :]