PDA

View Full Version : 366 Celeron

Little Grey
09-26-99, 04:11 PM
I keep hearing that the 366 is solid at 550, but I can only get it up to about 530 or so. I have my FSB set to 96 right now, but if I bump it up to 100, my OS crashes (both 98 and NT). I have dual celeron 366's on an Abit BP6. Is my memory to blame or is it just me? I have heatsinks, fans, thermal compound, and 2 case fans, so heat isn't a problem. I'm going to go to 97, then 98, then 99, and then 100 and try to find out exactly when the system craps out. But if someone else has any ideas why I can't hit 100, please tell me. Thanks

Philip
09-27-99, 02:11 AM
Not all CPUs are equal... You might be able to get one to 550 and the next could constantly crash at 500. They're all coming out of the same production line, however they're quite different. Also, I wouldn't push it, you won't see that much improvement with another 20MHz. Just my 2.

private_ryan
10-01-99, 03:03 AM
Try this, go into your bios and check to see if your FSB/AGP ratio is set to 1/1.
If so then this can cause system failure because your forcing your AGP port to run at 100Mhz. Although this is within the AGP port parameters, your graphics card may not be able to handle the load. This in turn causes all sorts of problems that I have seen, even what appears to be an operating system failure.

Try changing the ratio to 2/3. This way your AGP port will be running at 66Mhz when your FSB is at 100Mhz.

I got a few more suggestions, if you want e-mail me.

George

bob
10-09-99, 08:06 AM
at anything over 83mhz FSB, i would definitely go with a 2/3 AGP multiplier. As for windows crashing.. if the OS crashes and you're getting registry errors, odds are you're at or over your limit. I'm not familiar with that board, but check your PCI bus speed with those FSB settings.. PCI is spec'ed at 33mhz, some hard drives will malfunction if it's too high (my western digitals all run fine at 41+ though). Now if you've got the OS running well, but applications crash, try increasing the core voltage slightly.. and keep in mind more voltage = more heat. Make sure you have a good heatsink/fan combo on the chip, with thermal grease, as well as air circulation that passes over the area (typically a fan that blows air out the back mounted very near the cpu is sufficient). As for hardware limitations other than your CPU, try using a pci video card. if the pci card works and an agp one does not, then obviousy the agp card is the problem http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif If you've got pc100 dimms in there you should have no probs at 95mhz FSB.. because of the celerons low FSB, its almost always the CPU thats the problem when you OC. very few celerons can pass 100mhz FSB, and most components operate fine at 133 FSB, thus things like ram are rarely an issue. anyway good luck on your oc'ing, just remember to keep an eye on that cpu temp http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif

bob

Ion
10-30-99, 05:48 AM
You may have to raise the voltage to as much as 2.2v to achieve stability. On the BP-6, the best way I have heard, is to work with one cpu in the board at a time, and find the right voltage for each one, since the BP-6 allows seperate voltage adjustments for each. Of course, the more voltage, the more heat. Get yourself "Motherboard Monitor" http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~a.vankaam/mbm/ Also, in the softmenu, Abit allows you to adjust the L2 cache latency. You may have to also adjust the first 3 sdram listings in the "chipset features" to 3. Good luck, and if one of them doesn't work, auction it off, and get another. A nice thing about the bp-6 is you can run it on one cpu.
Jeff
Celery 366 at 578@ 2.2v on an Abit BH6