PDA

View Full Version : BBC banned my IP



meau
07-19-08, 04:39 PM
Hello

I want to watch this BBC documentary with the iPlayer and it seems that
when they detect an IP to be non UK they dont allow you to watch it.

Other than finding a good UK proxy is it possible to get around this
restriction?

I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC
should show some respect.

VanguardLH
07-19-08, 05:28 PM
meau wrote:

> Path: ...!auth.brown.octanews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
> Organization: individual.net

Why are you lying in your Organization header as to through which NNTP
provider you are posting?

> I want to watch this BBC documentary with the iPlayer and it seems that
> when they detect an IP to be non UK they dont allow you to watch it.

And what would be the URL to that documentary (so OTHERS can test if
your assumption is correct)? "The BBC" doesn't say WHERE you were.

> Other than finding a good UK proxy is it possible to get around this
> restriction?

Probably not if this the cause of the restriction.

> I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC
> should show some respect.

Why would the BBC care anything about you your paying taxes?

Tim Jackson
07-20-08, 02:54 AM
VanguardLH wrote:
> meau wrote:
>
>> Path: ...!auth.brown.octanews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
>> Organization: individual.net
>
> Why are you lying in your Organization header as to through which NNTP
> provider you are posting?
>
>> I want to watch this BBC documentary with the iPlayer and it seems that
>> when they detect an IP to be non UK they dont allow you to watch it.
>
> And what would be the URL to that documentary (so OTHERS can test if
> your assumption is correct)? "The BBC" doesn't say WHERE you were.
>
>> Other than finding a good UK proxy is it possible to get around this
>> restriction?
>
> Probably not if this the cause of the restriction.
>
>> I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC
>> should show some respect.
>
> Why would the BBC care anything about you your paying taxes?

The BBC is funded by the television licence fee in the UK, which is to
all intents and purposes a tax levied on all television users.
Presumably as an ex-pat you are not paying the licence fee. So why
should you have access to the BBC's output? I don't know if it is true,
but it does not seem unreasonable. They do provide radio output free of
charge to overseas listeners, both on short-wave and on the internet.


Tim Jackson

VanguardLH
07-20-08, 07:05 AM
Tim Jackson wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>> meau wrote:
>>
>>> Path: ...!auth.brown.octanews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
>>> Organization: individual.net
>>
>> Why are you lying in your Organization header as to through which NNTP
>> provider you are posting?
>>
>>> I want to watch this BBC documentary with the iPlayer and it seems that
>>> when they detect an IP to be non UK they dont allow you to watch it.
>>
>> And what would be the URL to that documentary (so OTHERS can test if
>> your assumption is correct)? "The BBC" doesn't say WHERE you were.
>>
>>> Other than finding a good UK proxy is it possible to get around this
>>> restriction?
>>
>> Probably not if this the cause of the restriction.
>>
>>> I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC
>>> should show some respect.
>>
>> Why would the BBC care anything about you your paying taxes?
>
> The BBC is funded by the television licence fee in the UK, which is to
> all intents and purposes a tax levied on all television users.
> Presumably as an ex-pat you are not paying the licence fee. So why
> should you have access to the BBC's output? I don't know if it is true,
> but it does not seem unreasonable. They do provide radio output free of
> charge to overseas listeners, both on short-wave and on the internet.
>
> Tim Jackson

I went digging around to watch videos and search on "documentary" and
those played for me (where I'm in the USA). So knowing what is the URL
to the blocked material might help in determining why it was blocked.
It didn't look like the OP was sure as to why he couldn't get the
content and merely guessed it was an IP region restriction.

Jim Watt
07-21-08, 04:41 AM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:39:05 +0200, meau <uhuuu@spam> wrote:

>Hello
>
>I want to watch this BBC documentary with the iPlayer and it seems that
>when they detect an IP to be non UK they dont allow you to watch it.
>
>Other than finding a good UK proxy is it possible to get around this
>restriction?
>
>I am British citizen living abroad I paid my taxes there surely the BBC
>should show some respect.


This is not a computer security issue

It is a rights issue. The BBC may not own the rights
to show this programme outside the UK so they restrict
access to their programming to IP's geographically
located in the UK.

Similarly they restrict their satellite broadcasting to
transponders that in theory only give coverage of the UK

You can subscribe to services that get round this as
the chances of finding an open proxy you can use are
low.

If you maintain a UK address, you can always install
your own streaming equipment there and watch terrestial
UK television via the Internet.

www.slingmedia.com/

There again most of it is rubbish anyway.


--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Juergen Nieveler
07-21-08, 07:29 AM
Tim Jackson <tim@tim-jackson.co.uk> wrote:

> The BBC is funded by the television licence fee in the UK, which is to
> all intents and purposes a tax levied on all television users.

But it's only levied on TV users IN THE UK. So, anybody abroad isn't
paying TV license fees to the UK, and hence cannot expect to watch
their contents.

Lucky bastards... in Germany we have to pay TV licenses, too, but
EVERYBODY can watch the programms. Then again - it's German television,
free might still be too much ;-)

Juergen Nieveler
--
Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.