PDA

View Full Version : Heatsink + Fan + Duct system?

YARDofSTUF
12-28-00, 03:00 PM
Ok, as i mentioned in another post, i read at OC online that making a duct system from ur intake fan to ur processor to the exit fan will increase cool air hitting the processor.

It sounds good to me and i could easily make an aluminum duct that would work, but i am wondering about all ur opinions...

Also planning to to set fans in other hot spots over the board(abit kt7 raid) like ram vid card...

If i have the bus/pci setting at 133/44mhz, would a fan blowing cool air on teh pci slot/device help it stay stabe at all, or is it strictly a problem because the cards arent meatn to run at 44mhz?

And one more! lol... if teh bus is at 133, then is it wortht it(or able) to set the ram at like 140 or 150?

Thanks all.

jdblitz
12-28-00, 05:14 PM
well, pci cards, depending on the manufacturer, generaly cant run that high(44) and yes, it would be beneficial for you to crank your memory bus up as far as it will go!

------------------
There is always a way, you just might not like what you have to do to achieve it.
My house I'm building below.
http://www.geocities.com/jdtdhouse/modelfrontmini.jpg
JD's Overclockers Central (http://www.geocities.com/jonathanwork/overclockers_central.html)

[This message has been edited by jdblitz (edited 12-28-2000).]

knicks
12-28-00, 06:02 PM
I dont't think you ned anything like a duct exhaust , what exactly are you trying to overclock. try this. http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_hardware_00016.asp

Also ,placemnet of the fans is extremely important or you are just going to blow hot air around. With an excellent heatsink and a fan like this ,and the fans place in the case you should be ok as far as heat in the case.
There are many factors why you might not be able to o/c , not just the heat in the case.

Depending on type of memory you have pc100/pc133 and the quality will determine whether you can have it run at 140mhz.
Do you have support on your mobo where you can set the speed of your memory seperate from your chip?

I would need your setup and what you are trying to achieve to help you further.

KNICKS

------------------

freckmoto
12-28-00, 06:27 PM
Shouldn't running the bus at 133 up the PCI divider to 4 and therefore bring the PCI clock back down the 33???

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2

knicks
12-28-00, 08:21 PM
your pci slots run 1/3 of your FSB speed, some motherboard have support where they will keep your pci speeds between 33mhz and 41 mhz.

I have never heard of increasing the FSB and having your pci slots run at 1/4 then.

KNICKS

------------------

YARDofSTUF
12-28-00, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by knicks:
I dont't think you ned anything like a duct exhaust , what exactly are you trying to overclock. try this. http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_hardware_00016.asp

Also ,placemnet of the fans is extremely important or you are just going to blow hot air around. With an excellent heatsink and a fan like this ,and the fans place in the case you should be ok as far as heat in the case.
There are many factors why you might not be able to o/c , not just the heat in the case.

Depending on type of memory you have pc100/pc133 and the quality will determine whether you can have it run at 140mhz.
Do you have support on your mobo where you can set the speed of your memory seperate from your chip?

I would need your setup and what you are trying to achieve to help you further.

KNICKS

Ok i dont have the board yet but it will be an abit kt7 raid gonna start with pc100 ram cause i have it, but someone said OCZ sells ram set for 170 or 180(need the site addy) so i will but it there. I like the duct system idea and i think i'm gonna use it, reviewed it with a few friends and think it will do good.

Now for ram, whats the best way to cool them, blow the hot air away, put cool air on it, or heatsink and fan, what works best... and a question that was kinda answered, will atemptting to cool the pci slots adn devices in them help tehm run at 44mhz, i will be running an SB live card, 3com eitherlink card and for a short while a voodoo4 4500.

[This message has been edited by YARDofSTUF (edited 12-28-2000).]

knicks
12-29-00, 07:16 AM
if you are going to use the duct system to take care of the heat , you are not going to need to worry about taking heat off of your memory . the thing that will cause alot of heat in the case is going to be your voodoo, I recommended a pci slot sucker that will suck the heat off the video card.
What is the chip mhz and how far are you tryng to O/C this.

Personally, I don't think that these pci components willl have a prob runnig at 44mhz, but i think that the pc100 ram , depending on the quality -could be a problem.

KNICKS

------------------

YARDofSTUF
12-29-00, 03:05 PM
well i'll be running the duron 800 at 800 until i get the better ram, once i get the ram i plan to oc it to about 1.1 ghz

YARDofSTUF
12-30-00, 03:01 AM
The only POEWRFUL fans for the pci slots i can finddont blow teh air out of the case, just down, onto the next card. anyone know of a fan that is angled to push out? i wont have teh cover on the case so i just need to push it right out the side.

knicks
01-01-01, 08:21 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YARDofSTUF:
The only POEWRFUL fans for the pci slots i can finddont blow teh air out of the case, just down, onto the next card. anyone know of a fan that is angled to push out? i wont have teh cover on the case so i just need to push it right out the side.</font>

the link that i posted earlier in the posting was for a slot fan that sucks air off the video card and will push the air out the back. i actually own one and it works great.
did u happen to check out the benchmarks on that fan.

KNICKS

------------------

YARDofSTUF
01-01-01, 08:43 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by knicks:
the link that i posted earlier in the posting was for a slot fan that sucks air off the video card and will push the air out the back. i actually own one and it works great.
did u happen to check out the benchmarks on that fan.

KNICKS

</font>

Saw teh bench it looks good, but i am looking to pusht eh air out of the side... may change though, omnipressive made that cool case thing in photoshop and it looks so cool, i want to actually make it lol so i may build that case and use the slot fan... dunno, i got time still

------------------
My body fills with rage
Light my fire, set the stage
I break the cage as we begin a new page

Ramon
01-05-01, 03:11 PM
I just got a new Dell comp at work - Dimension 4100. It has a "hood" connected to a fan that blows air out of the box. The fan/hood mount to the back of the case just below the power supply, and the hood curves around so that its inlet is right by the CPU. It doesn't blow a lot of air, but it's quiet and it seems really efficient for cooling just the CPU. Here's a diagram: http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/dzuul/rr.htm#socketed_processor