PDA

View Full Version : CISCO ROUTER AND DNS



Tony Martin
06-05-08, 09:19 AM
I have a Cisco WRT54G router configured for a static IP from a SMC8014
cable modem. In the router's static IP setup, you must enter the
primary and secondary DNS server IPs of the ISP.

My question is:

In Windows TCP/IP properties, should I bullet "Obtain DNS servers
automatically" OR bullet "Use the following DNS servers" and if so,
should I use the gateway IP of the router OR repeat the same two DNS
IP's used in the Static IP setup section of the router??

TIA.
Tony

Justin P
06-06-08, 05:20 AM
Hi,

WRT54G is Linksys, not Cisco...

Now to your question:
You can use both settings. If you select Obtain automatically - your PC
will use DNS servers configured in router.
If you select manual settings you should write down same DNS servers IP
addresses that your ISP gave you. Or you can use old-favorite 4.2.2.2 /
4.2.2.3 / 4.2.2.4.

Tony Martin wrote:
> I have a Cisco WRT54G router configured for a static IP from a SMC8014
> cable modem. In the router's static IP setup, you must enter the
> primary and secondary DNS server IPs of the ISP.
>
> My question is:
>
> In Windows TCP/IP properties, should I bullet "Obtain DNS servers
> automatically" OR bullet "Use the following DNS servers" and if so,
> should I use the gateway IP of the router OR repeat the same two DNS
> IP's used in the Static IP setup section of the router??
>
> TIA.
> Tony
>

Gerhard Fiedler
06-06-08, 07:49 AM
On 2008-06-06 07:20:57, Justin P wrote:

> Tony Martin wrote:
>> I have a Cisco WRT54G router configured for a static IP from a SMC8014
>> cable modem. In the router's static IP setup, you must enter the
>> primary and secondary DNS server IPs of the ISP.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> In Windows TCP/IP properties, should I bullet "Obtain DNS servers
>> automatically" OR bullet "Use the following DNS servers" and if so,
>> should I use the gateway IP of the router OR repeat the same two DNS
>> IP's used in the Static IP setup section of the router??

> WRT54G is Linksys, not Cisco...

Just for the record... http://www.linksys.com/ top left corner says
"Linksys, a division of Cisco"... :) So while it is Linksys brand (and it
helps saying so), it's still kind of "by Cisco".

> Now to your question:
> You can use both settings. If you select Obtain automatically - your PC
> will use DNS servers configured in router.
> If you select manual settings you should write down same DNS servers IP
> addresses that your ISP gave you. Or you can use old-favorite 4.2.2.2 /
> 4.2.2.3 / 4.2.2.4.

In general, I find it more convenient to configure the PCs to get their DNS
servers from the router. In case anything changes, I have to change that
only in the router.

Gerhard