PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring router's activity



Wiseman
04-22-08, 11:05 AM
Hello,

I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if there
is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the net.

Best regards.

Wiseman

Ed Mullen
04-22-08, 01:35 PM
Wiseman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if there
> is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the net.
>
> Best regards.

There are many network manager programs. I use this:

http://networkmagic.com/


--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
Half the people you know are below average.

Wiseman
04-22-08, 02:34 PM
I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers are
directly connected to the router. I've learnt that some routers have the
ability of logging their activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.

"Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> Wiseman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if
>> there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the
>> net.
>>
>> Best regards.
>
> There are many network manager programs. I use this:
>
> http://networkmagic.com/
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> Half the people you know are below average.

f/fgeorge
04-22-08, 03:48 PM
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:34:50 +0200, "Wiseman" <wiseman@wiseman.com>
wrote:

>I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers are
>directly connected to the router. I've learnt that some routers have the
>ability of logging their activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.
>
http://sonic.net/wallwatcher

the problem is that your particular router is not listed, try it, it
might work for you

>"Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
>> Wiseman wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if
>>> there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the
>>> net.
>>>
>>> Best regards.
>>
>> There are many network manager programs. I use this:
>>
>> http://networkmagic.com/
>> --
>> Ed Mullen
>> http://edmullen.net
>> Half the people you know are below average.
>

Ed Mullen
04-22-08, 11:43 PM
Wiseman wrote:
> I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers are
> directly connected to the router.

Um, well, err, how else would they be interfaced into your LAN? I don't
understand that statement at all.

> I've learnt that some routers have the
> ability of logging their activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.

So Google your router by maker and model and see it that is possible.

Or, try Network Magic. The Pro version will email you logs of network
activity.


>
> "Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
>> Wiseman wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if
>>> there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the
>>> net.
>>>
>>> Best regards.
>> There are many network manager programs. I use this:
>>
>> http://networkmagic.com/
>> --
>> Ed Mullen
>> http://edmullen.net
>> Half the people you know are below average.
>
>


--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
Backups? Backups? We don't need no steenking backups! - Famous Last Words

Ed Mullen
04-23-08, 12:00 AM
Ed Mullen wrote:
> Wiseman wrote:
>> I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual
>> computers are directly connected to the router.
>
> Um, well, err, how else would they be interfaced into your LAN? I don't
> understand that statement at all.
>
>> I've learnt that some routers have the ability of logging their
>> activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.
>
> So Google your router by maker and model and see it that is possible.

Sorry, "see IF that is possible."
--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
If I only had a little humility, I'd be perfect. - Ted Turner

Wiseman
04-23-08, 12:04 AM
What I meant to say is that if my pc, on which network magic would be
installed, is not on then how will it track the router's activity ?

"Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
VeKdnaO3I5DtI5PVnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com...
> Wiseman wrote:
>> I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers
>> are directly connected to the router.
>
> Um, well, err, how else would they be interfaced into your LAN? I don't
> understand that statement at all.
>
>> I've learnt that some routers have the ability of logging their activity
>> and sending it to the admin via e-mail.
>
> So Google your router by maker and model and see it that is possible.
>
> Or, try Network Magic. The Pro version will email you logs of network
> activity.
>
>
>>
>> "Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
>>> Wiseman wrote:
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if
>>>> there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the
>>>> net.
>>>>
>>>> Best regards.
>>> There are many network manager programs. I use this:
>>>
>>> http://networkmagic.com/
>>> --
>>> Ed Mullen
>>> http://edmullen.net
>>> Half the people you know are below average.
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> Backups? Backups? We don't need no steenking backups! - Famous Last
> Words

Ed Mullen
04-23-08, 12:46 PM
Wiseman wrote:
> What I meant to say is that if my pc, on which network magic would be
> installed, is not on then how will it track the router's activity ?
>

Yes, obviously, at least one machine running some piece of monitoring sw
would need to actually be turned on.

BTW, even if your router does keep logs they usually are very short-term
logs.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
If a book about failures does not sell, is it a success?

Wiseman
04-23-08, 02:41 PM
Email from d-link:

Based on your e-mail it seems that you want to monitor user activity on your
router.

As the router is a SOHO segment router you will not be able to monitor the
user activity on the router.

In case of any further assistance do revert to us.

Thank you for networking with D-Link.


"Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
U8WdnTGqKO2N65LVnZ2dnUVZ_oPinZ2d@comcast.com...
> Wiseman wrote:
>> What I meant to say is that if my pc, on which network magic would be
>> installed, is not on then how will it track the router's activity ?
>>
>
> Yes, obviously, at least one machine running some piece of monitoring sw
> would need to actually be turned on.
>
> BTW, even if your router does keep logs they usually are very short-term
> logs.
>
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> If a book about failures does not sell, is it a success?