PDA

View Full Version : wireless router + external hard disk connection



raghav
04-16-08, 09:08 AM
Hi,

I want to buy myself a router, that takes in a wan connection and
allows few lan connections. the Lan connections should be on ethernet
AND on wireless both.

I know, thats a simple thing to buy.

But, I want another feature from the router, which I cant seem to
find. (Or may be I am looking for a diff term). I want that my
External hard disk should be attached to the router so that its
available to the whole internal network as a network disk.

Is that possible ? are there products in market allowing something
like that ?
Or is my wish something absurd ? better ways of achieving the same
thing ?

I think AirPort Express/Extreme from Apple allow something like that.
I am a non-apple user and still want similar behaviour..

possible ?
too much to ask for ??

pls suggest ..

cheers
raghav..

SMS
04-16-08, 11:08 AM
raghav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to buy myself a router, that takes in a wan connection and
> allows few lan connections. the Lan connections should be on ethernet
> AND on wireless both.
>
> I know, thats a simple thing to buy.
>
> But, I want another feature from the router, which I cant seem to
> find. (Or may be I am looking for a diff term). I want that my
> External hard disk should be attached to the router so that its
> available to the whole internal network as a network disk.

Buy a drive enclosure with an Ethernet interface and plug it into the
router, i.e. a Coolmax CN-350, "http://tinyurl.com/5mbcom"

Or you can buy a complete drive with an Ethernet interface, i.e.
"http://tinyurl.com/6gaaj3"

I do exactly what you're doing.

Remember, the drive will always be on, it doesn't hibernate.

gene martinez
04-16-08, 01:33 PM
raghav <sharma.raghvendra@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to buy myself a router, that takes in a wan connection and
>allows few lan connections. the Lan connections should be on ethernet
>AND on wireless both.
>
>I know, thats a simple thing to buy.
>
>But, I want another feature from the router, which I cant seem to
>find. (Or may be I am looking for a diff term). I want that my
>External hard disk should be attached to the router so that its
>available to the whole internal network as a network disk.
>
>Is that possible ? are there products in market allowing something
>like that ?
>Or is my wish something absurd ? better ways of achieving the same
>thing ?
>
>I think AirPort Express/Extreme from Apple allow something like that.
>I am a non-apple user and still want similar behaviour..
>
If you get a usb type drive you can take a look at something like the
Linksys NSLU2. I have it working with (2) usb drives. Another nice
thing is (if you need/want it) you can access the drives over the
internet.

Neill Massello
04-16-08, 05:13 PM
raghav <sharma.raghvendra@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think AirPort Express/Extreme from Apple allow something like that.
> I am a non-apple user and still want similar behaviour..

The file server built in to the Apple AirPort Extreme base station can
service both Windows (SMB) and Mac (AFP) clients. The AirPort Express
base station has a USB print server but no file server. Apple's Time
Capsule integrates an Extreme base station with an SATA hard drive and
power supply in a single box.

Bob Smith
04-17-08, 01:08 AM
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:08:50 -0700 (PDT), raghav
<sharma.raghvendra@gmail.com> wrote:

What your looking for is Network Attached Storage or commonly
called NAS devices.

The NAS device is basically a computer with a network card and
hard drives that you assign an IP address to and are able to
access the hard drives from any computer on the network

It's connected to the network via a cat5 cable which you can
plug into the router
check the link below. NAS storage is operating system flexible. They
usually all have the hard drives formatted with FAT32 (similar to the
USB convention) but you can format them for apple only or NTFS for
Windows XP and above.

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,677853,00.asp



hope this helps, they are a little pricy and have various options

Bob

Roibert Smith Consulting

>Hi,
>
>I want to buy myself a router, that takes in a wan connection and
>allows few lan connections. the Lan connections should be on ethernet
>AND on wireless both.
>
>I know, thats a simple thing to buy.
>
>But, I want another feature from the router, which I cant seem to
>find. (Or may be I am looking for a diff term). I want that my
>External hard disk should be attached to the router so that its
>available to the whole internal network as a network disk.
>
>Is that possible ? are there products in market allowing something
>like that ?
>Or is my wish something absurd ? better ways of achieving the same
>thing ?
>
>I think AirPort Express/Extreme from Apple allow something like that.
>I am a non-apple user and still want similar behaviour..
>
>possible ?
>too much to ask for ??
>
>pls suggest ..
>
>cheers
>raghav..

_raghav_
04-18-08, 03:38 AM
On Apr 17, 8:08*am, Bob Smith <n...@na6t.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:08:50 -0700 (PDT), raghav
>
> <sharma.raghven...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What your looking for is Network Attached Storage or commonly
> called NAS devices.
>
> The NAS device is basically a computer with a network card and
> hard drives that you assign an IP address to and are able to
> access the hard drives from any computer on the network
>
> It's connected to the network via a cat5 cable which you can
> plug into the router
> check the link below. *NAS storage is operating system flexible. *They
> usually all have the hard drives formatted with FAT32 (similar to the
> USB convention) but you can format them for apple only or NTFS for
> Windows XP and above.
>
> http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,677853,00.asp
>
> hope this helps, *they are a little pricy and have various options
>
> Bob
>
> Roibert Smith Consulting
>
> >Hi,
>
> >I want to buy myself a router, that takes in a wan connection and
> >allows few lan connections. the Lan connections should be on ethernet
> >AND on wireless both.
>
> >I know, thats a simple thing to buy.
>
> >But, I want another feature from the router, which I cant seem to
> >find. (Or may be I am looking for a diff term). *I want that my
> >External hard disk should be attached to the router so that its
> >available to the whole internal network as a network disk.
>
> >Is that possible ? are there products in market allowing something
> >like that ?
> >Or is my wish something absurd ? better ways of achieving the same
> >thing ?
>
> >I think AirPort Express/Extreme from Apple allow something like that.
> >I am a non-apple user and still want similar behaviour..
>
> >possible ?
> >too much to ask for ??
>
> >pls suggest ..
>
> >cheers
> >raghav..

I found something from LinkSys...
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1162354643512&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4351239789B02

anybody tried something like this ?
any experience ?