PDA

View Full Version : Routing between two wireless networks



tkasprow@gmail.com
04-03-08, 11:59 AM
Hello

At my house I receive Internet trough WiFi (not very typical). There
is antenna on top of my house and is connected to wireless card in my
desktop PC. I want to create a new wireless network that would cover
my house. Therefore I am trying to find a router that would route
between external WiFi network and my (to be created) home WiFi network
however I cannot locate appropriate hardware.

Could anyone help me with identifing approporiate solution? (the only
thing that comes to my mind so far are two routers that route between
LAN/WiFi but I look for simpler solution)

Thanks in advance

Tomek

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk
04-03-08, 12:46 PM
On 3 Apr, 18:59, tkasp...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello
>
> At my house I receive Internet trough WiFi (not very typical). There
> is antenna on top of my house and is connected to wireless card in my
> desktop PC. I want to create a new wireless network that would cover
> my house. Therefore I am trying to find a router that would route
> between external WiFi network and my (to be created) home WiFi network
> however I cannot locate appropriate hardware.
>
> Could anyone help me with identifing approporiate solution? (the only
> thing that comes to my mind so far are two routers that route between
> LAN/WiFi but I look for simpler solution)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Tomek

Any of the modular Cisco routers with 2 wireless cards?
Not cheap though.
I am almost sure that one of the 1800 range would do but
I would guess that the wireless cards HWIC.....
would be 500US each (new). Any maybe more for
the chassis and software.

Bill Kearney
04-03-08, 05:54 PM
>> At my house I receive Internet trough WiFi (not very typical). There
>> is antenna on top of my house and is connected to wireless card in my
>> desktop PC.

Change the setup from the antenna on your house to connect directly to a
router, via ethernet. See if your ISP offers such an option. That's your
solution of least hassle, long-term.

Otherwise you could setup your PC to act as a router. Add an ethernet card
to it. Then connect that ethernet card to an access point. Configure the
access point and use it to connect through the PC to the internet. The
downside being that PC will have to be on all the time. That and routing
software setup on the PC is somewhat "less than trivial" if you want it to
be secure.

Check with your ISP about how to use multiple wired PCs in your house. If
they can do that then you're in business.

P.Schuman
04-05-08, 01:17 PM
<tkasprow@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:bfb9a426-f7dd-4839-86ab-be13855bcc3b@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> Hello
>
> At my house I receive Internet trough WiFi (not very typical). There
> is antenna on top of my house and is connected to wireless card in my
> desktop PC. I want to create a new wireless network that would cover
> my house. Therefore I am trying to find a router that would route
> between external WiFi network and my (to be created) home WiFi network
> however I cannot locate appropriate hardware.
>
> Could anyone help me with identifing approporiate solution? (the only
> thing that comes to my mind so far are two routers that route between
> LAN/WiFi but I look for simpler solution)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Tomek

a little more info on what is on the roof
or a link to your WISP would be helpful.
Also - is the wireless card in your PC something standard,
or is the WISP using something "different" ?

Since you already have a WiFi signal broadcasting from your roof
to your PC - then it might cover the rest of the house,
if you can have other WiFi computers connecting to the roof ?

tkasprow@gmail.com
04-16-08, 10:52 AM
On 5 Kwi, 20:17, "P.Schuman" <pschuman_no_spam...@interserv.com>
wrote:
> <tkasp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:bfb9a426-f7dd-4839-86ab-be13855bcc3b@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > Hello
>
> > At my house I receive Internet trough WiFi (not very typical). There
> > is antenna on top of my house and is connected to wireless card in my
> > desktop PC. I want to create a new wireless network that would cover
> > my house. Therefore I am trying to find a router that would route
> > between external WiFi network and my (to be created) home WiFi network
> > however I cannot locate appropriate hardware.
>
> > Could anyone help me with identifing approporiate solution? (the only
> > thing that comes to my mind so far are two routers that route between
> > LAN/WiFi but I look for simpler solution)
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> > Tomek
>
> a little more info on what is on the roof
> or a link to your WISP would be helpful.
> Also - is the wireless card in your PC something standard,
> or is the WISP using something "different" ?
>
> Since you already have a WiFi signal broadcasting from your roof
> to your PC - then it might cover the rest of the house,
> if you can have other WiFi computers connecting to the roof ?- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
>
> - Pokaż cytowany tekst -

WISP is very local and website is only in my native language (Polish).
The card in my PC is regular WiFi card linked to an anntena on the
roof. The signal is too faint indors to be of any use. Morover only
the card provided by WISP cann connect (MAC) - they say I can clon the
MAC to a router if I like.

P.Schuman
04-17-08, 12:01 PM
tkasprow@gmail.com wrote:
> On 5 Kwi, 20:17, "P.Schuman" <pschuman_no_spam...@interserv.com>
> wrote:
>> <tkasp...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:bfb9a426-f7dd-4839-86ab-be13855bcc3b@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> Hello
>>
>>> At my house I receive Internet trough WiFi (not very typical). There
>>> is antenna on top of my house and is connected to wireless card in
>>> my desktop PC. I want to create a new wireless network that would
>>> cover my house. Therefore I am trying to find a router that would
>>> route between external WiFi network and my (to be created) home
>>> WiFi network however I cannot locate appropriate hardware.
>>
>>> Could anyone help me with identifing approporiate solution? (the
>>> only thing that comes to my mind so far are two routers that route
>>> between LAN/WiFi but I look for simpler solution)
>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>
>>> Tomek
>>
>> a little more info on what is on the roof
>> or a link to your WISP would be helpful.
>> Also - is the wireless card in your PC something standard,
>> or is the WISP using something "different" ?
>>
>> Since you already have a WiFi signal broadcasting from your roof
>> to your PC - then it might cover the rest of the house,
>> if you can have other WiFi computers connecting to the roof ?- Ukryj
>> cytowany tekst -
>>
>> - Pokaż cytowany tekst -
>
> WISP is very local and website is only in my native language (Polish).
> The card in my PC is regular WiFi card linked to an anntena on the
> roof. The signal is too faint indors to be of any use. Morover only
> the card provided by WISP cann connect (MAC) - they say I can clon the
> MAC to a router if I like.

Can we have your WISP website URL - even if in Polish.

Is your computer actually connected to the roof via wireless ?
seems then that the roof has back to back wireless access points.
or an Ethernet cable running from your computer to the roof ?
How does the roof equipment get power ?

I would think something like a Linksys WAP54G
acting as a "repeater mode" might be a choice ?

What does the WISP suggest ?

tkasprow@gmail.com
04-18-08, 10:55 AM
The website is http://portal.kg.net.pl/

My computer is connected to the antena on the roof. There is no access
point or router on the roof. Ther is just antenna connected to
wireless card in my PC via antena port hence there is no power source
required.

Repeater might not work because (as far as I understand - and I may be
wrong) it just propagates the same network extending its coverage.
This will not work for me as I have just one IP addrress assigned that
is paired with MAC on the wireless card. The only imporvement I could
get through a repeater would be that (if I assigned the same MAC to
all computers) I could have any computer connected to the network but
only one at a time.

WISP suggested: access point with clonned MAC (I could not find this
founctionality on access point I am familiar with - only routers)
connected to the roof antena and then access point connected to
wireles router (LAN/WiFi router would be needed then - not a very
standard piece of equipment either - but possible to find in contrast
to WiFi/WiFi router which I am looking for. So far only modular Cisco
router suggested by Bill Kearney seem to have such capability but the
price is prohibitive).

PS56k
04-18-08, 11:26 PM
tkasprow@gmail.com wrote:
> The website is http://portal.kg.net.pl/
>
> My computer is connected to the antena on the roof. There is no access
> point or router on the roof. Ther is just antenna connected to
> wireless card in my PC via antena port hence there is no power source
> required.

thanks - that is VERY DIFFERENT that what we all probably thought.
We thought you had a "wireless" connection to the roof,
not an antenna cable running from your desktop wireless card to the roof
just like a TV set....

> Repeater might not work because (as far as I understand - and I may be
> wrong) it just propagates the same network extending its coverage.
> This will not work for me as I have just one IP addrress assigned that
> is paired with MAC on the wireless card. The only imporvement I could
> get through a repeater would be that (if I assigned the same MAC to
> all computers) I could have any computer connected to the network but
> only one at a time.
>
> WISP suggested: access point with clonned MAC (I could not find this
> founctionality on access point I am familiar with - only routers)
> connected to the roof antena and then access point connected to
> wireles router (LAN/WiFi router would be needed then - not a very
> standard piece of equipment either - but possible to find in contrast
> to WiFi/WiFi router which I am looking for. So far only modular Cisco
> router suggested by Bill Kearney seem to have such capability but the
> price is prohibitive).

seaweedsl
04-19-08, 05:15 PM
On Apr 18, 10:55 am, tkasp...@gmail.com wrote:
..
>
> WISP suggested: access point with clonned MAC (I could not find this
> founctionality on access point I am familiar with - only routers)
> connected to the roof antena and then access point connected to
> wireles router (LAN/WiFi router would be needed then - not a very
> standard piece of equipment either - but possible to find in contrast
> to WiFi/WiFi router which I am looking for. So far only modular Cisco
> router suggested by Bill Kearney seem to have such capability but the
> price is prohibitive).


What your WISP suggests is a good solution. This is also what Bill
Kearney was suggesting as your better choice in the long run.

The cheaper, but perhaps more troublesome solution is to use
Window''s - Internet Connection Sharing - feature to bridge the WISP
card in your pc to an ethernet card. An ethernet cable would go out
from there to a wireless router. This router would route and act as
AP for the rest of the pcs, I believe. I don't know much about this,
but your pc must be on all the time, and I've heard that there are
problems with ICS.

Best is to get two wireless routers, at least one of which accepts DD-
WRT or Tomato replacement firmwares. These firmwares are free and
give your router various modes and settings and should do what you
need. For one of them, you will set it to Client mode and use MAC
cloning to copy the MAC of the WISP card. That one will used as a
Wireless Ethernet Client, connecting to the antenna. It will act as a
radio to them and bridge for you over ethernet cable. This cable can
then connect to the second router which you will use as a Router and
Wireless AP to your various home computers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

In Europe, the Buffalo line of routers should be availible and the WHR-
G54 is a good inexpensive router for DD-WRT. Also the Linksys
WRT54GL (L is important) or the ASUS routers work well. Check DD-WRT
list of compatible routers to be sure. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

If you don't want to go with the special firmware, then buy one device
that is called a Client Bridge/AP (make sure it has Client mode and
MAC cloning) and one common wireless router. The wireless routers are
the common devices sold, but Client/APs are also availible for
reasonable prices (in the US).

However, I think that most would recommend a DD-WRT capable router (or
two) to be sure you will have all the features and support. If you
don't want to get involved with flashing the firmware, the DD-WRT
store has offered routers pre-flashed for sale at times. They are in
Germany, I believe.

Don't forget about connecting the antenna cable now coming into your
computer. You need to know what kind of connector it has and make
sure your Client device matches. Most wireless devices use RP-sma,
but Linksys uses RP-TNC. Ask your WISP if not sure.


Steve

seaweedsl
04-19-08, 05:28 PM
On Apr 19, 5:15 pm, seaweedsl <seaweedst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is also what Bill
> Kearney was suggesting as your better choice in the long run.
>

Re-reading, not so sure what Bill meant !

Peter Pan
04-20-08, 07:05 PM
tkasprow@gmail.com wrote:
> The website is http://portal.kg.net.pl/
>
> My computer is connected to the antena on the roof. There is no access
> point or router on the roof. Ther is just antenna connected to
> wireless card in my PC via antena port hence there is no power source
> required.
>
> Repeater might not work because (as far as I understand - and I may be
> wrong) it just propagates the same network extending its coverage.
> This will not work for me as I have just one IP addrress assigned that
> is paired with MAC on the wireless card. The only imporvement I could
> get through a repeater would be that (if I assigned the same MAC to
> all computers) I could have any computer connected to the network but
> only one at a time.
>
> WISP suggested: access point with clonned MAC (I could not find this
> founctionality on access point I am familiar with - only routers)
> connected to the roof antena and then access point connected to
> wireles router (LAN/WiFi router would be needed then - not a very
> standard piece of equipment either - but possible to find in contrast
> to WiFi/WiFi router which I am looking for. So far only modular Cisco
> router suggested by Bill Kearney seem to have such capability but the
> price is prohibitive).

Don't know what stores/products you have in your neck of the woods, but we
had something similar in northern Idaho (metal snow roof, outside thing was
just a directional antenna on the chimney and a long cable that came inside
to a card in the pc... If it's similar, had an antenna jack on the cable,
just picked up a wap/router at walmart (don't know if you have em there),
replaced on of the antennas on the box with the cable/connector (in essence
just replacing one of the antennas with the one on the cable, a little
strange, since diversity antennas are supposed to be in pairs), in the setup
prog, told it to clone the mac address i gave it, and all was ok (mostly,
cept for the prob with one antenna instead of two)....

tkasprow@gmail.com
04-25-08, 05:24 PM
And what is the name of the router?