PDA

View Full Version : Sonicwall SOHO3 Connection Issues



Dravidan
03-25-08, 02:26 PM
I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
back running so the logs are lost.

bz
03-25-08, 03:40 PM
Dravidan <yennes@gmail.com> wrote in news:0773f758-0b36-46e3-8efd-
b1142e12ca68@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
> set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
> someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
> minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
> figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
> what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
> back running so the logs are lost.
>
can you configure it to save the logs on another computer via the network?




--
bz

please pardon my infinite ignorance, the set-of-things-I-do-not-know is an
infinite set.

bz+csm@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

mak
03-26-08, 11:03 AM
Dravidan wrote:
> I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
> set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
> someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
> minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
> figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
> what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
> back running so the logs are lost.

you know that box is probably 4,5 years old, right?

M

brnstrmrs
04-03-08, 02:01 PM
On Mar 26, 12:03 pm, mak <m...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Dravidan wrote:
> > I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
> > set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
> > someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
> > minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
> > figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
> > what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
> > back running so the logs are lost.
>
> you know that box is probably 4,5 years old, right?
>
> M

Yes. It is definitely older than 5 years.

brnstrmrs
04-03-08, 02:17 PM
On Mar 25, 4:40 pm, bz <bz+...@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> Dravidan <yen...@gmail.com> wrote in news:0773f758-0b36-46e3-8efd-
> b1142e12c...@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
> > set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
> > someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
> > minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
> > figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
> > what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
> > back running so the logs are lost.
>
> can you configure it to save the logs on another computer via the network?
>
> --
> bz
>
> please pardon my infinite ignorance, the set-of-things-I-do-not-know is an
> infinite set.
>
> bz+...@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

I am saving the log file but I can't seem to figure out why its
dropping. Sometimes it runs for hours and sometime it won't even last
for 15mins.

bz
04-03-08, 04:29 PM
brnstrmrs <brnstrmrs@gmail.com> wrote in
news:101cce56-4c00-49f5-8f77-b0a52d73088c@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 25, 4:40 pm, bz <bz+...@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
>> Dravidan <yen...@gmail.com> wrote in news:0773f758-0b36-46e3-8efd-
>> b1142e12c...@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
>> > set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
>> > someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
>> > minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
>> > figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
>> > what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
>> > back running so the logs are lost.
>>
>> can you configure it to save the logs on another computer via the
>> network?

> I am saving the log file but I can't seem to figure out why its
> dropping. Sometimes it runs for hours and sometime it won't even last
> for 15mins.

I think I would monitor the AC line voltage and put the unit on a
variac(variable ac transformer) and see if it drops out when the line
voltage gets low, since your answer seems to imply that you see nothing in
the log to indicate an attack causing it to die.





--
bz

please pardon my infinite ignorance, the set-of-things-I-do-not-know is an
infinite set.

bz+csm@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Rick
04-03-08, 09:01 PM
brnstrmrs <brnstrmrs@gmail.com> wrote in news:ae8496a9-b10c-429d-97c6-
6dfeef082386@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 26, 12:03 pm, mak <m...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> Dravidan wrote:
>> > I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
>> > set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
>> > someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
>> > minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
>> > figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
>> > what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
>> > back running so the logs are lost.
>>
>> you know that box is probably 4,5 years old, right?
>>
>
> Yes. It is definitely older than 5 years.


Those SOHO3 Sonicwalls had some issues with flakey power adaptors that
caused a lot of problems. It might not be a bad idea to try a replacement
power adaptor to see if that clears up the problem. If I remember right,
they used a 5VDC adaptor, but I don't remember what the current rating for
it was.


--
Rick Simon rsimon@cris.com

Include "spam(trap)key" somewhere in the
body of any email to avoid spam filters.

brnstrmrs
04-04-08, 01:55 PM
On Apr 3, 10:01 pm, Rick <rsi...@cris.com> wrote:
> brnstrmrs <brnstr...@gmail.com> wrote in news:ae8496a9-b10c-429d-97c6-
> 6dfeef082...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On Mar 26, 12:03 pm, mak <m...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >> Dravidan wrote:
> >> > I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to
> >> > set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope
> >> > someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few
> >> > minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't
> >> > figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see
> >> > what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it
> >> > back running so the logs are lost.
>
> >> you know that box is probably 4,5 years old, right?
>
> > Yes. It is definitely older than 5 years.
>
> Those SOHO3 Sonicwalls had some issues with flakey power adaptors that
> caused a lot of problems. It might not be a bad idea to try a replacement
> power adaptor to see if that clears up the problem. If I remember right,
> they used a 5VDC adaptor, but I don't remember what the current rating for
> it was.
>
> --
> Rick Simon rsi...@cris.com
>
> Include "spam(trap)key" somewhere in the
> body of any email to avoid spam filters.

It bugs the heck out of me because my friend tested it in his office
and he had no issues so I am not sure if it is a power issue. Anyway,
It is a 5Volt, 2.4Amp/12W DC power adapter. I will see if I can place
it on a UPS or replace the adapter. I also played around with the
setting from auto to 100/full duplex to 100/half duplex but still same
problem while the router is in auto. One strange thing I notice is
that when ping from locally, once every five pings take twice as long
time as others. Any idea?

bz
04-04-08, 03:01 PM
brnstrmrs <brnstrmrs@gmail.com> wrote in
news:9fae61dc-b4a6-408a-900b-4a0f31b2847b@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> On Apr 3, 10:01 pm, Rick <rsi...@cris.com> wrote:
>> brnstrmrs <brnstr...@gmail.com> wrote in news:ae8496a9-b10c-429d-97c6-
>> 6dfeef082...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > On Mar 26, 12:03 pm, mak <m...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> >> Dravidan wrote:
>> >> > I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent
>> >> > to set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues
>> >> > I hope someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after
>> >> > few minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I
>> >> > can't figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log
>> >> > to see what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to
>> >> > get it back running so the logs are lost.
>>
>> >> you know that box is probably 4,5 years old, right?
>>
>> > Yes. It is definitely older than 5 years.
>>
>> Those SOHO3 Sonicwalls had some issues with flakey power adaptors that
>> caused a lot of problems. It might not be a bad idea to try a
>> replacement power adaptor to see if that clears up the problem. If I
>> remember right, they used a 5VDC adaptor, but I don't remember what the
>> current rating for it was.
>>
>> --
>> Rick Simon rsi...@cris.com
>>
>> Include "spam(trap)key" somewhere in the
>> body of any email to avoid spam filters.
>
> It bugs the heck out of me because my friend tested it in his office
> and he had no issues so I am not sure if it is a power issue. Anyway,
> It is a 5Volt, 2.4Amp/12W DC power adapter. I will see if I can place
> it on a UPS or replace the adapter. I also played around with the
> setting from auto to 100/full duplex to 100/half duplex but still same
> problem while the router is in auto. One strange thing I notice is
> that when ping from locally, once every five pings take twice as long
> time as others. Any idea?

Ripple on the dc from the power supply.

We had a mini hub take down our entire building back in the 10baseT days,
before we went to switches. A capacitor in the power supply had blown up.
A computer using the mini hub kept getting partial packets and requesting
resends. The flood of bad packets made the Ethernet unusable in the
entire building.






--
bz

please pardon my infinite ignorance, the set-of-things-I-do-not-know is an
infinite set.

bz+csm@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

brnstrmrs
04-05-08, 08:34 AM
On Apr 4, 4:01 pm, bz <bz+...@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> brnstrmrs <brnstr...@gmail.com> wrote innews:9fae61dc-b4a6-408a-900b-4a0f31b2847b@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>
>
>
> > On Apr 3, 10:01 pm, Rick <rsi...@cris.com> wrote:
> >> brnstrmrs <brnstr...@gmail.com> wrote in news:ae8496a9-b10c-429d-97c6-
> >> 6dfeef082...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>
> >> > On Mar 26, 12:03 pm, mak <m...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >> >> Dravidan wrote:
> >> >> > I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent
> >> >> > to set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues
> >> >> > I hope someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after
> >> >> > few minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I
> >> >> > can't figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log
> >> >> > to see what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to
> >> >> > get it back running so the logs are lost.
>
> >> >> you know that box is probably 4,5 years old, right?
>
> >> > Yes. It is definitely older than 5 years.
>
> >> Those SOHO3 Sonicwalls had some issues with flakey power adaptors that
> >> caused a lot of problems. It might not be a bad idea to try a
> >> replacement power adaptor to see if that clears up the problem. If I
> >> remember right, they used a 5VDC adaptor, but I don't remember what the
> >> current rating for it was.
>
> >> --
> >> Rick Simon rsi...@cris.com
>
> >> Include "spam(trap)key" somewhere in the
> >> body of any email to avoid spam filters.
>
> > It bugs the heck out of me because my friend tested it in his office
> > and he had no issues so I am not sure if it is a power issue. Anyway,
> > It is a 5Volt, 2.4Amp/12W DC power adapter. I will see if I can place
> > it on a UPS or replace the adapter. I also played around with the
> > setting from auto to 100/full duplex to 100/half duplex but still same
> > problem while the router is in auto. One strange thing I notice is
> > that when ping from locally, once every five pings take twice as long
> > time as others. Any idea?
>
> Ripple on the dc from the power supply.
>
> We had a mini hub take down our entire building back in the 10baseT days,
> before we went to switches. A capacitor in the power supply had blown up.
> A computer using the mini hub kept getting partial packets and requesting
> resends. The flood of bad packets made the Ethernet unusable in the
> entire building.
>
> --
> bz
>
> please pardon my infinite ignorance, the set-of-things-I-do-not-know is an
> infinite set.
>
> bz+...@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

I disconnected the wan port and ping the sonicwall from inside and it
went all night without interruption except the once every 5 pings took
twice as much time. What you say makes sense, if my ISP's router
keeps asking the sonicwall to resend the package then it would be a
problem. I am also going to try to flush the firmware on the device.