PDA

View Full Version : Wireless booster



me here
03-25-08, 05:44 AM
Hi all,

Saw these on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier-AP-
Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr
dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are they worthwhile?

What would happen if I used one of these together with a corner
reflector like the EZY-F :-)

Cheers

Rob



--

me here
03-25-08, 05:49 AM
me here wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Saw these on Ebay.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier-A
> P-
> Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQ
> Qr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Are they worthwhile?
>
> What would happen if I used one of these together with a corner
> reflector like the EZY-F :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

OOps - the link failed.

Try this


<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier-AP
-Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQ
rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Should be OK now.

Cheers again

Rob



--

me here
03-25-08, 05:57 AM
me here wrote:

> me here wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Saw these on Ebay.
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier
> > -A P-
> > Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDV
> > WQ Qr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem
> >
> > Are they worthwhile?
> >
> > What would happen if I used one of these together with a corner
> > reflector like the EZY-F :-)
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Rob
>
> OOps - the link failed.
>
> Try this
>
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier-
> AP
> -Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVW
> QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>
> Should be OK now.
>
> Cheers again
>
> Rob

Grrrrr......I give up - how do I post a long web address in XanaNews?

I had this happen once before, but have forgotten the answer.

Anyway, forget the link, the piece of hardware I was looking at on Ebay
is a 1 Watt indoor amplifier with the following spec.




Description:

WLAN-2300-1W is an indoor solution 1W bi-direction Booster
designed for 2.4GHz wireless LANs. This unit comes with an easy
plug-and-play installation, which works together with an indoor
Wireless Access Point to improve its operation range and performance.
In certain conditions the unit is able to double the range of the
wireless device. The unit extends signal range and can eliminate the
use of an additional radio with its associated data line, power outlet,
signal interference, and setup headaches.

The unit is the fast and easy way to extend your signal range in
any environment. The unit is ideal for use with 2.4 GHz frequency
hopping or direct sequence spread spectrum radio modems and 11 mbps
IEEE802.11b devices.

The amplifiers increase range by providing transmit gain as well
as low-noise receive gain. This receive gain increase the receive
sensitivity of wireless LAN Access poing. Full output power of 500mW is
achieved with only 5 mW input into the Booster.
*

Specifications:
o Operating range : 2400-2500MHz
o Operating mode : Bi-directional, half-duplex Time Division
Duplex Senses RF carrier from Transmitter and automatically switches
receive to transmit mode
o Transmit gain : 17dB Nominal (Spec. by sustomer)
o Frequency response : dB over operating range
o Output power : 1000mW ( +30 dBm) nominal
o TX input power : 10 dB Nominal (Spec. by customer) & Max
100mW, Min 6mW
o Receiver gain : 14dB typical
o Noise figure : 3.5 dB typical
o Connectors : SMA receptacle (50 ohm)
o Lightning protection : Direct DC ground at antenna connector
o DC surge protection : at 5 BDC input from transmission cable
o Power consumption : 6V DV Max.current<1A, 90-264V for AC
adapter
o Dimensions (cm) : 7.8 cm (L) x 5.6cm (W) x 2.9cm (H)
o Operating temperature : Bi directional booster: -20C to
+70C 5V & DC injector: C to +70C
o Humidity : Bi-directional booster : up to 95% relative
humidity
o Distance : Up to 1500M (5000ft) depends on environment
o Material : Die Casting Aluminum
o Safety Certification : FCC/CE/VCCI.

What do you recon about these?

Cheers

Rob

--

Jeff Liebermann
03-25-08, 12:20 PM
On 25 Mar 2008 21:34:23 +1050, "me here" <gloaming_agnet@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Saw these on Ebay.
>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier-AP-
>Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr
>dZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
>Are they worthwhile?

No.

>What would happen if I used one of these together with a corner
>reflector like the EZY-F :-)

What will happen is that you will have an alligator. That's an animal
with a big mouth and small ears. You'll have the strongest transmit
signal in the area, creating huge amounts of interference. However,
because everyone else that will be talking to your trashmitter will be
running the typical 50mw tx power, you won't be able to hear any
better than without the amplifier. If it has a receive amplifier
inside, all it does it reduce the effects of the coax cable loss.

Also, note that there is a maximum legal power output and antenna
combination in the US. 1 watt into 6dBi. AU may be different. The
corner reflector will have more gain than 6dBi, so this combination
will not be legal.

You will do better with a big antenna, which has gain in both transmit
and receive.

To force your news reader to not word wrap a URL, put whatever it uses
as a quote symbol in front of the line. Most do not wrap quotes. Like
this:
| <http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier-AP-Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
However, it would be useful if you learned to use the eBay item number
instead, as in:
<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280210619887>

Also, I'm boycotting Australian vendors because of the government
operated CSIRO suit against Buffalo Tech for patent infringement:
<http://www.buffalotech.com/press/releases/buffalo-issues-a-statement-about-the-csiro-appeal/>
Of course, I never buy anything from Australia, so it's kinda futile.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

me here
03-25-08, 08:12 PM
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2008 21:34:23 +1050, "me here" <gloaming_agnet@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Saw these on Ebay.
> > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier
> > -AP-
> > Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDV
> > WQQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem
> >
> > Are they worthwhile?
>
> No.
>
> > What would happen if I used one of these together with a corner
> > reflector like the EZY-F :-)
>
> What will happen is that you will have an alligator. That's an animal
> with a big mouth and small ears. You'll have the strongest transmit
> signal in the area, creating huge amounts of interference. However,
> because everyone else that will be talking to your trashmitter will be
> running the typical 50mw tx power, you won't be able to hear any
> better than without the amplifier. If it has a receive amplifier
> inside, all it does it reduce the effects of the coax cable loss.
>
> Also, note that there is a maximum legal power output and antenna
> combination in the US. 1 watt into 6dBi. AU may be different. The
> corner reflector will have more gain than 6dBi, so this combination
> will not be legal.
>
> You will do better with a big antenna, which has gain in both transmit
> and receive.
>
> To force your news reader to not word wrap a URL, put whatever it uses
> as a quote symbol in front of the line. Most do not wrap quotes. Like
> this:
> |
> <http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1W-Indoor-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Booster-Amplifier-
> AP-Router_W0QQitemZ280210619887QQihZ018QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWD
> VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> However, it would be useful if you learned to
> use the eBay item number instead, as in:
> <http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280210619887>
>
> Also, I'm boycotting Australian vendors because of the government
> operated CSIRO suit against Buffalo Tech for patent infringement:
> <http://www.buffalotech.com/press/releases/buffalo-issues-a-statement-
> about-the-csiro-appeal/> Of course, I never buy anything from
> Australia, so it's kinda futile.

Thanks Jeff,

I never thought about the Ebay number.....DOH !

Cheers

Rob

--

DTC
03-25-08, 10:29 PM
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> AU may be different.

For sure! Where else do you require a carrier license to operate on a
non-license band (certain exceptions and allowances apply)?