PDA

View Full Version : Getting HTTP Service Through Firewalled DSL Modem and Router



Patient Guy
03-24-08, 06:05 PM
I had posted this problem earlier but now have more information.

Responder D. Stussy in message ID <news:fqidgp$5cg$1@snarked.org> hit the
nail on the head.

One of my problems was a DSL modem that runs a firewall and filters ports.

Here's what I want to do or here are the facts:

1. I have host on a LAN with IP 192.168.1.2 (for example) running an http
server looking for the usual port 80 packets. I see the
intro/welcome/index page with http://127.0.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.2, no
question about it.

2. There is a DSL modem (a Comtrend CT-5071S ADSL2+ router) that is
provided by the ISP (SureWest) that is between the Internet and the device
described in #3. It reports a A.B.C.Z address (you probably might see this
in the NNTP-Posting-Host header) for the WAN, and this modem has setup a
network with a 10.202, assigning itself 10.202.y.1 address. It has one
other node with a 10.202.y.2 address, the device described in #3. Its
default gateway is A.B.C.Y and DNS server is A.B.C.W.

3. There is a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. Its WAN IP is 10.202.y.2
with the default gateway being 10.202.y.1. Its own LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
and will have as many as 16 hosts assigned to it. I have set "Applications
and Gaming" tab to forward port 80 packets in the router to the designated
IP within the LAN to the host (192.168.1.2) running the web server (for now
IIS7).

4. I am able to interface to the web administration pages of the router
(http://192.168.1.1 with username/password) and also to the DSL modem
(http://10.202.y.1 with username/password). I don't have to directly
connect to the DSL modem...I can do it through the router. I have changed
all the default passwords.

5. I have attempted to change the firewall to get port 80 packets through
the DSL modem and the router to the host described in #1. When I enter
"http://A.B.C.Z" (described in #2 above), I actually see the web
administration interface---already logged in and not asking for login
info---to the DSL modem. Of course, I am asking for port 80 service from
behind the modem and router. If I could an outside entity to ask for
service so that I could see response from outside that would be better.

Manuals for the Comtrend 5071S are not found at Comtrend's website,
although they have for the 5071T whose wed admin interface is similar in
some respects. The manual does not really describe more than what is
evident from just looking at the few words of the interface and trying to
figure it out.

The Linksys interface has an interactive help which also gives bare
descriptions.

My question is how I set up the DSL modem and router to make sure they
forward the port 80 service packets to a web host.


===
As to the dynamically assigned IP addresses involved in all this, I will
worry about this later. Right now, I just want to get port 80 packets
coming from the wide net (WAN) to find their way to the host apparently
behind two firewalls

bainsrealty@gmail.com
04-22-08, 12:17 PM
On Mar 24, 4:05*pm, Patient Guy <sevisen.adam@gmailDOTHEREcom> wrote:
> I had posted this problem earlier but now have more information.
>
> Responder D. Stussy in message ID <news:fqidgp$5cg$1@snarked.org> hit the
> nail on the head.
>
> One of my problems was a DSL modem that runs a firewall and filters ports.
>
> Here's what I want to do or here are the facts:
>
> 1. I have host on a LAN with IP 192.168.1.2 (for example) running an http
> server looking for the usual port 80 packets. *I see the
> intro/welcome/index page withhttp://127.0.0.1/orhttp://192.168.1.2, no
> question about it.
>
> 2. There is a DSL modem (a Comtrend CT-5071S ADSL2+router) that is
> provided by the ISP (SureWest) that is between the Internet and the device
> described in #3. *It reports a A.B.C.Z address (you probably might see this
> in the NNTP-Posting-Host header) for the WAN, and this modem has setup a
> network with a 10.202, assigning itself 10.202.y.1 address. *It has one
> other node with a 10.202.y.2 address, the device described in #3. *Its
> default gateway is A.B.C.Y and DNS server is A.B.C.W.
>
> 3. There is a Linksys WRT54GS wirelessrouter. *Its WAN IP is 10.202.y.2
> with the default gateway being 10.202.y.1. *Its own LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
> and will have as many as 16 hosts assigned to it. *I have set "Applications
> and Gaming" tab to forward port 80 packets in therouterto the designated
> IP within the LAN to the host (192.168.1.2) running the web server (for now
> IIS7).
>
> 4. I am able to interface to the web administration pages of therouter
> (http://192.168.1.1with username/password) and also to the DSL modem
> (http://10.202.y.1with username/password). *I don't have to directly
> connect to the DSL modem...I can do it through therouter. *I have changed
> all the default passwords.
>
> 5. I have attempted to change the firewall to get port 80 packets through
> the DSL modem and therouterto the host described in #1. *When I enter
> "http://A.B.C.Z" (described in #2 above), I actually see the web
> administration interface---already logged in and not asking for login
> info---to the DSL modem. *Of course, I am asking for port 80 service frombehindthe modem androuter. *If I could an outside entity to ask for
> service so that I could see response from outside that would be better. *
>
> Manuals for the Comtrend 5071S are not found at Comtrend's website,
> although they have for the 5071T whose wed admin interface is similar in
> some respects. *The manual does not really describe more than what is
> evident from just looking at the few words of the interface and trying to
> figure it out.
>
> The Linksys interface has an interactive help which also gives bare
> descriptions.
>
> My question is how I set up the DSL modem androuterto make sure they
> forward the port 80 service packets to a web host.
>
> ===
> As to the dynamically assigned IP addresses involved in all this, I will
> worry about this later. *Right now, I just want to get port 80 packets
> coming from the wide net (WAN) to find their way to the host apparentlybehindtwo firewalls

Were you able to coonect it? I'm having the same problems. I will try
to run webserver on port 8080 and see if works then, Seems like
surewest is running webserver on port 80 on their webserver.