PDA

View Full Version : Linksys wireless-G notebook adapter pings Cisco each second



JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-23-08, 10:02 PM
I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
(Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
this ping?

Thanks.

P.Schuman
03-23-08, 10:17 PM
JustA.MereUser@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
> (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
> Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
> longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
> my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
> without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
> this ping?
>

seems weird -
there must be some other piece of software that you are running or viewing
that would ping the cisco website ?

Adair Winter
03-23-08, 10:36 PM
"P.Schuman" <pschuman_no_spam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
> JustA.MereUser@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
>> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
>> (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
>> Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
>> longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
>> my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
>> without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
>> this ping?
>>
>
> seems weird -
> there must be some other piece of software that you are running or viewing
> that would ping the cisco website ?
>

No kidding, I can't see why cisco would want however many people own this
card who are online pinging their website.

Adair

JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-23-08, 11:01 PM
On Mar 23, 11:36 pm, "Adair Winter" <ada...@swbell.net> wrote:
> "P.Schuman" <pschuman_no_spam...@interserv.com> wrote in message
> > JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
> >> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
> >> (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com[198.133.219.25];
> >> Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
> >> longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
> >> my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
> >> without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
> >> this ping?
>
> > seems weird -
> > there must be some other piece of software that you are running or viewing
> > that would ping the cisco website ?
>
> No kidding, I can't see why cisco would want however many people own this
> card who are online pinging their website.

'Tis true. Given the behaviour that I documented under an obnoxious
heading with the word "Linksys" in the subject line, I'm not
surprised. I can even see how it can be argued to be reasonable!

But I think I I found the solution. The "monitor" can be "closed",
which just means that you press the "X" at the upper right corner of
the monitor GUI window to make it disappear (without any
representation down in the taskbar). It is not considered "off"
because the icon still appears on the system tray. In the "closed"
state (but not "off"), the continuous pings do not take place.

However, if you have a software firewall on the PC blocking the pings
when the monitor is "open", then the ping command will take almost
100% of the CPU cycles. I consider this to be a nontrivial design
flaw.

The workaround is to allow the outgoing pings to that IP address only,
with logged notification, and to close the monitor when you're done
establishing a working connection with the access point. The monitor
is much needed in establishing the connection because of the anomalous
behaviour that I described earlier, under the recent obnoxious heading
with the word "Linksys" in the subject line. I will try to remain
professional henceforth.

Jeff Liebermann
03-23-08, 11:45 PM
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:02:38 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
wrote:

>I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
>Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
>(Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
>Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
>longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
>my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
>without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
>this ping?

Can I get some additional information?
1. Hardware version of the WPC54G card? It's on the serial number
sticker. v1.0 thru v7.0
2. Any particular operating system? Your news header shows G2/1.0 on
a Pocket PC. What maker and model PDA? I'm curious.
3. What version driver are you using? Looks like every hardware
version has a somewhat different driver and "Network Monitor" version.

I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try. I
hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.

I don't wanna offer suggestions until I get a clue as to the OS and
hardware version.


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

P.Schuman
03-24-08, 12:57 AM
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:02:38 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
>> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every
>> second (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com
>> [198.133.219.25]; Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the
>> monitor, I can no longer access the internet. Before I poke another
>> permanent hole in my firewall for this ping, is there a way to
>> operate the wireless card without having this ping? As well, has
>> any other WPC54G user observed this ping?
>
> Can I get some additional information?
> 1. Hardware version of the WPC54G card? It's on the serial number
> sticker. v1.0 thru v7.0
> 2. Any particular operating system? Your news header shows G2/1.0 on
> a Pocket PC. What maker and model PDA? I'm curious.
> 3. What version driver are you using? Looks like every hardware
> version has a somewhat different driver and "Network Monitor" version.
>
> I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try. I
> hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.
>
> I don't wanna offer suggestions until I get a clue as to the OS and
> hardware version.
>
>
wow - interesting that the card might be running in a PDA.
In that case, I wonder if the continuous pings might be some method
of keeping the card alive vs going to sleep,
or maybe looking for a firmware update... but badly implemented... or ??

The original posting showed these headers...
I see the "G2" agent,
but also the HTTP agent implies Firefox on XP (or is that NT 5.1) ?
---
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1206327758 14592 127.0.0.1 (24 Mar 2008 03:02:38
GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:02:38 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: 8g2000hse.googlegroups.com; posting-host=206.248.161.221;
posting-account=TZscPwoAAAATEsdxuBRUO_S-6yoNWwFY
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;
rv:1.8.1.12)
Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-24-08, 05:11 PM
On Mar 24, 12:45 am, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:02:38 -0700 (PDT),
> JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless
>> Network Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping
>> cisco every second (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request
>> localhost->www.cisco.com[198.133.219.25]; Owner: TCP/IP Kernal
>> Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no longer access
>> the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in my
>> firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless
>> card without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G
>> user observed this ping?
>
> Can I get some additional information?
> 1. Hardware version of the WPC54G card? It's on the serial
> number sticker. v1.0 thru v7.0

No version designation beside any of the 3 bar codes, but beside
the model number WPC54G, it says version 3.1.

> 2. Any particular operating system? Your news header shows
> G2/1.0 on a Pocket PC. What maker and model PDA? I'm
> curious.

Hmm, that's odd. This is a laptop, Windows 2000 service pack 4.

> 3. What version driver are you using? Looks like every hardware
> version has a somewhat different driver and "Network
> Monitor" version.

To get the driver version, I went to:
Start -> Settings -> NetworkAndDialupConnections ->
LocalAreaConnect4 -> General(tab)

The topmost field is "Connecting using" and shows "Wireless-G
Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2".

The [Un]Install/Properties buttons are grayed out because I'm
using a power user account, but clicking on Configure pops up a
window entitled "Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2
Properties" containing tabs "General", "Driver", and "Resources".

The Driver tab shows:

Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2
Driver Provider: The Linksys Group, Inc.
Driver Date: 18/02/2005
Driver Version: 3.100.64.0
Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

Clicking on Driver Details pops up a Drive File Details window
containing:

Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2
Driver files: c:\WINNT\system32\DRIVERS\bcmwI5.sys
Provider: Broadcom Corporation
File versoin: 3.100.64.0 built by: WinDDK
Copyright: 1998-2005, Broadcom Corporation All Rights

Note that the "I" in bcmwI5" could be a captial "i", the number
"1", or the small "L" -- the file doesn't actually exist with the
path shown. The closes filename in that directory is
bcm42rly.sys.

> I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try. I
> hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.
>
> I don't wanna offer suggestions until I get a clue as to the OS and
> hardware version.

Any light that you can shed on it would be welcome. Thanks.

Jeff Liebermann
03-24-08, 05:41 PM
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
wrote:

>No version designation beside any of the 3 bar codes, but beside
>the model number WPC54G, it says version 3.1.

The hardware version is 3.1.
<
>
>> 2. Any particular operating system? Your news header shows
>> G2/1.0 on a Pocket PC. What maker and model PDA? I'm
>> curious.
>
>Hmm, that's odd. This is a laptop, Windows 2000 service pack 4.

Your news posting header shows:
User-Agent: G2/1.0
I thought that was a newsreader for Windoze Mobile, but apparently the
designation is used by some others. Sorry for the bad guess.

>The topmost field is "Connecting using" and shows "Wireless-G
>Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2".

Do you have two wireless WPC54G v3 wireless adapters showing under:
Control Panel -> Network
Weird things sometimes happen if you have duplicate adapters
configured. Delete or disable one. I don't think this has anything
to do with the pinging.

> Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2
> Driver Provider: The Linksys Group, Inc.
> Driver Date: 18/02/2005
> Driver Version: 3.100.64.0
> Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

Old driver. Go unto:
<http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859842300&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4230040888B20&displaypage=download#versiondetail>
and install 4.100.15.5 1/29/2007.
Looking at the revision history, it appears that you're 5 releases and
3 years behind on updates.

>> I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try. I
>> hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.

I found the box, but there's no card inside. I'll see if I can find
it, but methinks it best if you would install the latest driver first
and see if the problem goes away.

--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831-336-2558 jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Aaron Leonard
03-25-08, 12:20 PM
~ >> I'm running the Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter, Wireless Network
~ >> Monitor v3.1, for the Linksys WPC54G card. It ping cisco every second
~ >> (Out ICMP [8] Echo Request localhost->www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25];
~ >> Owner: TCP/IP Kernal Driver). If I turn off the monitor, I can no
~ >> longer access the internet. Before I poke another permanent hole in
~ >> my firewall for this ping, is there a way to operate the wireless card
~ >> without having this ping? As well, has any other WPC54G user observed
~ >> this ping?
~ >>
~ >
~ > seems weird -
~ > there must be some other piece of software that you are running or viewing
~ > that would ping the cisco website ?
~ >
~
~ No kidding, I can't see why cisco would want however many people own this
~ card who are online pinging their website.
~
~ Adair

Consider the possibility that they guys who wrote the code for the Linksys
card didn't ask the guys who run www.cisco.com for permission to ping ...
but at least they "kept it in the family".

It could have been worse - a certain competitor of Linksys' shipped tons of
their routers preconfigured to query a public NTP server - and worse, to
batter it savagely if it didn't respond in time. Several others have done
this as well.

Aaron

JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-25-08, 09:12 PM
On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> 2. Any particular operating system? Your news header shows
> G2/1.0 on a Pocket PC. What maker and model PDA? I'm
> curious.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT),
JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hmm, that's odd. This is a laptop, Windows 2000 service pack
> 4.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT),
JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> The topmost field is "Connecting using" and shows "Wireless-G
> Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2".

On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> Do you have two wireless WPC54G v3 wireless adapters showing
> under:
> Control Panel -> Network
> Weird things sometimes happen if you have duplicate adapters
> configured. Delete or disable one. I don't think this has
> anything to do with the pinging.

No. Apart from a number dialup connections that I haven't used
in a long while, I have

* Local Area Connection (wired ethernet, when available, not
used simultaneously with wireless)

* Local Area Connection 4 (Linksys wireless card). Weird that
it is numbered 4, I don't recall what kind of circumstances
surrounded its installation aside from long hours on the
phone with overseas tech support, on many an occassion.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
wrote:
> Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2
> Driver Provider: The Linksys Group, Inc.
> Driver Date: 18/02/2005
> Driver Version: 3.100.64.0
> Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> Old driver. Go unto:
> <http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagena...>
> and install 4.100.15.5 1/29/2007.
> Looking at the revision history, it appears that you're 5
> releases and 3 years behind on updates.

Good idea. Thanks for that. I'll have to put it in my back
pocket for the time being. Trying to meet a few unrealistic
deadlines, and not wanting to get into anything new just at the
moment.

On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try.
> I hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.
>
> I found the box, but there's no card inside. I'll see if I can
> find it, but methinks it best if you would install the latest
> driver first and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks, Jeff.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk
03-27-08, 07:13 AM
On 26 Mar, 03:12, JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> > 2. *Any particular operating system? *Your news header shows
> > * * G2/1.0 on a Pocket PC. *What maker and model PDA? *I'm
> > * * curious.
>
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT),
>
> JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hmm, that's odd. *This is a laptop, Windows 2000 service pack
> > 4.
>
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT),
>
> JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The topmost field is "Connecting using" and shows "Wireless-G
> > Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2".
>
> On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you have two wireless WPC54G v3 wireless adapters showing
> > under:
> > * Control Panel -> Network
> > Weird things sometimes happen if you have duplicate adapters
> > configured. *Delete or disable one. *I don't think this has
> > anything to do with the pinging.
>
> No. *Apart from a number dialup connections that I haven't used
> in a long while, I have
>
> * ** Local Area Connection (wired ethernet, when available, not
> * * *used simultaneously with wireless)
>
> * ** Local Area Connection 4 (Linksys wireless card). *Weird that
> * * *it is numbered 4, I don't recall what kind of circumstances
> * * *surrounded its installation aside from long hours on the
> * * *phone with overseas tech support, on many an occassion.
>
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> > * Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2
> > * Driver Provider: The Linksys Group, Inc.
> > * Driver Date: 18/02/2005
> > * Driver Version: 3.100.64.0
> > * Digital Signer: Not digitally signed
>
> On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> > Old driver. *Go unto:
> > <http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagena....>
> > and install 4.100.15.5 1/29/2007.
> > Looking at the revision history, it appears that you're 5
> > releases and 3 years behind on updates.
>
> Good idea. *Thanks for that. *I'll have to put it in my back
> pocket for the time being. *Trying to meet a few unrealistic
> deadlines, and not wanting to get into anything new just at the
> moment.
>
> On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try.
> > I hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.
>
> > I found the box, but there's no card inside. *I'll see if I can
> > find it, but methinks it best if you would install the latest
> > driver first and see if the problem goes away.

Hmmmm.

If I recall correctly, www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25] no longer
responds to pings.

It definately did once upon a time but does not today and has
not for maybe a year.

JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-28-08, 07:28 PM
I tried the link for the updated driver below, but it's for version 7
of WPC54G (versus version 3 that I have). The page also warns against
using drivers for the wrong version. I also confirmed that I do in
fact have the latest drivers for the version 3 card. Notwithstanding
the warning, what has been the experience of other version 3 card
owners who may have used version 7 card drivers?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Linksys wireless-G notebook adapter pings Cisco each
second
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:12:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: JustA.MereUser@gmail.com

On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> 2. Any particular operating system? Your news header shows
> G2/1.0 on a Pocket PC. What maker and model PDA? I'm
> curious.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT),
JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hmm, that's odd. This is a laptop, Windows 2000 service pack
> 4.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT),
JustA.MereU...@gmail.com wrote:
> The topmost field is "Connecting using" and shows "Wireless-G
> Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2".

On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> Do you have two wireless WPC54G v3 wireless adapters showing
> under:
> Control Panel -> Network
> Weird things sometimes happen if you have duplicate adapters
> configured. Delete or disable one. I don't think this has
> anything to do with the pinging.

No. Apart from a number dialup connections that I haven't used
in a long while, I have

* Local Area Connection (wired ethernet, when available, not
used simultaneously with wireless)

* Local Area Connection 4 (Linksys wireless card). Weird that
it is numbered 4, I don't recall what kind of circumstances
surrounded its installation aside from long hours on the
phone with overseas tech support, on many an occassion.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
wrote:
> Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G V3 #2
> Driver Provider: The Linksys Group, Inc.
> Driver Date: 18/02/2005
> Driver Version: 3.100.64.0
> Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> Old driver. Go unto:
> <http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859842300&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4230040888B20&displaypage=download#versiondetail>
> and install 4.100.15.5 1/29/2007.
> Looking at the revision history, it appears that you're 5
> releases and 3 years behind on updates.

Good idea. Thanks for that. I'll have to put it in my back
pocket for the time being. Trying to meet a few unrealistic
deadlines, and not wanting to get into anything new just at the
moment.

On Mar 24, 6:41 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> I have a WPC54G version something in the office that I can try.
> I hadn't seen this behavior, but then I wasn't looking for it.
>
> I found the box, but there's no card inside. I'll see if I can
> find it, but methinks it best if you would install the latest
> driver first and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks, Jeff.

Jeff Liebermann
03-29-08, 12:40 PM
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:28:38 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
wrote:

>I tried the link for the updated driver below, but it's for version 7
>of WPC54G (versus version 3 that I have). The page also warns against
>using drivers for the wrong version. I also confirmed that I do in
>fact have the latest drivers for the version 3 card. Notwithstanding
>the warning, what has been the experience of other version 3 card
>owners who may have used version 7 card drivers?

The link I posted goes the WPC54G support page. On the support page
is a pull down menu with a list of hardware version numbers. Select
v3.0 which leads to:
<http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859842300&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4230040888B20&displaypage=download#versiondetail>
<http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=text%2Fplain&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3Dwpc54g_ver.txt&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193770230808&ssbinary=true&lid=4734842300B21>

Argh, you're correct. I somehow picked the wrong hardware version
number. You currently have the latest version installed for v3
(3.100.64.0 7/28/2005). Please do NOT try drivers from other versions
as the hardware is quite different between version. It won't work.

Incidentally, I never did find my WPC54G card so I can't verify the
problem (pinging Cisco every second). I don't have a clue what to do
next. You might get better results from the Linksys support forum.
<http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board?board.id=Wireless_Adapters>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-29-08, 02:27 PM
On Mar 29, 1:40 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:28:38 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >I tried the link for the updated driver below, but it's for version
> >7 of WPC54G (versus version 3 that I have). The page also warns
> >against using drivers for the wrong version. I also confirmed that
> >I do in fact have the latest drivers for the version 3 card.
> >Notwithstanding the warning, what has been the experience of other
> >version 3 card owners who may have used version 7 card drivers?
>
> Argh, you're correct. I somehow picked the wrong hardware version
> number. You currently have the latest version installed for v3
> (3.100.64.0 7/28/2005). Please do NOT try drivers from other
> versions as the hardware is quite different between version. It
> won't work.
>
> Incidentally, I never did find my WPC54G card so I can't verify the
> problem (pinging Cisco every second). I don't have a clue what to
> do next. You might get better results from the Linksys support
> forum.
> <http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board?board.id=Wireless_Adapters>

Actually, I posted a solution that works for me in this thread at
http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/320645cb0fed4542.
As long as you exit the card's software "Monitor" on the system tray,
you can "close" the window using the "X" at the upper right corner and
the pinging stops. As I said, it makes sense, since the Monitor is
monitoring connectivity with the internet. The simplest way would be
a ping.

Thanks anyway!

Jeff Liebermann
03-29-08, 03:05 PM
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:27:32 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
wrote:

>Actually, I posted a solution that works for me in this thread at
>http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/320645cb0fed4542.

Thanks. I missed a few articles switching from Newsguy to Supernews.
Nice troubleshooting.

>As long as you exit the card's software "Monitor" on the system tray,
>you can "close" the window using the "X" at the upper right corner and
>the pinging stops. As I said, it makes sense, since the Monitor is
>monitoring connectivity with the internet. The simplest way would be
>a ping.

Yeah, that makes sense if Cisco is willing to accept the traffic. A
few million Linksys cards that use the supplied Monitor program,
pounding on their web server with 84 bytes per second, is still a
substantial amount of traffic. That would be:
84 bytes/sec * 1 million users = 84MBytes/sec
of traffic to Cisco's web server. Once per second is excessive for a
connectivity monitor as once a minute or bettery yet, variable ping
rates, would have been adequate. They could also have pinged the
local ISP gateway instead a single target server.

I still think you should post something to the Linksys forum on the
topic, for no better reason than to get their attention for what I
consider to be rotten software design.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-30-08, 05:21 PM
On Mar 29, 4:05 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:27:32 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >Actually, I posted a solution that works for me in this thread at
> >http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/320645cb0fed4542.
>
> Thanks. I missed a few articles switching from Newsguy to Supernews.
> Nice troubleshooting.
>
> >As long as you exit the card's software "Monitor" on the system tray,
> >you can "close" the window using the "X" at the upper right corner and
> >the pinging stops. As I said, it makes sense, since the Monitor is
> >monitoring connectivity with the internet. The simplest way would be
> >a ping.
>
> Yeah, that makes sense if Cisco is willing to accept the traffic. A
> few million Linksys cards that use the supplied Monitor program,
> pounding on their web server with 84 bytes per second, is still a
> substantial amount of traffic. That would be:
> 84 bytes/sec * 1 million users = 84MBytes/sec
> of traffic to Cisco's web server. Once per second is excessive for a
> connectivity monitor as once a minute or bettery yet, variable ping
> rates, would have been adequate. They could also have pinged the
> local ISP gateway instead a single target server.
>
> I still think you should post something to the Linksys forum on the
> topic, for no better reason than to get their attention for what I
> consider to be rotten software design.

Is it that bad though? It is only pinging when the monitor is up.
Once you see everything working, there isn't much point in monitoring.

Jeff Liebermann
03-30-08, 06:46 PM
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:21:42 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Mar 29, 4:05 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:27:32 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Actually, I posted a solution that works for me in this thread at
>> >http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/320645cb0fed4542.
>>
>> Thanks. I missed a few articles switching from Newsguy to Supernews.
>> Nice troubleshooting.
>>
>> >As long as you exit the card's software "Monitor" on the system tray,
>> >you can "close" the window using the "X" at the upper right corner and
>> >the pinging stops. As I said, it makes sense, since the Monitor is
>> >monitoring connectivity with the internet. The simplest way would be
>> >a ping.
>>
>> Yeah, that makes sense if Cisco is willing to accept the traffic. A
>> few million Linksys cards that use the supplied Monitor program,
>> pounding on their web server with 84 bytes per second, is still a
>> substantial amount of traffic. That would be:
>> 84 bytes/sec * 1 million users = 84MBytes/sec
>> of traffic to Cisco's web server. Once per second is excessive for a
>> connectivity monitor as once a minute or bettery yet, variable ping
>> rates, would have been adequate. They could also have pinged the
>> local ISP gateway instead a single target server.
>>
>> I still think you should post something to the Linksys forum on the
>> topic, for no better reason than to get their attention for what I
>> consider to be rotten software design.

>Is it that bad though? It is only pinging when the monitor is up.
>Once you see everything working, there isn't much point in monitoring.

What happens when you minimize the monitor window or leave it showing
in the system tray? Does it continue to ping? If yes, I consider
that rather bad design. If it stops pinging, it's not a problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

JustA.MereUser@gmail.com
03-30-08, 08:59 PM
On Mar 30, 7:46 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:21:42 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>
>
> >On Mar 29, 4:05 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:27:32 -0700 (PDT), JustA.MereU...@gmail.com
> >> wrote:
>
> >> >Actually, I posted a solution that works for me in this thread at
> >> >http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/320645cb0fed4542.
>
> >> Thanks. I missed a few articles switching from Newsguy to Supernews.
> >> Nice troubleshooting.
>
> >> >As long as you exit the card's software "Monitor" on the system tray,
> >> >you can "close" the window using the "X" at the upper right corner and
> >> >the pinging stops. As I said, it makes sense, since the Monitor is
> >> >monitoring connectivity with the internet. The simplest way would be
> >> >a ping.
>
> >> Yeah, that makes sense if Cisco is willing to accept the traffic. A
> >> few million Linksys cards that use the supplied Monitor program,
> >> pounding on their web server with 84 bytes per second, is still a
> >> substantial amount of traffic. That would be:
> >> 84 bytes/sec * 1 million users = 84MBytes/sec
> >> of traffic to Cisco's web server. Once per second is excessive for a
> >> connectivity monitor as once a minute or bettery yet, variable ping
> >> rates, would have been adequate. They could also have pinged the
> >> local ISP gateway instead a single target server.
>
> >> I still think you should post something to the Linksys forum on the
> >> topic, for no better reason than to get their attention for what I
> >> consider to be rotten software design.
> >Is it that bad though? It is only pinging when the monitor is up.
> >Once you see everything working, there isn't much point in monitoring.
>
> What happens when you minimize the monitor window or leave it showing
> in the system tray? Does it continue to ping? If yes, I consider
> that rather bad design. If it stops pinging, it's not a problem.

It stops pinging. So it's not as bad as initially described. What
probably needs beefing up is the documentation explaining the use of
the monitor, and what it does. As well as an improvement in the GUI,
which only shows partial info in all its fields when the string is
too long. This seems to be the case most of the time.