PDA

View Full Version : which should I buy?

Omnipressive
12-27-00, 07:03 PM
I have the money for both systems... Which, and why should I buy one or the other.

System 1: AMD
-------------
AMD Athlon (t-bird) 1.2Ghz
Abit KT7A-raid Mobo
128mb pc100 ram/128mb pc133 ram (2 chips)
2 20 gb Maxtor hard drives in Raid
Golden Orb Heatsink-fan
Soundblaster LIVE!
WD Firewire NIC
3d Prophet GeFORCE DDR-DVI
DVD (undecided brand) player
Sony CDRW
--------------------------------------

OR
System 2: Pentium
Pentium 4 1.4Ghz
128mb Rdram stick
Unknown mobo (yet) with Raid
2 20 gb Maxtor hard drives in Raid
Golden Orb Heatsink-fan
Soundblaster LIVE!
WD Firewire NIC
3d Prophet GeFORCE DDR-DVI
DVD (undecided brand) player
Sony CDRW

I know there are a lot of both AMD and Intel supporters here.

I have a choice of EITHER systems. I am not changing any specs, unless I've made an error in my config. So pleeease don't say "Dude, just pick up a duron and OC it! Its cheaper!"

Thanks. I hope to break the 8000 mark in 3d Mark 2001 with this. The higher, the merrier.

------------------
-mAtt

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the mist of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

ssjDoh
12-27-00, 07:10 PM
Hmmm, I see you are getting the KT133A chipset (if you get AMD)

Although the P4 is faster in 3D, I'll still get the AMD over it http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

If you do get Athlon, try to get a better HSF...That 1.2GHz will heat your whole house without proper cooling!!

freckmoto
12-27-00, 08:06 PM
Sure will man, I was once messin around with my case fans and I got a little careless. I left my HSF unplugged. Let me tell you, that thing heated fast as hell, as soon as windows booted it was running 70 C!!! It shutdown immediately and plugged it back in, and my proc, and me lived to tell about it http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif
I would wait for the AMD 760 Chipset and get a new DDR T-bird. Then you will get a sweet sys. But, if you want it now, still, go AMD.

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2

freckmoto
12-27-00, 08:08 PM
Oh, the GORB wont even fit on a socket A Chip. If you dont care about noise get a Globalwin FOP 38, but if you are a bit noise concious get a FOP32-1. Either should keep your proc nice and chilly, but good case cooling will help too.

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2

hoho
12-29-00, 09:32 AM
System 1 is much better if you're planning on overclocking. That RAM might be a problem because the PC133 will have to run at PC100 since you have a PC100 chip in there already. Forget the GORB and get an FOP32-1 or an OCZ Monster II. How fast is that DVD player and CDRW?

cy88
12-29-00, 04:16 PM
I think System 1 is better since ppl had ran a lot of test of both P4 1.4Ghz and TB 1.2Ghz...We've been told that the Athlons use either a 200Mhz or 266Mhz front-side bus, while the Pentium 4 uses a 400mhz FSB. In the past, I've likened the different speeds of FSB to lanes of a freeway, saying that it doens't matter what's going on inside the vehicles; if all start at the same time, someone is going to get to the work first. Now i've had to come up with a different analogy, because there is no FSB that actually operates faster than 133 Mhz. Gotcha. Instrad, AMD does what has become called "double-pumping" -- sending twice as much data along the bus in each clock cycle. Intel has fired back with what's being called "quad-pumping" sending four times as much data with each cycle. So waht? Well, it begins to explain why in some tests the "slower" 1.2 Ghz Athlon Mustang is whipping the "faster" P4. Although the Athlon Mustang pumps half as much data as the P4 does along its FSB, the Atholon based system does it 30% faster. And AMD is better at overclocking too. Again, RAM might be a problem cuz it's only operates at 100Mhz

Chris

Overlord66
12-29-00, 05:55 PM
I have a P4 1.4GHZ and it seems to be faster than most athlons at 1.2ghz plus rdram is badazz in quake III

freckmoto
12-29-00, 10:19 PM
However, RAMBUS is fading away because of bandwidth issues. DDR SDRAM is faster than RDRAM.

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2

glc1
12-29-00, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by freckmoto:
However, RAMBUS is fading away because of bandwidth issues.Ah, not quite. RDRAM is superior to DDR when it comes to memory bandwidth.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-29-2000).]

glc1
12-29-00, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by cy88:
We've been told that the Athlons use either a 200Mhz or 266Mhz front-side busTheir CPUs use a 100 or 133 (not out yet) FSB, which effectively makes the data rate 200 or 266 (DDR).

Originally posted by cy88:
while the Pentium 4 uses a 400mhz FSBP4s have a 100FSB, which results in a data rate of 400 (QDR).

The P4's architecture is Intel's first truly new x86 architecture and is purposely cripled, so to speak, in order to yield greater clock speeds. They are using the same process, however, they have increased the size of the pipeline in order to remove the redundancy (i.e., flaws) in the old x86 architecture, which resulted in the P3 1.13GHz being a bust. Of course, they have developed and included several other features that are supposed to make up for the longer pipeline.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-29-2000).]

Amro
12-29-00, 11:33 PM
if u want the pentium 4, get it--but wait 6 months for new socket...if want the amd, get it now.. mm heh it isn't really 266.. u never really see that speed. the p4 1.4 or 1.5 ghz is SUPPOSED to only be as fast as a 1.2 athlon..rambus is superior in bandwidth only on the p4 where it uses dual chanel (3.2 GBps compared to ddr's ---at 133mhz ddr-- 2.1 GBps max if i'm not mistaken.) BUT ddr is superior when it comes to latency. i THINK (can't quite member) rambus is like 60ns where ddr is still like 8 ns or something similar. mm anyway ups and downs to both. i'd get the AMD because more bang for the buck and cheaper but still blazing fast...i'd stay away from the intel because it's a poor value and if u get it now, you'll be left w/ out a reasonable chip upgrade option a year or two from now due to intel's socket change.. plus it's a new architecture.. let them hammer the bugs (i'm there there are some) out.

later,
Amro

p.s. i'm in the middle as far as amd vs intel.. mm for now amd has my vote because of $$ value...intel may later... we'll see i suppose.

freckmoto
12-29-00, 11:38 PM
Your right, what am I thinking of that is making RAMBUS obsolete so soon?

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2

glc1
12-30-00, 12:46 AM
Your right, what am I thinking of that is making RAMBUS obsolete so soon?
The way Intel handled the transition--they forced RAMBUS onto the consumer market. The i815/i815e and i810 is a by-product of this action. Furthermore, the cost and the fact that consumers have no use for RDRAM, as it is most desired for high-end servers and workstations. Anyway, I don't think RDRAM will be obsolete anytime soon and I don't think they are even headed that way.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-30-2000).]

freckmoto
12-30-00, 02:35 AM
So basically, the socalled "obsolete" RAMBUS technology is just too expensive, making it hard for intel to sell P4's gotcha.

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2

glc1
12-30-00, 03:58 AM
So basically, the socalled "obsolete" RAMBUS technology is just too expensive, making it hard for intel to sell P4's gotcha.
If anything is going to keep P4 sales down, it will be their price. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Back to RDRAM--RDRAM does have a latency problem.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-30-2000).]