PDA

View Full Version : P3 1GHz.... Is Something Wrong ?

MiamiDSL
12-27-00, 12:34 PM
Hi, I bout a new computer and the specs are awesome .... but I don't know if I expected too much, or my PC is lacking an optimization or something....

I play all the games like quake2, quake3, half life, unreal, unreal tournament ect.... and I have a 19 inch monitor so I run most (if not all) my games at 1280x1024 resolution. In quake3 it shows I have a constant 90 fps, but sometimes (like one to five times) when I play I get little pauses, that last about a split second. I know that sounds picky considering the load I put on my system, but it IS a p3 1 GHz and I have the 64 MB GeForce2 GTS, w/ 128 MB RAM. Is this normal. If so or if not could you guys post your average fps so I could see wheather or not I'm doin ok.

And another thing. I have this nice graphicaly featured racing game called 4x4 evolution, sometimes, when I enter any track and hit the accelerator I get pauses, it seems as though my pc adjusts to the game and then runs smooth, I don't like those pauses ! It makes me think I bout a cheapo PC =(. The same thing w/ Deus Ex, I sometimes get thos split second pauses also, could it be the res I am running at ?

Thanks alot !

nightowl
12-27-00, 12:46 PM
defrag your hard drive.......that pause is when the computer is accessing the hard drive for something....also for the best performance make shure there is nothing running in the background on your computer while playing a game.....oh and make shure you have the latest drivers for your vid card

------------------
"DUDE where is my car"
"where is your car, dude"

"aaaaaaaannnnnnndddddddd tttttthhhhhhheennnnn........"
"NO AND THEN!!!!!!!!!"

MiamiDSL
12-27-00, 12:50 PM
Thx, but I just formatted, because it came w/ windown me, I installed a dual boot w/ win98 se and win2k. But I do sometimes have crap in the backround. thx,

[This message has been edited by MiamiDSL (edited 12-27-2000).]

Crimson
12-27-00, 12:54 PM
I get those little pauses too when i jump and spin around......kinda lame b/c i always blow myself up b/c i end up shootin the wall http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif I dont think its my hard drive because its brand new, only other thing i can think of is packet loss but it doesn't make sense to why it always happens when i jump and spin around?

MiamiDSL
12-27-00, 01:19 PM
Is your system similar to mine crimson ?

glc1
12-27-00, 04:57 PM
MiamiDSL, your video card is the bottleneck. Try running at 800x600 or 1024x768.

MiamiDSL
12-27-00, 05:21 PM
Wow, and I thought this was one of the best cards availible =(.

glc1
12-27-00, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by MiamiDSL:
Wow, and I thought this was one of the best cards availible =(.It is, however, video cards are still the bottleneck in today's systems. 1280 is too high for most games, especially FPS.

Amro
12-27-00, 08:07 PM
heh, i read someplace--toms hardware i think--once that a lot of 3d cards take time once in a game to 'warm up' so to speak before playin smoothly

Crimson
12-27-00, 08:11 PM
Miami my system is a 1 ghz tbird. I only have a vd3 2000 pci running @ 800x600. So GLC or anyone whats causing the pause when i jump and spin? 128mb ram? video card? or packetloss from cable?

Battleship
12-27-00, 09:50 PM
Get more RAM, throw in another 128 meg stick its real cheap,

------------------
A:\ >format c:
WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with format Kris (Y/N)?y

freckmoto
12-27-00, 10:06 PM
Crimson, I would say the PCI vid card probably isn't helping too much. Have you tried the WickedGL drivers?

Freckmoto

CRoZZ
12-28-00, 09:42 AM
just a thought...what cas setting u running your ram at 2 or 3 ? ... Im running a PIII 800e at 1.040 Ghz had somewhat the same is issues.......Ram is very important for stablilty

ssjDoh
12-28-00, 11:42 PM
The stttutering you are getting is from the Geforce. Although you will get very high MAX fps, you also experience low fps when there's a lot of action. (Heard many Geforce users with similar problems)

Which drivers are you using?

Play in 1024x768, this could help. Are you sync your refresh rate?