PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing ADA885 w/ SB Live! MP3+

MiamiDSL
12-25-00, 12:45 PM
I am aware that the altec speakers are suppose to be a 5.1 setup even though there is only 4 speakers. My question is...... does the SB Live! sound card recognize the S/PDIF output to these speakers ? Because when I run the program within the creative launcher called Surround Mixer, and test the speakers when 5.1 setup is enabled, I have the following problems.....

1) NEVER hear the center channel....
2) Only hear all four speakers in Quad and Stereo X2......
3) Always can hear the front 2 channels......

The second problem I am experiencing is when I enable play digital only, I only hear anything when I set the speakers in dolby digital mode, and when I do hear it, Its only the front 2 channels.... am I setting something up wrong ? Is this normal because the SB Live! Soundcards werent ment for the Altec Speakers ? Does anyone have the same problem/experience ?

Thanks in advance....

freckmoto
12-25-00, 06:35 PM
I don't see how it is 5.1 if there are only 4 speakers and a sub. That, by definition makes it 4.1, though it may be dolby digital. And, how would you hear the center channel if you dont have a center speaker. BTW, it should recognize the S/PDIF output on the SB Live.

Freckmoto

freckmoto
12-25-00, 06:39 PM
Are you saying its simulated 5.1??

Freckmoto

MiamiDSL
12-26-00, 02:42 AM
It creates a virtual center chanel when you mount the two rear speakers on top of the corresponding front speakers, but someone who has the same speakers I do w/ SB Live! just confirmed that they have the same problems/experiences I do, so I think this is normal. Regardless, these speakers are awesome I just wanted to know whether or not my speakers were malfunctioning, thanks alot for your help.

freckmoto
12-27-00, 01:12 AM
Hmmm... digital speakers *drool* well, my flatpanel monsoon mm700's will have to do for now http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2