PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Optical Wheelmouse/Gaming....

Omnipressive
12-23-00, 04:28 AM
Hi there

I just picked up the Logitech Optical Wheelmouse from Best Buy.. And I wanted to get some other opinions on it, besides mine...

Well, It seems incredible in windows... Nothing wrong, as far as I can tell. It runs smooth, it feels okay, and the LED light on the bottom is really cool.

BUT Problems arise when playing games. I play a lot of first person shooters.. And as everyone knows, when you get to a certain point, you must pick your mouse up, and move it over a bit, correct? Well, when I do this, since there is no "ball" in the mouse to stop spinning as I pick it up, the optic light still senses some movement, as I pick the mouse up, and move it back over to the right. This messes up some things in games, such as tracking a player with a gun, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems as this. And if so, are there any fixes? Such as different mouse pad materials/colors, etc. I've tried it on a plastic ratpad, and a cloth mousepad, and it does the same thing on both.

Finally, I would like to know.. Would everyone suggest I try to get used to it, or should I just return it?

Thanks.

------------------
-mAtt

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the mist of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

YARDofSTUF
12-23-00, 04:54 AM
try getting used to it and lifting the front part up a bit more when u have to move it over, i have the same mouse, play unreal, halflife and quake 3, no probs except for teh first few days.

Omnipressive
12-23-00, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ssjDoh:
Also, pick up the reg edit from logitech's site, if you are having problems using the mouse wheel in games.

I went to their site, but could not find that reg edit...

Do you have a link, or...?
tia

------------------
-mAtt

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the mist of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

YARDofSTUF
12-23-00, 04:39 PM
http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/mousefiles_w98.cfm

link for the windows 98 one, take off the _w98.cfm to pick a different OS.

ssjDoh
12-23-00, 11:32 PM
And, you don't need a mouse pad. Also, pick up the reg edit from logitech's site, if you are having problems using the mouse wheel in games.

Omnipressive
12-24-00, 03:54 AM
well..

thats just the drivers/crapware Logitech released...

The mousewheel works in Windows just fine, but when I am in a game.. say... Quake 2.. I want to use the mousewheel's functions to switch weapons... Slide it up to go to the previous, and slide it down to go to the next weapon...

I have everything bound correctly in the game... except, instead of rolling the wheel for one 'click' like I used to do with my MS Wheelmouse, I have to roll the mousewheel like 100 times.

It is really frustrating.. I just don't know whats up with it.

------------------
-mAtt

Omnipressive
12-24-00, 07:37 PM
thx ssjDoh..

It works!

Now, if only I could get used to this whole jittery business that the mouse is giving me.

happy *****-idays...

------------------
-mAtt

ssjDoh
12-24-00, 11:29 PM
http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/mousefiles_w98.cfm?46#3

MOUSE REGISTRY FILE FOR GAMERS
Description: GAME_WHL.EXE is a Registry file that allows gamers to use a Logitech wheel/roller mouse without having to disable or end task on EM_EXEC.EXE, when playing games such as Rogue Spear and Quake 2/3.
NOTE: This file is designed to be used with Logitech MouseWare software version 8.40 and above.

freckmoto
12-25-00, 06:43 PM
Will that regedit work for Win2k?

Freckmoto

freckmoto
12-25-00, 06:55 PM
Well, I tried it, and it does http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Gyga-Bite
12-25-00, 11:18 PM
DUDE! i have been sucking at UT but as soon as I got this mouse I got 41 out of my teams 50 frags on morphious! this mouse if awesome. piss off boomslang!

Claude_Ballz
01-01-01, 04:11 PM
Well, that's just PEACHY .... I've been having the same prob., I get all happy when I find this thread, try to go to Logitech.com ... AND THE FRIGGIN' SITE IS DOWN !!!!! AAHHHHHHH !!!!!
Thanx for the help though guys :-)

freckmoto
01-01-01, 04:26 PM
I saw that too http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif

Freckmoto

Omnipressive
01-01-01, 06:36 PM
gigabyte..

one thing.. it is probably just your mouse sensitivity.

The Optical mouse has nothing over wheelmice, except convenience of not having to clean the thing.

Adjust your sensitivity in whatever game, to be faster, or slower... See what you like.

TIP: If you like to use accurate weapons, IE, Sniper, Railguns, etc, go with a low sensitivity...

------------------
-mAtt
http://www.omnipressive.bizland.com/logo2.gif

freckmoto
01-01-01, 07:25 PM
Omni, didn't gig say he did really well after getting the new logitech?? I am thinking about getting one to replace my cordless mouse.

Freckmoto

colour
01-01-01, 07:53 PM
man, i havent been able to dl from logitech for a few days now. noone else having trouble?

------------------
Ignorance is the night of the mind, a night without a moon or the stars...

cobra25
01-02-01, 01:37 AM
got the same mouse and I can only say one thing

I WISH I NEVER BOUGHT THE ****** THING

it messes up my windows and this a problem a lot of people have, so i'm back to my plain old mouse with ball

ssjDoh
01-02-01, 12:03 PM
colour and cobra25, if you leave your e-mail addy, I'll give you guys the patch.

Loch-nar
01-02-01, 03:15 PM
i use my msft intellimouse explorer with lots of fps (NOLF, sof, hl) and have had no problems even when picking it up and moving it...very smooth and precise...

freckmoto
01-02-01, 04:47 PM
Doh, don't you have the mouseman wheel optical?? I am interested in getting it (I have the cordless mousman wheel now). How does it work for you? Do you know if it works with Win2k??

Freckmoto

------------------
Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 600 @ 1000mhz
OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
256mb PC133 Infineon 222
10 gig
TNT2
Aureal Vortex 2

ssjDoh
01-02-01, 04:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by freckmoto:
Doh, don't you have the mouseman wheel optical?? I am interested in getting it (I have the cordless mousman wheel now). How does it work for you? Do you know if it works with Win2k??

Freckmoto

</font>

Yes, I have that mouse. I love it...just needed that reg hack to get the wheel to play games on. I'm pretty sure it works for win2k..there's win2k drivers.