PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a P3 800EB?

glc1
12-21-00, 12:16 PM
I've always preferred Asus over Abit -- especially lately -- and my dedicated server has an Asus CUSL2.

cC0 stepping? Is that better than the cB0 stepping?

Brent
12-21-00, 12:21 PM
yes cC0 is better then cB0, it's the latest stepping

I like Abit a lot

but I'm concerned about the i815E chipset, are the mem bandwith speeds fast and ?

i'm just concerned about performance on that chipset, i'm a tried and true BX guy, hehe

but for a workstation/internet pc that will be my business type work pc will this chipset be ok

I plan on getting a G450 and doing a dual monitor dealy also, running Win2k Pro

------------------
Striking Fear in the Heart of Newbies Because I am BRENT JUSTICE: Man of Action Defender of Good and Destroyer of Evil

My site www.coremeltdown.com (http://www.coremeltdown.com)

Gyga-Bite
12-21-00, 12:24 PM
That board sux a$$ on games, mem bandwidth, fps, etc. But it's stable so it should be sufficient for your purposes.

Oh, and go ASUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glc1
12-21-00, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Gyga-Bite:
That board sux a$$ on games, mem bandwidth, fps, etc. But it's stable so it should be sufficient for your purposes.That's not true. i815e motherboards, at least the ones from Abit and Asus, are on par -- both performance-wise and stability-wise -- w/BX boards.

Brent
12-21-00, 12:33 PM
yeah keep in mind this won't be my gaming machine, just my workstation, i have a seperate gaming machine

this will be a new machine i'm buidling soley for the purpose of doing office/business type work

and I like Abit!

but i'll check up on the cusl2, the Abit SA6R is new though I think you should really give it a look it has some nice features, Two ATA/100 ide connectors, and then two more ATA/100 RAID connectors http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif SoftmenuIII FSB in 1Mhz increments yaddda yadda

Brent
12-21-00, 12:34 PM
The SA6R: http://www.abit-usa.com/english/product/motherboards/sa6r.htm

Ok I looked at the CUSL2 it only has two ata/100 connectors, the Abit one has 4 on board, i need the one with more cause I'm going to have a DVDROM, CDROM, CDRW and Two Hard Drives and maybe more and I like to have one drive on one cable, i hate making slaves on the same cable.....

thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 12-21-2000).]

jdblitz
12-21-00, 12:51 PM
wow, sounds nice, I was actually looking into that board for me. if you decide to go that route, think you could test the board up to 143fsb? heheheh I am hoping to run my 700e @ 143 for 1GHZ. anyway, I think its a good lookin board but I havent bought it yet. let me know how it performs!

Crimson
12-21-00, 02:09 PM
Brent-Asus has a new version of the CUSL-M, which has the 815i but not the graphics on it...
might check it out
gtg
http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Brent
12-21-00, 02:13 PM
815i? I've never heard of that one

i'll have to check it out

nightowl
12-21-00, 02:16 PM
ya thats a very nice board......i got the original abit BE6 and i love that board accept the built in audio....the only problem with it is that is a very large MB......going to need a server case or a very deep case....i have the problem that my HP burner 7200+ (large drive) will hit the floppy disk connector, however my dvd doesn't cause is a much smaller drive

------------------
"DUDE where is my car"
"where is your car, dude"

"aaaaaaaannnnnnndddddddd tttttthhhhhhheennnnn........"
"NO AND THEN!!!!!!!!!"

Brent
12-21-00, 02:27 PM
i looked at the cusl2-m it's just a Micro ATX version of the CUSL2 it still uses the i815E chipset...

so far I'm still liking the Abit SA6R better...

glc1
12-21-00, 02:31 PM
The CUSL2-M conforms to the Micro ATX form factor.

Crimson, your referring to the CUSL2-C, which is the exact same board as the CUSL2, except it doesn't have onboard video.

smidley
12-21-00, 03:46 PM
I have and Asus 440BX board and it is the toughest thing on the planet! Asus can rescue any system in need. ASUS 4 LIFE!!!

------------------
you'll give smidley the same look a cow gives to an oncoming train.

Crimson
12-21-00, 07:09 PM
Brent-my ride showed up right as i started that last post, I was a little off on details. Its the CUSL-C that im talking about, heres the little tid bit from asus's page

"Taipei, Taiwan, November 13, 2000 - World leading technology solution manufacturer ASUSŪ, today announced a new motherboard based on the latest IntelŪ 815EP chipset, the ASUS CUSL2-C. The ASUSŪ CUSL2-C leverages the same performance, reliability, and innovative features of the IntelŪ 815E chipset, while offering flexibility and lowering costs without the integrated graphics engine. The introduction of the ASUSŪ CUSL2-C complements the full range of award-winning ASUSŪ IntelŪ PentiumŪ III/CeleronTM solutions.

The new ASUSŪ CUSL2-C is the ideal solution for the power users who prefer to choose their own graphics cards. The exclusion of an integrated engine allows users to implement the graphics engine of their choice without incurring the added cost of a redundant graphics engine. Based on the same architecture as the IntelŪ 815E chipset, this IntelŪ 815EP based motherboard has similar features such as AGP4X, PC133 SDRAM support, ATA-100, optional integrated 6-channel surround audio and flexible 133/100/66MHz front-side-bus. The ASUSŪ CUSL2-C is extremely scalable with the inclusion of 6 PCI expansion slots, 4 USB ports as well as 1 CNR (Communications and Network Riser) slot."

I think thats a solid board if ya ask me...

Brent
12-21-00, 07:12 PM
The Abit SA6R has more features though....

It has 4 on board ATA/100 connectors, two of which are RAID capable, none of the CUSL2's have that...

Brent
12-21-00, 11:15 PM
I got a hold of one and come to find out it's CC0 stepping too I think, 1.7v

Well since these run at 133FSB just to hit 800 what's the potential at overclocking?

I'm thinking about sticking this CPU into a new board that is going to become my Workstation that I do all my business type stuff on, Internet/Website related stuff only, NOT my gaming machine. And I was thinking getting an Abit SA6R which is an i815e board, the specs are pretty nice on it actually, ATA/100 Raid yadda yadda yadda

What you think?

------------------
Striking Fear in the Heart of Newbies Because I am BRENT JUSTICE: Man of Action Defender of Good and Destroyer of Evil

HongKongPolice
12-22-00, 03:34 AM
Hmmm since your CPU is alread 133FSB (why the hell did you buy it?!?) overclocking will be harder unless you get really nice ram, but OCZ store is selling PC160 ram for like 99bux so itz pretty cheap.

If I were you, i'll get the Abit BX133 RAID + a GeForce2 MX cuz when you combine the price, its not much more than the Abit SA6R which has built in everything (All bullsh.it compenents). With the MX you can get some pretty good FPS.

The SA6R is worse than the Abit BX133 RAID in terms of preformance: http://209.197.112.67/mainboard/solano/abit-sa6r.shtml

Stablility wise it might be better cuz of the 1/2 AGP divider while the BX only has a 2/3 divider. You won't have to worry much bout the overclocked BX AGP port if you get a GeForce card cuz almost all of them can run on an overclocked AGP @ 100Mhz+.

the new CO stepping kix ass big time when it comes to overclocking, its just that the 133FSB will limit it http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif Even @ 150MhzFSB, you'll only be running @ 900Mhz, but i'm sure the chip can go at least 1Ghz no probz.

------------------
------------------
Abit BX133 RAID
P3 550E @ 831Mhz w/ watercooling
320MB Infineon/Mosel Vitalic PC100/PC133 @ 151Mhz CAS222
Voodoo3 2000 PCI @ 192Mhz
Quantum KX 13gig
Fujitsu 20gig
SoundBlaster AWE64/Live Value

glc1
12-22-00, 10:07 AM
Since he's going to install it in a workstation, I doubt he's going to o'clock.

Brent
12-22-00, 10:41 AM
Tigger, I didn't buy the CPU, I said I got 'a hold of one' http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif And I didn't have an option to get what i wanted, this was all there was outta the batch that i 'got a hold of'

But since I got it I might as well use it now, and the computer it's going in WILL NOT be my gaming machine, so gaming is of no importance on this "Workstation" computer, it will simply be for all my Internet/Website work and Business type Applications. No 3D Gaming.

3D Gaming is reserved for my Thunderbird DDR system i'll be setting up hopefully in Janaury or Feb. for now I have a pretty decent gaming machine already, P3 600E @ 800 Voodoo5 5500 etc.. bla bla PC133 @ 2-2-2 yadda yadda

So this new 800EB i got needs a mobo, I'm thinking the SA6R will be good for the job, no?

But yes since I'm at it I WILL experiment with overclocking and if I can get it at a stable speed higher then what it already is then I'll leave it at that higher speed of course...

so I'll play with it, but overclocking isn't of paramount, stability and features is though...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 12-22-2000).]

HongKongPolice
12-22-00, 10:48 AM
Like I said before, even if it won't be a gamming rig, the BX133 + GeForce2 MX will only cost a bit more than the SA6R. Even if you're not gonna play any 3D gamez on it, the MX will be better @ 2D compared to the SA6R's intergrated video crap.

Read the review of the SA6R, the BX133 beats it. + theres a program called North Bridge tune for the BX chipset that can tweak the memory settings even more. @ 150Mhz CAS222 i get 622MB/sec memory bench in SiSandra.

------------------
------------------
Abit BX133 RAID
P3 550E @ 831Mhz w/ watercooling
320MB Infineon/Mosel Vitalic PC100/PC133 @ 151Mhz CAS222
Voodoo3 2000 PCI @ 192Mhz
Quantum KX 13gig
Fujitsu 20gig
SoundBlaster AWE64/Live Value

glc1
12-22-00, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut:
Read the review of the SA6R, the BX133 beats it.That's b/c the AGP bus is o'clocked when a 133 FSB CPU is used, and the margin is small.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-22-2000).]

Brent
12-22-00, 12:10 PM
Tigger Read my posts above

I stated I was going to get a Matrox G450 (Dual Head) cause I'm gonna dual monitor...

so i don't think i'll have a problem with 2D http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif

so far the SA6R still looks like a better choice IMO, no?

glc1
12-22-00, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Brent:
so far the SA6R still looks like a better choice IMO, no?Yes, in your scenario.