PDA

View Full Version : 2gigahertz barrier

fastspaz
12-21-00, 02:32 AM
when do you think we will hit 2 gigahertz and above? What about 5 and 10? End of next year for the 2 and maybe 3-6 years for the 5 and 10, what do you all think? just wondering. what is going to be the next best thing for cpu speeds?

[This message has been edited by fastspaz (edited 12-21-2000).]

laithmeister
12-21-00, 03:18 AM
As long as there is 2 or more companies competing in the CPU market will we reach the 2 and above GHz area. Remember it took the Athlon to get Intel to move its fat ass and make faster better cpu's and still keep playing backup. God bless AMD I say and I hope they remain alive and well for the next 50 years http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/redface.gif) Thats my life expectency http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

John
12-21-00, 04:40 AM
Give it half a year to a year. We are already at 1.4. some guy already broke the 2ghz by overclocking.

Game0rz
12-21-00, 02:35 PM
well, as lots are just starting to learn now, is that mhz arent really that important.
a 1.4 gig intel is running around the same speed as a 1.2 gig athalon.
so it really doesnt matter. but when we keep improving technology thats normally always good.

HongKongPolice
12-22-00, 03:41 AM
Intel released to the press stating that they can make 10Ghz chips by the year 2005.
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/intel_30nm_transistor/

I think we're gonna see chips faster than 10Ghz by 2005 cuz as you know, Technology grows expenentially.

------------------
------------------
Abit BX133 RAID
P3 550E @ 831Mhz w/ watercooling
320MB Infineon/Mosel Vitalic PC100/PC133 @ 151Mhz CAS222
Voodoo3 2000 PCI @ 192Mhz
Quantum KX 13gig
Fujitsu 20gig
SoundBlaster AWE64/Live Value

jdblitz
12-29-00, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Game0rz:
well, as lots are just starting to learn now, is that mhz arent really that important.
a 1.4 gig intel is running around the same speed as a 1.2 gig athalon.
so it really doesnt matter. but when we keep improving technology thats normally always good.

really? mind posting your sisoft sandra results? and your screenshots of q3 fps and ut fps on both machines? I mean of course with an iron clad statement like that, you have run those on both machines to make sure right?

[This message has been edited by jdblitz (edited 12-29-2000).]

glc1
12-29-00, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ssjDoh:
The P4 kills any Athlon system in fps in Q3A.
That's b/c Q3A is heavily optimized for Intel CPUs.

ssjDoh
12-29-00, 06:16 PM
That's why I also stated taht non-SSE proggies are faster on a T-bird. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

ssjDoh
12-29-00, 11:55 PM
The P4 kills any Athlon system in fps in Q3A.

*source: MaximumPC mag Jan issue

Q3A 640x480 (on GF2 Ultra)
P4 1.5GHz : 209.5fps
AMD 1.2 DDR : 175.4fps

The T-bird does beat the P4 in SYSmark 2000 Overal Score
P4: 199
AMD: 236

And all other non-SSE programs, the T-bird is faster

monty
01-08-01, 02:14 AM
Even Photoshop, a highly SSE-optimised program, runs faster on an Athlon T-Bird!

speedie
01-08-01, 02:51 AM
can't forget that the P4 they're testing is 300mhz faster than the T-Bird....

i can't wait til AMD kills Intel.
now all we need is a company to compete with micro****

jdblitz
01-08-01, 10:22 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by speedie:
can't forget that the P4 they're testing is 300mhz faster than the T-Bird....

i can't wait til AMD kills Intel.
now all we need is a company to compete with micro****</font>

LoL

If it wasn't for MS you wouldn't see near the development we have now, computers have jumped exponentially in the last 5-10 years! before windows, how quickly did computers move? there was no "need" or use for "supercomputers" by the general public. MS and Intel have done wonders not only for us but our economy both directly AND indirectly by launching tech stocks and creating jobs!

Everyone is so quick to jump on the "anti" bandwagon, that they forget who the pioneers were!

Also, in this economy, if there were any competitors worth their salt, they would be out on the market(ie AMD congrats to them for a good product) look, cyrix is still trying to crank out processors but they
just don't even compare to the durons or celerons. They are just cheap and thats why you don't hear of them. Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox now and put on my asbestos suit kuz im gonna get flamed to hell for this post!

Zmoney
01-08-01, 10:54 AM
accordint to TechTv it takes about 3-4 years to get a processor out..so think about it...in 1996-97 the p4 1.4 gig cpu waz in delovepment...what waz the fastes cpu then...400??? if that....so now they are designing the cpu that wont even be out till 2003-04....good times ahead..
also i forget the name of teh compant that is making the new corosu chip...supposidly low power cpu for labtops..if this chip proves its worth then intell will be forced to REALLY get off its ass and move.

Zmoney
01-08-01, 12:10 PM
no its not cyrix....is some outher company...altho cyrix has a low power cpu out..its not the coruso

Zmoney
01-08-01, 01:16 PM
by the way word of mouth said that the new cyrix will be abel to run off a frekin D batery

jdblitz
01-08-01, 02:10 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zmoney:
by the way word of mouth said that the new cyrix will be abel to run off a frekin D batery</font>

LoL yeah thats funny, maybe cyrix and wal-mart have a deal goin, BUY ONE CYRIX PROCESSOR AND GET 2 D BATTERIES FREE! (participating wal-mart stores only!)

speedie
01-08-01, 03:35 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdblitz:
LoL yeah thats funny, maybe cyrix and wal-mart have a deal goin, BUY ONE CYRIX PROCESSOR AND GET 2 D BATTERIES FREE! (participating wal-mart stores only!)</font>

lol....got love those blue light specials...

Killa B
01-08-01, 05:36 PM
Transmeta has the Crusoes, Via makes the Cyrix/Joshua cpu's

Athlon500@750
01-08-01, 10:33 PM
The curuso(spelling) chip is being made by VIA technologies, they bought out Cyrix, but tis still under the cyrix name.

jdblitz
01-08-01, 11:11 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zmoney:
accordint to TechTv it takes about 3-4 years to get a processor out..so think about it...in 1996-97 the p4 1.4 gig cpu waz in delovepment...what waz the fastes cpu then...400??? if that....so now they are designing the cpu that wont even be out till 2003-04....good times ahead..
also i forget the name of teh compant that is making the new corosu chip...supposidly low power cpu for labtops..if this chip proves its worth then intell will be forced to REALLY get off its ass and move.</font>

youre thinking of the new cyrix chip that a .13micron die and uses approxamately 1/2 the power that a current p3 uses. however, the processor tested to only be 3/4 the strength of the p3 mobile processor. however, it did have significantly longer battery times. I can't find the article, but it was on like cnet or zdnet they compared the new cyrix chips vs the cele, duron and p3 mobile processors. I think there was a duron, I dunno tho.... I will continue to look for the article..

Hell_Yes
01-08-01, 11:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdblitz:
LoL

If it wasn't for MS you wouldn't see near the development we have now, computers have jumped exponentially in the last 5-10 years! before windows, how quickly did computers move? there was no "need" or use for "supercomputers" by the general public. MS and Intel have done wonders not only for us but our economy both directly AND indirectly by launching tech stocks and creating jobs!

Everyone is so quick to jump on the "anti" bandwagon, that they forget who the pioneers were!

Also, in this economy, if there were any competitors worth their salt, they would be out on the market(ie AMD congrats to them for a good product) look, cyrix is still trying to crank out processors but they
just don't even compare to the durons or celerons. They are just cheap and thats why you don't hear of them. Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox now and put on my asbestos suit kuz im gonna get flamed to hell for this post!</font>

No flames.

Microsoft is like Standard Oil. Bill Gates used 800 pound gorilla tactics to destroy competing and non-competing companies. Since we already know that AMD's competition with Intel has given us better processors, what would you say of the microsoft monopoly.
It wasn't MS who solely ushered in the computer. When other companies started producing their own boards, anyone could build a PC...

shant,
david

Juggernaut
01-09-01, 03:05 PM
jdblitz, I agree with your statements about how MS and Intel have brought more computers to the average person, but how can you say that MS were pioneers when they stole the whole idea off of Apple?

Zmoney
01-09-01, 03:42 PM
i finally found the name of the company that will be making the curuso its transmeta....not cyrix..

velvta
01-10-01, 02:27 AM
About 8 months ago peobably, I was watching the world news with Peter Jennings, and the top story for that day was that scientists made a computer chip the size of an atom. They were showing all these diagrams and movies of how the chip will end up revolutionizing technology, and he even went to say that this chip was about, well, don't quote me, but I know my jaw dropped when I heard this, it was some craaaazy number, I'm going to be modest about it and say 100 million times faster that computers are today.

What I'm wondering, is where the heck is this technology now? why do you only hear about stuff this important for 5 minutes, and that's it?

And yes, this is true. I'm sure if you managed to search hard somewhere on the net for it, you WILL find it. Peter Jennings doesn't like.

Merc
01-10-01, 07:06 PM
I have always wondered what com bill gates have you think he is an Intel Boy or an AMD Man?

freckmoto
01-10-01, 07:27 PM
Clarification on the crusoe. It is made by Transmetta, the company which is also owned in part my Linus Torvalds, the creator of linux. Cyrix may have something named similarly, but Transmetta makes the crusoe.

Freckmoto

PS, See my thread about the guy at athlonoc who has his t-bird 750 at 1.3 ghz. You AMD lovers will like it. I'll find the title later.