PDA

View Full Version : Printer recommendations?

Square Duck
04-27-00, 09:05 PM
Greetings all!

I'm about to go drop a couple of bucks on a printer, and it seems everywhere I go I get a different recommendation.

It's for personal use at home, so I figured I go with a desk/bubble jet colour printer. I want picture quality, as eventually I'll want to print out some photo quality sheets. Speed is ranking high, but quality (in both the product and the printing) is 1st priority. Suggestions?

iknowhardware
04-28-00, 08:18 AM
You cannot go wrong with Epson, Cannon or HP. Epson has been shelving reasonable price with great performance.

I personally use HPLaserJet for documents and a Canon BJ620 for color prints. This is something like personal preferences. If you buy it from National stores, they might allow you to take it home and try it out.

OAG
04-28-00, 11:35 AM
I personally like the HP but Canon BJ5000 or 6000 make a better pricing.

YYZ
04-30-00, 10:42 PM
An HP DeskJet is the only way to go. I work for a major PC retailer here in Canada and it is an accepted fact that HP makes the most reliable, quiet printers on the market. They'll outlast most any other brand of printer for about the same money.

Good values are found in the 800 and 900 series inkjets. They offer laser-sharp text and photo-quality output without requiring special inks or cartridges. Many new models feature 1200 x 2400 dpi output on photo paper. At that resolution, you'll have a hard time distinguishing the inket copy from a photlab copy!

I have owned two Canon printers and two HP printers. Both Canons are collecting mothballs somewhere but I use both HPs regularly and wouldn't give them up except for one of the aforementioned models. Epson offers great colour, so-so black and not so good reliability.

When you shop, ask to see plain paper samples from each machine. You won't see the best output from each printer, but you'll see what it offers on a day-to-day basis. Also, many printers look great on premium paper but suck using plain paper. This will help you weed out the mediocre ones. HPs are great even on plain paper, by the way.

Good luck!

Fixxer
04-30-00, 11:06 PM
I'd like to get the Imac version of one of the Epson printers (I think its made by Epson.. can't remember the model number). Its USB so I'm pretty sure it'll work with a PC, just want something other then grey or whatever.