PDA

View Full Version : Memory Upgrade

Ahoyhoy
12-18-00, 06:23 PM
Right now my DELL has a PIII 600mhz, 128mb, 30 gig HD, 256k. I was reading that on DELL's website that increasing your RAM beyond 64mb doesn't do any good. This is the article below

"There is a point of diminishing returns where adding more memory may not enhance your system's performance. This point is determined by the "cacheable limit" of your system. Most Pentium systems have either 256K cache or 512K cache. With a 256K cache, upgrading beyond 64 MB is not usually beneficial. With a 512K cache, the limit moves up to 128 MB."

So is this true? I want to increase my computer's speed and I thought RAM would do it. Does anybody else have any ideas to upgrade the parts on my computer to increase the speed? (under $100) Ahoyhoy

bug
12-18-00, 06:28 PM
go for more RAM, the more, the better

i have heard the BX chipset can cache 512MB RAM

freckmoto
12-18-00, 06:33 PM
IMHO, thats bull. For games and intense apps, 256 is definitely worth wile. Buy your new RAM from http://ocz.safeshopper.com . All of it is fabulous http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gifIf you plan on doing really high overclocking, get the PC170 No joke, if your bios can handle it, so can the RAM. Otherwise, the select should do fine. I have the select, and I am running it PC140 CAS 222 http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Freckmoto

glc1
12-18-00, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Ahoyhoy:
I was reading that on DELL's website that increasing your RAM beyond 64mb doesn't do any good. Not true--there is generally a big performance increase when going from 128 to 256, and an even bigger performance increase when going from 64 to 128. If all you do is game, 128 will suffice. If you do a lot of multitasking, I recommend going w/256. NOTE: You may have problems getting third party RAM to work w/your existing RAM b/c Dell doesn't exactly use quality and brand name parts.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-18-2000).]

Ahoyhoy
12-18-00, 06:54 PM
can I combine different brand RAM into the same computer? Also, how do I find out if my computer uses 133 or 100mhz ram?

glc1
12-18-00, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Ahoyhoy:
can I combine different brand RAM into the same computer? That depends on the RAM. Some RAM can be mixed and matched, other RAM can't/don't like to be.

Originally posted by :
Also, how do I find out if my computer uses 133 or 100mhz ram?Ask Dell.

Gyga-Bite
12-19-00, 01:17 AM
Dell doesn't use quality and name brand parts? My ram is Samsung, thats not quality enough for you??? Dont listen to these guys.

Oh and for gaming, 128MB is fine as far as ram goes, dont waste your money.

[This message has been edited by Gyga-Bite (edited 12-19-2000).]

glc1
12-19-00, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Gyga-Bite:
Dell doesn't use quality and name brand parts? My ram is Samsung, thats not quality enough for you??? Dont listen to these guys.

Oh and for gaming, 128MB is fine as far as ram goes, dont waste your money.

[This message has been edited by Gyga-Bite (edited 12-19-2000).]No, as a matter of fact, Dell isn't known for their quality parts, and I assure you, not all of their systems contain Samsung RAM. They use a lot of generic and OEM parts, as do all of the big name PC manufacturers--that's one of their profit producing factors. Why do you think people custom build PCs or seek out companies who custom build PCs? Dell's ways may suffice for you, however, NOT everyone knows better/cares/finds Dell appealing.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 12-19-2000).]