PDA

View Full Version : video display garbled at shut down

gaezer
04-25-00, 07:25 PM
i've seen this problem on other boards but i can't find the answer to it. i have an s3 virge pci video card installed. when i shut down my computer the display gets garbled and i'm unable to read the "it's ok to shutdown message". however the display is fine when i shut down in safe mode. i thought i read about a fix some where but try as i may i can't find it. any ideas?
thanks,
gaezer

LoachDuke
04-26-00, 01:54 PM
Hey gaezer,

Those S3 cards are nothing but trouble. The only thing I can suggest is that you get the latest drivers and DX for your computer. If the new drivers don't work, try an older rev driver.

gaezer
04-27-00, 08:02 AM
LoachDuke,
you are a god thanks for the fix, actually the fix was two fold the directx fixed the ok to shut down message and then i also had a picture on my desk top the was bad so now all is well thanks again man
gaezer

Originally posted by LoachDuke:
Hey gaezer,

Those S3 cards are nothing but trouble. The only thing I can suggest is that you get the latest drivers and DX for your computer. If the new drivers don't work, try an older rev driver.

gaezer
04-27-00, 08:20 AM
by the way what does the directx do? i suppose it's not that important but i just have to know. some day i may be able to help some one and i could use the info. besides i've got three machines to maintain (wifes, son's and mine)and i can use all the info i can get.
thanks again
gaezer

Coppermine
04-30-00, 06:10 PM
Direct X was designed to make it easier for programmers to do games or basically for software to interact with the hardware much more easier. While at first it sucked its doing much better now.

LoachDuke
05-02-00, 01:38 PM
Hey Coppermine,

Oh boy, did it ever suck. Man. I remember buying games (yeah, buying them hehe) when DX3 was current. Total BS crashy, bashy sh***y, maddening, arghhhh.

LikeAGlove
05-02-00, 04:53 PM
Duke is a god, eh? LOL
nice! - simple information fixes frustrating problem. i had the same problem 2 months back, and just said F_CK it and installed win2k.

i, too, remember the days of DX3. what a mess. and we actually were paying for those games (hehehe)

cheers,
glove

------------------

http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/profiles/teams/logos/tor.gif
... the Devils can go to hell... pun intended :)