PDA

View Full Version : Which is better, Athlon or Pentium

glears
04-24-00, 11:11 PM
I'm about to upgrade my pc and I need some advice. Which is the better, PIII/600Mhz or AMD K7 700Mhz. What's the big difference aside from the name and manufacturer.

Brent
04-25-00, 03:51 PM
Is it the P3 or P3E? If it's a Cu-Mine go for it. Don't go with the Athlon

Right now BX based mobos are Much more stable and faster and compatible than any Athlon mobo.

And with the Cu-Mine chip you can overclock to some nice speeds, 800Mhz + if the rest of your hardware is good.

------------------
a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster
Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com (http://www.coremeltdown.com)

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net

glears
04-25-00, 04:26 PM
It's actually a Pentium III 600EB and Motherboard w/133MHz FSB. Is EB any good. What does EB stand for.

[This message has been edited by glears (edited 04-25-2000).]

Brent
04-25-00, 07:09 PM
The "E" means that it IS a Coppermine, and the "B" means it runs at 133FSB by default

Go With this Combo!!!!!!

------------------
a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster
Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com (http://www.coremeltdown.com)

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net

glears
04-26-00, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback Brent. I will go with the pIII 600eb.

Fixxer
04-26-00, 02:31 PM
Personally I'd wait about a month or 2 until AMD's latest crop of chips/mobo's come out. The compatibilty issue is outdated at best, I haven't heard of any such problems with the newer VIA KX133 chipset. I can't wait to see the new boards based on the AMD760 and AMD770 DDR chipset.. *drool*

Fixxer
04-26-00, 02:33 PM
One more thing.. With the P3 600EB you won't be able to o/c it at all hardly. You should have went with a 600E instead.

Battleship
04-26-00, 04:53 PM
I really think you would be happy with either of them. I agree with Fixxer that the probs with compatability are very exagerated and were quickly resolved with Bios updates almost half a year ago now. Having said all that I think I would still go with the new P3's with that 133 Mhz bus but you cant go wrong here. Athlon will give you performance on par with the P3's for a little less money.

Cupcake
04-28-00, 02:03 PM
I don't know guys, I have been hearing that intel rushed out there higher MHz chips Copermine included and they have been having some bug issues. I am a Intel hater. Jack up your prices for the little guy until you get a bit of compitition and OH NO! rush them out the door!! I have always been a AMD man (execpt for my P 133) I have a K6-2 266 now and I love it. and Im looking to get a Athlon soon.

All that said, I think you should go for the cheaper chip cuz when you get down to it. Price is likly the only dif. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

smartegyptian
04-28-00, 05:44 PM
HERE (http://www.intel.com)

Michfan
04-29-00, 11:40 PM
GO with the ATHLON. At any clock speed it is faster then the intel, and ive heard from freinds its just a lot better.

glears
04-30-00, 02:46 AM
Just wondering, is there any software or hardware compatibility problems with the athlon K7 chip? I heard a few friend tell me that it might be an issue and you can't go wrong with pentium.

Jagators
04-30-00, 03:43 AM
glears:

I've got a Abit KA7 MB with a Athlon 750 and it's Swweeeeeeeeet.. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jagators (edited 04-30-2000).]

John
04-30-00, 06:47 PM
I am running an Athlon 700, as is Philip. The new Speedguide server is going to have an newer Athlon as well...

Fixxer
04-30-00, 10:12 PM
GO with the ATHLON. At any clock speed it is faster then the intel, and ive heard from freinds its just a lot better.

Thats not really true anymore.. The older Katmia version was slower then an Athlon but with the new coppermine version its about the same speed. This changes above 900mhz tho because the Athlon is slowed by its cache divider giving the coppermine the edge in some cases. I want an Athlon but I'm not one of those "Intel sucks, AMD rules" kinda people, I'd rather have the best performance then the more acceptable name.

monty
05-06-00, 10:39 PM
What are your needs? If you are heavy into Photoshop, then go with the PIII (it's optimized for SSE). If you're into games, go with the Athlon and an Asus K7V motherboard (most new games are optimized for the enhanced 3dNow). If you want the most for the price, go with the Athlon.

jliu
05-07-00, 01:52 AM
athlon without a dought...........clock for clock.....it will beat any p3......

Battleship
05-07-00, 10:38 AM
Jliu:
Cmon man, I'm not partial to either one,I will buy whatever one my budget allows but how can you say the Athlon beats any P3 clock for clock. They dont, in fact the new P3's working at 133Mhz bus more than beat the Athlons clock for clock. A P3 clocked at 733 will beat a Athlon clocked at 800. The speed of the L2 cache of the Athlon is becoming a limiting factor.

LoachDuke
05-08-00, 08:22 AM
Hey everyone,

I still use an AMD K6-2-400 with lots of ram an qualtity vid/sound cards. It is perfect for 99.9% of the games out there today. The best part is that I picked up that CPU for under $100 Canadian, and it fits in my Socket 7 motherboard. Lots of pop for little dough! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif For all my buds who paid through the nose for that P3, hah! They had to get new cases, motherboards, and processors. I bet they paid upwards of $700 for their "P3's". Hehe.
Personally I always root for the little guy, or the "underdog". AMD seems to have upset Intel with the quality, longevity, and the price of their CPU's. AMD has set a new standard in the gaming arena with it's 3Dnow technology. Developers like it, programmers like it, and that translates to gamers with software featuring more polygons, colors and resolution options.
It's a good bet that if we support them, they will continue to grow and supply the gamers a more powerfull and cheaper alternative to Intel.

Battleship
05-08-00, 02:22 PM
Another alternative should be pointed out. The Celeron 2's. They will be out en mass real soon for real cheap. These chips can be overclocked big time if you beleive what sites like firingsquad and annandtech had to say about them. They might not give you quite the same performance as the P3's but their cost and overclockability push them to the top of the list for the savvy and price budget minded consumer. I've had a 433 Celeron oc'd to 541 for about a year now and I'm probably gonna get a 566 or 600 when they come out.
Not trying to push anyone in one direction I'm just giving another alternative. And who wouldnt want to get 950 Mhz of a chip they paid 200 bucks for.

glears
05-08-00, 05:27 PM
Well up until today I was going to buy the K7-700 Athlon. But here's a scary thing. Look at this page everyone. http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/athlon/athlon.htm

John
05-08-00, 06:46 PM
Just gotta make sure you buy from a reliable source.

Fixxer
05-08-00, 06:57 PM
Thats not scary.. If you buy from a little no name start up on the net then don't be suprised if you get something other then you ordered. Buy from big name companies or ones who have a good rep.

glears
05-14-00, 04:53 PM
Well, my pc is sitting in the store at the moment. I'm going with an Athlon 700Mhz w/Asus K7V Motherboard. 128MB PC-133 Ram, Stratus Mid tower with 300w power w/smartfan. I'll now tomorow how much it will kick.

downhill
05-14-00, 11:35 PM
Hummm...so you have never heard of remarked Intel chips? Happens all the time. You need to buy from dealers you can trust. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

glears
05-20-00, 12:45 AM
I've got my pc back and it kicks ass. The only thing is that they gave me a garbage case. But the speeds are ther.

martialcomp
05-21-00, 02:48 AM
I would have to say go with the Intel products. I love the Athlon, but, I am not sure that the motherboards for the Athlon are up to parr yet. I get customers trying to set up there new computers with stability problems right out of the box. Again, I do not feel this is the Athlon causing this, I think it is the platform (motherboard)itself.

richardc
05-21-00, 10:07 AM
Say Glears, now that you have your PC back,
what did you finally get and what, if you don't mind, did it cost in good old Canadian
loonies?

glears
05-21-00, 12:05 PM
Athlon 700Mhz 128MB Ram PC-133, Asus K7V motherboard, Vertex case300watts power sup. w/smartfan. I gave them a pentium mmx200mhz, motherboard, 64MBRAm edo and case. In Canadian Loonies including taxes, $963.00.
P.S. The case is crap. You can warp it with just a tad of force.

richardc
05-21-00, 01:14 PM
Thanks - guess I shall have to trade in my first-born male too.

Athlon500@750
05-21-00, 11:02 PM
glears, its good that you went Athlon, cause they are highly Overclockable, as you can see by my name I have a 500mhz running at 750mhz, I'll be soon getting a 700mhz water cooling it and clocking it to 1ghz. if your interested in overclocking the Athlon there is a oveclocking card you can get for about $60 that will alow you to redirect the resitor flow, with out any soldering, it attaches to the CPU on a connector on top of the proc(found only if you take off the cover) the card allows you to change the multiplier. now if you want to mess with the FSB, get the Abit Athlon mobo look at it here http://www.abit-usa.com/english/product/ka7.htm
its a sweet mobo, I'm getting one of these also, mabye I can rocket past 1ghz(that would be sweet)