PDA

View Full Version : Intel's Comeback.....

MiamiDSL
12-18-00, 06:11 AM
I'm guessing you all think intel will never make a comeback? Well... look at the pass, all it took for AMD to get ahead in the game was to make a few optimizations to their older athlon, (cache, system bus MHz ect....), but during all this time, intel was the king, just as AMD had problems with the original athlon, which was a new design, Intel is having problems with the original Pentium 4, which is also a new design. When they include DDR memory support, and software is optimized for all the new features (which is inevitable), the Pentium 4 will be recognized for its speed and potential. Until then, its not really smart to purchase a P4 just yet, but its also not logical to assume the P4 is a dead-end design.

HongKongPolice
12-18-00, 07:36 AM
What you talking about? the Classic Athlon had no problems what so ever. The P4 design has too many costs involved. You need a new Mobo, new ram, new case, and new power supply, so basically a new whole new computer. Also, it is rumored that Intel is gonna switch to a Socket478 design in the middle of next year or so, if that happens, the current Socket423 P4's will be obsolete already!

The P4 is designed for Marketing, not preformance. Therefore lots of newbies will fall into the trap and get ripped.

MiamiDSL
12-18-00, 03:34 PM
When I say problems I am reffering to the fact that the "classic" athlon was slower than intel's chip, and still would be if they never optimized it, there is no argument with that, no matter how u look at it they had to make the classic athlon better, to get ahead.

jdblitz
12-18-00, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by TigerUpperCut:
What you talking about? the Classic Athlon had no problems what so ever.

ROFL surely you jest!

When AMD broke out, very few of the hardware manufacturers had drivers out for it! it was a serious problem for us who worked on other peoples pcs a lot!

JD

[This message has been edited by jdblitz (edited 12-18-2000).]

Amro
12-19-00, 12:35 AM
classic athlon had compatibility issues PLUS the crappy cache implementation heh

laithmeister
12-19-00, 01:56 AM
The classic Athlon kicked ass when it 1st came out and it was not until Intel introduces the on Die L2 Cache P-III did intel regain some performance lead. But lets remember a very important fact Intel was having serious problem mass priducing there new on die L2 cache. Thats why after 1st refusing to carry AMD cpu's did gateway go the AMD way. Dell being Intel's bitch refused to sell Athlon machines, yet was loosing money waiting on intel to send them enough cpu's. Dell, IBM and HP bitched and complained alot to Intel to get its act together. Lets also not forget the 820chipset fiasco, and the Pentum 1.3Ghz recall. AMD on the otherhand surprised everyone on its ability to meet OEM's demands and the ability on the fly to convert to the Thunderbird line without any hickups. Now P4 is a piece of crap all that money to invest only for it (the entire machine MB inlcuded) to be absolete in 6 months. I will stick with the old P-III any day before I invest into a P4. AMD all the way baby they kept intel on the defensive and forced them to improve their cpu line up and lower prices. If it was not for the ATHLON we still be using Off the Die l2 cache and be around speed of 650mhz and be paying out of our ass's for it. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Amro
12-19-00, 11:48 PM
heh. you're right, but all i'm sayin is the only 'crappy' part about the p4 is it's rambus dependency..why go back to stinkin 60ns memory.. i dunno but the point is the p4 is powerful.. and there's not comparison to the normal athlon cause a)they're different generation chips and b)nothing takes advantage of the p4 quite yet. wait'll the k8 hammer comes out to compare somethin to the p4.. then we'll see. all i'm saying is it's a good piece of silicon either way - - i have a p3, and the only reason so is because i went w/ a celeron system at first, and didn't feel like shelling out moer cash for a new mobo when i upgraded. yes i want an athlon 1.2 w/ ddr but still.. this does all i need for now so oh well. p4? i wouldn't get it now.. maybe w/ the new sockets...later on.. but who knows. will see then i'm sure intel will add something or another to it.

glc1
12-20-00, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Amro:
classic athlon had compatibility issues PLUS the crappy cache implementation hehJust to add to this--all AMD systems have compatibility/stability issues, thanks to Via's chips. Hopefully the 760 chip from AMD will change this.

Originally posted by Amro:
but all i'm sayin is the only 'crappy' part about the p4 is it's rambus dependencyYour right, this alone will turn off a lot of consumers. However, this will change when Intel releases a DDR chip sometime next year. Unfortunately, what won't change is the new power supply -- and sometimes case -- that's required.

Hell_Yes
12-20-00, 10:39 AM
At the risk of sounding stupid....

Someone said earlier that we computer hobbiests are a niche market. We are the ones who scavenge parts from one system to make (or upgrade) our new ones. Most people just buy a system. If they can use the same peripherals they are happy. So what, if you can't use the same memory. Are you using the pc-66 SDRAM that was out a year or two ago? You are talking about buying DDR RAM anyway... Cases are cheap. Motherboards? You will need a new one anyway to take full advantage of the new processors... and why not ATA-100 and or RAID. You can still use the same graphic card (AGP that is http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif).
The way I see it, for the average Joe Blow, it doesn't matter. For us, it means having to improve a little bit more.

shant,
david

jdblitz
12-20-00, 10:43 AM
Agreed and well put my friend.
JD

glc1
12-20-00, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Hell_Yes:
At the risk of sounding stupid....

Someone said earlier that we computer hobbiests are a niche market. We are the ones who scavenge parts from one system to make (or upgrade) our new ones. Most people just buy a system. If they can use the same peripherals they are happy. So what, if you can't use the same memory. Are you using the pc-66 SDRAM that was out a year or two ago? You are talking about buying DDR RAM anyway... Cases are cheap. Motherboards? You will need a new one anyway to take full advantage of the new processors... and why not ATA-100 and or RAID. You can still use the same graphic card (AGP that is http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif).
The way I see it, for the average Joe Blow, it doesn't matter. For us, it means having to improve a little bit more.

shant,
davidI wasn't referring to hardware enthusiasts, but rather your every day consumer, who is not going to want to upgrade his motherboard, RAM, PS, and possibly case just so he can use a P4. I mentioned DDR motherboards in reply to Amro's statement about the cost of RDRAM. And DDR motherboards won't be out for a while.

Gyga-Bite
12-20-00, 11:36 AM
Actually most people outside of the hardware circle are too uninformed to even break down the cost of all these parts as a whole or individually. Most average people are like cows, they just eat the grass that's in front of their faces and dont complain.

Most people that buy from dell, gateway, micron, will just think "Oh an extra 700 bucks for this P4 system, must be more powerful than that P3 system. I'll take it!"

And that will be all she wrote for the majority of consumers buying OEM and retail level P4 systems.

glc1
12-20-00, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Gyga-Bite:
Actually most people outside of the hardware circle are too uninformed to even break down the cost of all these parts as a whole or individually. Most average people are like cows, they just eat the grass that's in front of their faces and dont complain.
That's why companies like Dell exist today.

fastspaz
12-23-00, 04:52 AM
My AMD Athlon 900mhz rules

MiamiDSL
12-23-00, 04:49 PM
My new dell came in and I just put it together today.
Its a p3 1 GHz w/ 128 PC133 and 128 PC100 RAM (256 MB running at both speeds) and a 64 MB DDR GTS GeForce2, and a 19 inch sony/dell trinitron monitor. I tell you, speed is everything.

Gyga-Bite
12-23-00, 05:14 PM
Isnt the monitor sweeeeeet! Did you get the P991 i think it is 17.9 inch viewable. Suweeeeet! I love mine, gonna be around for a long time.

glc1
12-25-00, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Gyga-Bite:
Isnt the monitor sweeeeeet! Did you get the P991 i think it is 17.9 inch viewable. Suweeeeet! I love mine, gonna be around for a long time.It can't touch my 22" Mitsubishi 2040u. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

freckmoto
12-25-00, 09:52 AM
How much was that mitsubishi?? I know I enjoy my 19 inch http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Freckmoto