PDA

View Full Version : SCSI OR IDE HARDRIVE ???

setiawan
04-20-00, 05:03 PM
I've been researching about which one is better, IDE drive or SCSI........, but so far I only found that the different between scsi and ide is that SCSI bus can hold more device than IDE. Speedwise, SCSI have interface speed of 160MB and now IDE only up to ATA66........ So far, i've been hearing from my friend that scsi by far the best interface, but the price different is also by far scsi is more expansive than IDE.
anybody here knows more about the different between scsi and scsi that make scsi seems to be more advance technology?? also in what scheme will be better to use SCSI or IDE if price is not a matter??

Thank you much =)))

tecnova
04-22-00, 10:00 AM
Hi,

SCSI will offload management from your processor. This will provide improved system performance. However if you use a SCSI card in windows 95, 98 the card will have to be managed and it will utilize system resources. SCSI was best suited in MAC's and Unix systems. With IDE ATA 66 I have seen test results where they had transfer speeds of about the same. Note that there are no 166 MBs SCSI drives out. IBM has announced that by the end of next year they will have 100GB IDE HDD for about $100.00. So for the HDD purpouse on a PC I would stick to IDE.

Fixxer
04-22-00, 03:46 PM
unless you want a 10k rpm hdd.. *drool*

Bandit
04-23-00, 01:08 AM
hey Fixxer don't u fly Flanker 2.0 ??

Fixxer
04-23-00, 01:17 AM
Flanker 2.0? nope, haven't played that before.. is it a flight sim or something?

LikeAGlove
04-25-00, 12:35 AM
scsi is definately the way to go. but it seems best to have a complete scsi system, as opposed to scsi and ide mixed together (though it can be made to work stable)

ATA66 is not the cat's meow. it's just telling you that the BURST speed can be upto 66MB/sec. this usually only lasts for .00x of a second, which means that average, sustained throughput is usually in the range of 1.5-3MB/sec at absolute best.

scsi will take up about 20% of the cpu processing load in comparision to IDE's share, which means that your computer will have more power at your disposal.

plus, the sustained throughput of scsi hdd's are 10mb/sec and on up (for the better cards and better drives put together).

the difference is best served by a comparison b/w my puter (ide) and my friend's (all scsi): my cdrom is a 36x (but usually reads at 12x and bursts to 24-30 from time to time). his is a 24x (which usually works at 18 or 24). see the difference.
(it's a bad example, but you get my point)

the only exception to the rule is the (sometimes) prohibitively high price for these components. you might be better off going along with Fixxer's drool (LOL)... the 10,000rpm drive. the higher the RPM, the faster the data transfer... there for a 7200rpm ide is much faster than a 5400rpm version (in random access windows mulitasking)

just my $0.02

cheers.

Brent
04-25-00, 04:56 PM
yoyo ATA/100 is 'round the corner

though yes it's only Burst speed

but me I gots a nice WD 7200RPM UDMA/66 w/2MB Cache Hard Drive, it's very fast =))

------------------
a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster
Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com (http://www.coremeltdown.com)

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net

Hell_Yes
04-26-00, 03:36 PM
I have both ATA66 (20 and 40 GIG maxtors 7200rpm) and SCSI-3 (9 gig 7200rpm 40MHZ wide on a 2940U2W)... I use my system for many many tasks.. The bruiser is video capture and editing. The Software I use to test the drives rates the ata66 drives at 6-8 meg/sec with a 500Meg test file (read and write) which is on par with my scsi drive. I was under the impression that ATA66 is an intelligent system hence the sustained added speed and lower CPu drag...
Anyway for the money I would go with the IDEs. Consider cost and that nifty little raid card put out by promise.... US$160 add to that two 20 gig (we'll talk small) 7200rpm for US$129 each gives you speed that will crush for about 440 (include shipping)... try that with SCSI.....
I've been a SCSI fan for years... IDE and RAID may have finally caught up...

peace
david

iknowhardware
04-27-00, 08:58 AM
SCSI are good for servers specially those that are hotpluggable. Advantage: depending on model...it's fast and allows read/write simultaneously. Allows 7 disk per controller. Disavantage: Expensive.

IDEs specially ATA/66 7200rpm are great for homeusers or gamers. It's fast enough. Advantage: Price, great reliability. Disadvantage: None. Well actually simultaneous read/write not possible, limits 2 drives per ide controller.

You could also go with FireWire technology.

I have both (not bragging).

LikeAGlove
05-02-00, 06:09 PM
david... jesus murphy!!!! you have a honking machine!!! ( DROOL) http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/cool.gif

guess i should go to medschool. hehehe.

cheers,
paul

------------------

http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/profiles/teams/logos/tor.gif
... the Devils can go to hell... pun intended http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by LikeAGlove (edited 05-04-2000).]

Hell_Yes
05-02-00, 10:22 PM
I have a PII-400 with 192Meg RAM.... I need the HD space and Rom-burner because of cable modem access and newsgroups... <snicker>.. I have a ton of hobbies. I typically work on more than one at a time (Practicing guitar and watching some tube while the computer compiles a video edit... and balancing a bowl of soup on my head... LOL)... I want to u/g to a GHz mobo as soon as someone tells me the best board/chip combo with pc150 memory...

BTW... I am an aesthetic dentist (boooooooo). I do all facets of dentistry, however I seem to excel in giving folk Hollywood smiles (And goths fangs....) I make a decent living. I am not rich by any stretch... Doctors and dentists are like any other occupation, the stars make the big bucks. IT people make the serious cash here!!

Anyway, I've grown to like udma66 for its cost effectiveness. You have to dump alot of cash into SCSI (160) in order to top an inexpensive IDE raid... Unless you are running a major server, I wouldn't see the point.

Firewire has its place, that being digital video... Since USB is part and parcel with all new mobos, it has become the new defacto standard for most peripherals. Firewire for drives is kind of like fiber-channel n'est-ce pas? A great idea, but not enough buyers to bring the cost below prohibitive!!

BTW... Paul, I do have an older 2940UW. Cheap, if your interested, let me know...

"Where ever your going, there you are." -BB
david

Hell_Yes
05-03-00, 10:21 PM
Zuffy,

All win 95/98 computers are multitasking. There are typically 6 to 12 background tasks occurring without running any apps.

The SCSI/IDE combo works well. THough apps do just fine on the IDEs, Virtual memory is greatly boosted on SCSI. I use a Yamaha cdrw on scsi pulling files from my UDMA66 drives while downloading files off my cable modem and never a hiccup. I feel the UDMA66 drive are more than sufficient. If not, buy the Promise IDE raid....
What kind of video work do you do? Aside from fun hobby projects I make Q and A project on CD-Rom. "What happens if I don't brush my teeth?". CLICK. (Picture of the toothless Bobby Clarke appears)....

david

zuffy
05-04-00, 12:05 AM
Hell_Yes,

I meant multitasking as in foreground applications running http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif The UDMA66 drives are great for Win9x and cheap as hell per MB, but SCSI would be a better choice for NT IMO. BTW, while you were burning and downloading on the same hdd, what speed are you burning the cd at?

As of now, I don't know and too lazy to learn the video editing softwares... I just download movies like Matrix, American Beauty, etc. from newsgroups for screening. If I like, I will buy it in DVD. Check out my DVD collection (http://www.dvdtracker.com/~zuffy) http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/cool.gif

I make VCD 2.0 Complaint VCD's from some downloads... do that count?

[This message has been edited by zuffy (edited 05-04-2000).]

zuffy
05-04-00, 12:29 AM
Here are some questions to ask yourself to choose the right HDD format:

1)is money an issue? (yes, then IDE)
2)do you multitask a lot... like downloading from internet, surfing, listening to MP3, etc. simultaneously? (yes, then SCSI)
3)are you planning to burn CDs while doing the things in question 3? (SCSI)
4)do you plan to get the entry level SCSI or high-end like a 10k rpm? (entry, then go with 7200 rpm IDE)

Right now, I got a 9.1GB Cheetah running my NT OS, while a Maxtor 20GB and 13.6GB stores my video, MP3, images. OS and all applications are run off the SCSI for performance, with the paging file spread to all three drive. Anytime when 1 hdd is too busy, the others will handle the paging more. Also, my Plextor cd-rom, cd-rw, and Jazz are running on a separate SCSI controller, away from the SCSI HDD. With this configuration, I can burn a CD, download movies from newsgroups, surf the net with a few Netscape browsers open, ICQ, defrag a HDD with Diskeeper, Eudora checking for email simultaneously!!! This is on a Celeron OC'ed to 450MHz and 320MB RAM.

zuffy
05-04-00, 12:34 AM
One more thing, if you like a quiet PC, stick to IDE. High-end SCSI HDD's are LOUD and cooling fans will be needed for the excessive heat.

Hell_Yes
05-05-00, 12:12 AM
Z,

The point was IDE works fine even with multi tasking. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/cool.gif It's advisable to have two drives on separate channels though. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

I have a Yamaha 24r/8w/4rw scsi.... I always burn 8X... never a hitch!
I like SCSI. Like you, I have a 2940U2W (80MHz) controller. I have my 9 Gig drive on the wide channel for virtual memory and video caching. The Yamaha is on the narrow channel (20 MHz). I have Dual booted for 98/2k..

Cable Modem and news groups.... perfect together... Yes VCD's count <snicker>

semper priapus

david

Hell_Yes
05-05-00, 05:33 PM
And Scsi can get a little fluky with termination and commands. Ask anyone who fought with it. Yes SCSI is overall better.
Its like comparing Honda to Mercedes. Mercedes is cleary better, but Honda is more than adequate.

well, that's my 2.07 yen
david

LoachDuke
05-06-00, 12:24 AM
Hey,

The only downside to SCSI is the price.