PDA

View Full Version : Win98 wont recognize my hard drive

jaybad
04-15-00, 10:27 PM
did you use NTFS when you installed win2k.
if you didnt use ntfs is the drive recognized when you boot your computer. can you see it if you go to a command prompt only.

have you tried using fdisk to check the drive and see if fdisk recognizes it.
you should be able to just use
fdisk /status
to see what its set to

If a primary partition is set to NTFS, Fdisk recognizes the partition as a non-DOS partition in Windows 95, and recognizes the partition as NTFS in Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2) and in Windows 98.

if none of this works you may want to go to the hard drive vendors site and check for a utility to download and test the drive for errors. also you can use these utilities to reset your drive or 0 disk it. this may be an option if fdisk doesnt help. im sure you know this but just have to mention it. if you fdisk the drive you will lose all data on the drive.

I hope this helps.

CSfreak
04-16-00, 12:42 AM
I installed Win2000 on my machine that has 2 harddrives on it, a 2 and a 10 gig. I installled Win2000 on the 2 gig HD and left the 10 gig for everything else. When I went to get rid of Win2000 I formatted my 2 gig HD and reinstalled win98. Now my computer only recognizes the 2gb hard drive and I cna't get the 10gig HD to work at all. I cna't even get the computer to find it. What do I do?