PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Downloading!

silkunicorn
10-05-07, 08:10 PM
Hi, I have been having the following problems for more than a day now.
I have been using a News Reader to subscribe to certain newsgroups and
download messages from there in the past and am using a dLink DI-524
Router for wireless connection. But suddenly yesterday afternoon, I
receive the following error message when I tried to download messages
from the news server (which is news.west.cox.net: "502 Maximum number
of connections reached. (Tornado v1.0.7.392)" as well as the following
error message: "Exceed connection limit for news.west.cox.net.". The
strange thing is: If I connect my PC directly to the modem (bypass
the router), I was able to download messages from my newsgroups
without any error messages. But as soon as I connect my PC via the
router (which is dLink DI-524) again, the error message came on and
stop me from downloading any messages. So obviously it is the ROUTER
that is causing the problem. Could anyone please shed some light on
this for me? Does the DI-524 router has a download quota that limit
me to download messages? This situation occurred when I tried to
download a 7 GB item from my subscribed newsgroup. It seemed that THE
router is saying that I had reached my download quota and will not
allow me to download any further. Is that true? Any suggestions/
comments are much appreciated. Thank you very much.

alanoftulsa
10-09-07, 11:05 AM
I have the same problems with 502 error codes. I use a linksys gateway router. The problem is the same using a belkin router. I had this problem 6 months ago and it took a supervisor at level 2 tech support to get it fixed. The people you talk to on the phone sitting at the computer screens are not able to fix the problem. That would be because the problem is not between their screen and yours. The problem is in the software that runs the newsgroup servers and that is why they were able to fix the problem with a supervisor that can "think outside the box". It is my guess that they did a newsgroup software update last week that has messed things up. But getting the level 2 tech to get a supervisor to look at the problem is almost impossible. Cox sent a service rep to my house and he concluded that the problem was with Cox. I have spent many hours on the phone doing all the steps that the tech rep was reading off the computer screen before him. They always end up telling you that the problem is with your router. THEN WHY DID MY ROUTER WORK WITHOUT A PROBLEM FOR THE LAST SIX MONTHS? AND WHY ARE OTHER PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AT THE SAME TIME? The answer is because Cox has a problem that they are unwilling to spend the time to fix. I pay all of my Cox bill every month and I expect to receive all that I am paying for.

By the way I get a four connections if I unhook my router and use just a modem. Linksys has checked out my router and they said it is working just fine and that the problem is on Cox's end. But then I already knew that.

alanoftulsa

bwd777@gmail.com
10-10-07, 08:10 PM
On Oct 5, 6:10 pm, silkunicorn <silkunic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have been having the following problems for more than a day now.
> I have been using a News Reader to subscribe to certain newsgroups and
> download messages from there in the past and am using a dLink DI-524
> Router for wireless connection. But suddenly yesterday afternoon, I
> receive the followingerrormessage when I tried to download messages
> from the news server (which isnews.west.cox.net: "502Maximum number
> of connections reached. (Tornado v1.0.7.392)" as well as the followingerrormessage: "Exceed connection limit fornews.west.cox.net.". The
> strange thing is: If I connect my PC directly to the modem (bypass
> the router), I was able to download messages from my newsgroups
> without anyerrormessages. But as soon as I connect my PC via the
> router (which is dLink DI-524) again, theerrormessage came on and
> stop me from downloading any messages. So obviously it is the ROUTER
> that is causing the problem. Could anyone please shed some light on
> this for me? Does the DI-524 router has a download quota that limit
> me to download messages? This situation occurred when I tried to
> download a 7 GB item from my subscribed newsgroup. It seemed that THE
> router is saying that I had reached my download quota and will not
> allow me to download any further. Is that true? Any suggestions/
> comments are much appreciated. Thank you very much.

I am having the same problem, chated with tech support and they said
it was my router - needed to be reset. I reset my router and that
didn't help. Any Ideas?

alanoftulsa
10-11-07, 10:15 AM
I talked to a Supervisor at Cox-Tulsa on Tuesday. He knew of my problem of only having one connection back in Jan. I tried to convince him that the problem was with the company that is running the news servers. He told me that he knew someone that could probally get a hold of them and have them check out their server software. I never heard back from him but 3 hours later I started to get 4 lines in on the news server and no 502's. This had been after a week of Cox tech's checking things out and telling me that it was my gateway. I figured that what ever they did fixed everybodys problem with 502's. Thats about all I can tell you. Let us know if it gets working and what city you are in. I know I was not the only person in Oklahoma to have the same problem. alanoftulsa

alanoftulsa
10-13-07, 05:04 AM
Well things worked just fine till about 10pm Friday night. Then things went b ack to 1 connection to the newsgroup. If this Provider company can't keep the news servers running right then COX ought contract with a company that can. So here we go again, having to bash my head against the wall trying to convince COX to contact their news contractors and have them fix the problem.

If you run a gateway and only have one good line and three 502's on your newsreader then keep calling COX till the get the problem fixed. There is nothing wrong with your system at home and DON'T let them tell you there is.

slaveunit
10-13-07, 11:35 AM
I am having the same issue with cox in San Diego. Yesterday was working fine, as within the past. Now today I am getting the 502 with all 4 connections unless I plug directly into the modem. Than I get all 4 bot connecting.

slaveunit
10-13-07, 07:01 PM
If you are having issues with the west cox server try their east one. Worked for me. I did call with my issue to the cox west. Hopefully they sync up their brans and figure out the issue on the west coast one.

slaveunit
05-09-08, 07:29 PM
Actaully this happens from east as well.