PDA

View Full Version : Could it be my monitor is on its way out?

Debbie
07-22-07, 12:58 PM
All of a sudden today, my screen is swaying slowly back and forth. Is my monitor on it's way out or is it the vid card?

downhill
07-22-07, 01:08 PM
Just a passing shot but do you have a non shielded speaker or two, sitting close to the monitor? (Assuming it's a CRT)

Debbie
07-22-07, 01:11 PM
Just a passing shot but do you have a non shielded speaker or two, sitting close to the monitor? (Assuming it's a CRT)

As a matter of fact, I do have one speaker next to it. I'll move it for now. I haven't been using the speakers though. I use my headphones. My speakers are turned off.

Debbie
07-22-07, 01:14 PM
It is still swinging and swaying. I don't think I could watch this for long! :rotfl:

YARDofSTUF
07-22-07, 01:15 PM
Like downhill mentioned about the speaker, also look for anythign magnetic near it, Check the monitor cable that plugs into the video card, make sure its tight.

Degauss the monitor(its the button/option on teh montior that makes the screen go all crazy for a few seconds)

If none of that helps unplug the monitor cable and look for broken off pins.

Debbie
07-22-07, 01:25 PM
Like downhill mentioned about the speaker, also look for anythign magnetic near it, Check the monitor cable that plugs into the video card, make sure its tight.

Degauss the monitor(its the button/option on teh montior that makes the screen go all crazy for a few seconds)

If none of that helps unplug the monitor cable and look for broken off pins.

Speakers moved: no change
degauss done: no change
unplugged cable checked pins: pins are fine
plugged back cable: no change

Debbie
07-22-07, 01:27 PM
Found the problem lol. :rotfl:

Fan on the windowsill.

YARDofSTUF
07-22-07, 01:28 PM

Fan on the windowsill.

Plugged into same outlet?

CableDude
07-22-07, 01:29 PM

Fan on the windowsill.

:D

Debbie
07-22-07, 01:30 PM
Plugged into same outlet?

Plugged into my Belkin surge protector with my other equipment. I don't use it all of the time. The back of the monitor is against the livingroom windows. It is a small fan. It was behind the monitor. When I moved it over to the left side of the window, the swaying stopped.

YARDofSTUF
07-22-07, 01:32 PM
Cool. :thumb:

Debbie
07-22-07, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys! :)