PDA

View Full Version : Running out of room on server...

themillerj
07-20-07, 08:07 AM
May seem like a stupid question but what do you do when the free space on the C drive in your primary server has shrunken to the size of a pea? I mean we've got three other drives with plenty o' room but obviously we've got a problem here. I'm not really sure why the guy before me stuck an 80 gig in when he knew he'd be installing server 2003 and ERP software that takes up about 20 gigs itself...:confused: but he did. Anyway what's the easiest way to take care of this... or isn't there one?

YeOldeStonecat
07-20-07, 08:33 AM
80 gig..sounds like IDE?

Either way....you can consider several things...
Out of the 80 gigs..what is left in disk management? A single 60 gig second partition? Or several other 20 gig partitions? Any programs installed on them, or databases storing data on them?

Honestly 20 gigs should be more than enough for server 2K3...what is normally done..is programs, and more imporantly, their data, is kept on additional partitions.

So many options.

*No cost..just a little time..uninstall programs from C, reinstall on D (or whatever partition drive letter is next). Use caution if these are networked programs that contain data.

*Use partition resizing tools such as Acronis Disk Directory Server (expensive..over 500 bucks). They can resize partitions, even "merge" partitions. If you have no data on your other partition..or even if you just have data, storage, depending..you can probably easily move that elsewhere, and suck up that partition into C.

themillerj
07-20-07, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the help. The problem is that although there are partitions for programs he installed a couple on the partition with the OS. I'll just uninstall them and reinstall on another partition as you said. Shouldn't be too hard... as long as I keep the data...