PDA

View Full Version : Dual Raid motherboard

TinyTim
07-09-07, 08:52 PM
Can this board handle a dual raid setup GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2532&ProductName=GA-P35-DQ6) - 2 drives configured in a RAID 0 (O/S and apps setup) and 4 drives configured in a RAID 5 setup (Storage)?

I read the manual and am assuming it can but I have not read anything that says this can be done--I am probably missing something.....

YARDofSTUF
07-09-07, 09:21 PM
Do you mean setup from the onboard controller? A dedicated RAID card would be best. Never tried to setup 2 different kinds of raid on an onboard.

TinyTim
07-09-07, 09:39 PM
Well, the manual says that the board has a northbridge and southbridge controller (2-raid controllers); however, I am not sure if I was interpretting this correctly....

YeOldeStonecat
07-11-07, 07:50 AM
Northbridge and Southbridge are part of the motherboard chipset itself...motherboards have that anyways without RAID.

YARDofSTUF
07-11-07, 09:11 AM
I think he means that theres a raid controller in the southbridge and northbridge, but that sounds wrogn too.

Probably one in the southbridge and one separate.

TinyTim
07-11-07, 09:17 AM
So it probably has one raid controller and the southbridge/northbridge do not make reference to having independent raid controllers; therefore, the board probably only has one, correct?

YeOldeStonecat
07-11-07, 10:04 AM
I think he means that theres a raid controller in the southbridge and northbridge, but that sounds wrogn too.

Probably one in the southbridge and one separate.

Yeah the Intel ICH9R Southbridge is the RAID version, the board also has a Gigabyte SATA controller for an additional 2x connections (the ICH9R has 4)...didn't read long enough to see if the Gigabyte controller also support RAID. I just perused this article..
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2118

TinyTim
07-11-07, 03:17 PM
That makes sense...Thank you.