PDA

View Full Version : RAID 5 for a boot drive.

David
07-05-07, 10:36 PM
I am upgrading drives on my system. The 74GB raptor is too small, so I purchased a 500GB WD. These puppies are so inexpensive, the thought of a 4 disk RAID 5 entered my addled little mind.

Any worthwhile thoughts?

Izzo
07-05-07, 10:42 PM
I wish I could ....the only thing I got running are 2 320g in RAID1 on my XP/AMD machine. Sounds sweet though.

David
07-05-07, 11:05 PM
I wish I could ....the only thing I got running are 2 320g in RAID1 on my XP/AMD machine. Sounds sweet though.

My thought is the redundancy and speed.

Izzo
07-05-07, 11:10 PM
My thought is the redundancy and speed.

I have nothing to offer than than I'd do it if I could ....

YARDofSTUF
07-06-07, 06:56 AM
I have nothing to offer than than I'd do it if I could ....

Me too!

YeOldeStonecat
07-06-07, 07:46 AM
Since you've already stated you'll start with 4x drives.....consider 0+1. 20-30% better performance than 5. Yes less usable space in the volume....but....you get that performance gain.

David
07-06-07, 11:45 AM
Since you've already stated you'll start with 4x drives.....consider 0+1. 20-30% better performance than 5. Yes less usable space in the volume....but....you get that performance gain.

Brian,

I am more interested in the size than speed. A four disk RAID 5 is faster than a stand alone drive, no?

YeOldeStonecat
07-06-07, 12:04 PM
Si....as far as read performance. Which is, IMO, your primary concern when it comes to your boot drive. You want to boot up, and load programs, quickly.

RAID 5 does lack a bit in write performance..compared to other RAID solutions. However..performance comparisons of RAID 5 versus <some other RAID type> is difficult to compare...as it depends on the RAID controller being used. RAID 5 can have tremendous overhead when doing I/O..specifically writing because it needs to calculate parity. Lesser grade controllers (chipset based RAID) can lean on the CPU more, thus giving a poor showing for RAID 5 when comparing to a non-RAID disk or other RAID types on the same controller. A higher end RAID card with much better onboard controllers will perform better when writing under RAID 5.

Performance also rises as the # of drives being used goes up.