PDA

View Full Version : linux/dos..lost space on hd

eyeball
10-11-00, 07:01 PM
ok, i downloaded redhat 7, burned it to cd, and installed it seemingly ok on my primary slave hard drive, despite me getting a kernel panic error on startup, but thats another topic in itself.

anyhoo, my primary slave hd is 13gb, and i allocated 4gb total (3gb native, 1gb swap) to linux, and so i figured i'd have the rest of the 9gb for another dos partition in windows, right? wrong.

i run fdisk in dos after installing linux, to make a new dos partition, and reboot to windows, format it, and it only lets me format it to 4gb max. made sure it was fat32, and it is.

my problem: how do i get this space back in windows? i'm willing to repartition it (reinstall linux) to get it back.. i'm thinking i could try creating a custom 9gb partition in dos first, and then create the extra 4gb while installing linux, but i'm not sure (and i'm not at home right now to try it). so anyone got any clues? TIA.

------------------
supreemdotorg (http://www.supreem.org)
supreemforum (http://pub17.ezboard.com/bsupreemdotforum) - hardware, software, mp3, photoshop discussions, & much more..

Sid
10-11-00, 10:12 PM
What does fdisk say as far partition info?

Juggernaut
10-11-00, 11:41 PM
First off, how did u create the Linux partition to begin with? Secondly, you should always have Windows be at the beginning of a multi-boot drive. Get Windows up and running first and then install Linux. Windows doesn't like being anywhere else besides at the beginning of the drive, and if you use LILO (which I imagine you would), when you install Windows after you install Linux, Windows will recreate the MBR, therefore erasing LILO.

Keep that in mind as well whenever you decide to format and reinstall Windows. Make a Linux boot disk if you plan on reinstalling Windows (or just reinstall Linux afterwards, depends on what u want to do) and run the Lilo configuration again.

eyeball
10-12-00, 02:19 AM
sid: fdisk says i have an extended partition of 9gb, which i can get rid of completely.. but every time i install redhat 7 using disk druid, it seems to go back to creating the extended partition of 9gigs.

jugger; well i'm installing linux only on my D: drive and not my C:, they both dual-boot fine.. i'm just trying to install linux on the 13gb drive (my C: is 27gb)..

also another problem while i'm at it, i'm getting a kernel panic error upon the first bootup after installing redhat.. this is the exact error:
Invalid session number or type of track.
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41.

i have a feeling this has to do with my partitions set on my D: ..

so i'm beginning to wonder if i should install windows and linux on my C: drive and forget about the D: drive.. although i'm worried about it having the same problem (taking up useless space, especially when its a 27gb drive). but i'll have to backup all my stuff and try it.. i cant seem to bust this error message plus the problem with the partitions.

------------------
supreemdotorg (http://www.supreem.org)
supreemforum (http://pub17.ezboard.com/bsupreemdotforum) - hardware, software, mp3, photoshop discussions, & much more..

Sid
10-13-00, 12:06 AM
Sounds like you skiped a step in fdisk? After you create your primary dos partion and then created your extended partion did you select option 3? this lets you break the partion down into smaller drives. This is only a guess cause my linux box runs so flawless that I have forgotten how to set it up.

Stu
10-14-00, 12:45 AM
First things first. A gig of swap is WAY too much! You should make the swap as big as your physical memory. I usually go with 256 MB, anymore is wasted space and managing it takes up more physical memory (thus, making it less efficient).

Second, I wouldn't go with RH 7.0 yet. Redhat has historically had problems with the dot "O" releases. Also, 7.0 uses a non-stable/beta release of gcc--meaning that you may have problems installing some software. Download 6.2 and run the updates and you should have no worries.

When you try to re-partition you "could" be running into problems with rounding errors--you pick a size that doesn't fall at the end of a block or cylinder on the hard drive, and your partitioning tool of choice rounds in the wrong direction and aborts. Do yourself a favor, pick up a copy of Partition Magic, install Windows first, resize the partition and add logical ext2 and swap partitions, then install linux. It will make your life a little easier and should have everything install on the first shot.

Finally, when all else fails, consult the newsgroups. Because, I GUARANTEE that someone in them has run into the exact same problem and knows how to solve it. Some of the better ones to try are:

comp.os.linux.help
comp.os.linux.answers
comp.os.linux.questions
comp.os.linux.setup
alt.os.linux
linux.redhat.install

You could also try a search on www.linuxdoc.org (http://www.linuxdoc.org) or www.google.com (http://www.google.com)

[This message has been edited by Stu (edited 10-14-2000).]

Juggernaut
10-14-00, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by eyeball:
also another problem while i'm at it, i'm getting a kernel panic error upon the first bootup after installing redhat.. this is the exact error:
Invalid session number or type of track.
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41.

i have a feeling this has to do with my partitions set on my D: ..

Ok, that error it is giving you is it cannot find your root (/) directory to boot from. Use a linux boot disk you created during the install (that is if you created one, if you didn't, I think you could run setup again and pick create a boot disk and then just exit the setup). Anyways, after you have booted with the boot disk, go to /boot and look for the file vmlinuz. It should be there. If it is, type rdev vmlinuz "your partition where the root is found (ie. /dev/hdbx (the "x" is whatever number that partition is found at)"

Reboot.

[This message has been edited by Juggernaut (edited 10-14-2000).]