PDA

View Full Version : How much beating can a HDD Take?

deleted_acct
05-12-07, 09:34 PM
I'm currently away from home so my pc isn't setup like it usually is. I have it sitting on top of the desk.

Sometimes i will accidentally roll my chair into the desk and bump it. I'm worried this is damaging my drive.

I've done some benchmarks and one of my drives is getting around 56MB/s while the other makes a loud clicking noise when running the benchmark test(the noise made when shutting down your pc) and the pc locks up. Requiring a reboot.

I think i was having trouble with the one drive before i moved my pc to this new location though.

Anyways, my question is how much abuse can a hard drive take?

Things like these with the pc on (how harmful are they?):
-Bumping the table
-Rolling table around
-Moving PC to unplug wires while on (I try to turn pc off most of the time now but in the past i have done this quite a few times)

Laptops get moved around all the time with no trouble, are normal desktop pcs any different?

Please don't bite my head off for not taking care of it like i should :(. The dang things getting so old though i just keep telling my self your going to be getting a new one soon.

RoundEye
05-13-07, 06:04 PM
The read/write head floats on a cushion of air generated by the spin of the platters. Moving the PC around while itís on can cause the head to crash into platter, wiping out data. How much force is needed to crash the heads I donít know. I try and avoid moving a PC while itís on. But Iím guilty of doing it sometimes.

Laptop drives are built to tougher standards.

YeOldeStonecat
05-13-07, 06:57 PM
There are a lot of variables.

Laptops generally have hard drives that are more resistant to motion/bumps, while being used. For regular PCs...other variables are:
*Type of drive. Entry level 1 year warranty drives, or good enterprise grade hard drive which have better quality internal components
*What the hard drive is doing at the time of the "bump"
*The type of case the hard drive is mounted in. Better quality cases mount the hard drives in rubber grommets...which absorb some bumps besides isolating noise.

Joel
05-13-07, 11:56 PM
I'm currently away from home so my pc isn't setup like it usually is. I have it sitting on top of the desk.

Sometimes i will accidentally roll my chair into the desk and bump it. I'm worried this is damaging my drive.

I've done some benchmarks and one of my drives is getting around 56MB/s while the other makes a loud clicking noise when running the benchmark test(the noise made when shutting down your pc) and the pc locks up. Requiring a reboot.

I think i was having trouble with the one drive before i moved my pc to this new location though.

Anyways, my question is how much abuse can a hard drive take?

Things like these with the pc on (how harmful are they?):
-Bumping the table
-Rolling table around
-Moving PC to unplug wires while on (I try to turn pc off most of the time now but in the past i have done this quite a few times)

Laptops get moved around all the time with no trouble, are normal desktop pcs any different?

Please don't bite my head off for not taking care of it like i should :(. The dang things getting so old though i just keep telling my self your going to be getting a new one soon.
<offtopic>OMFG I haven't seen you in forever.</offtopic>

The G ratings on desktop hard drives, specifically while in use, are for intents and purposes LOW as all get out.

Moving the PC being the worst thing you're probably doing, if its making noise, it's really telling you it's had enough.

deleted_acct
05-14-07, 04:18 PM
<offtopic>OMFG I haven't seen you in forever.</offtopic>

The G ratings on desktop hard drives, specifically while in use, are for intents and purposes LOW as all get out.

Moving the PC being the worst thing you're probably doing, if its making noise, it's really telling you it's had enough.

If its making any sounds period, the drive is going bad?

Glad to see i'm remembered. Tear ... Tear :')

Genesis
05-17-07, 01:55 AM
At one time i accidentally unplugged the IDE cord from the HDD while it was on, luckily it was my slave drive, nothing happened to it :thumb: