PDA

View Full Version : reccomend me an '' lga775 '' board /=(=)=\

Joe
05-10-07, 09:00 PM
Looking for something sub- 200$

Was looking at a variant of the eVga 680i board but not sure. Any Ideas.

YARDofSTUF
05-10-07, 09:13 PM
Ya the EVGA 680i boards are nice.

Shagster
05-10-07, 09:27 PM
650/680i boards are a bit of a mess.

Stick with the intel 965p or wait a few months and get a p35 revision board.

In the case you go 965p stick with Asus.

Izzo
05-11-07, 07:38 AM
Ya the EVGA 680i boards are nice.

^^ I have a 680i and love it......also have an Asus P5B ....is a great, cheap 775 board.

Addict
05-11-07, 08:12 AM
650/680i boards are a bit of a mess
Not sure what you mean by that. The 680i boards are performing very well. I have one (BFG 680i) and its been a great board.

Brk
05-11-07, 09:10 AM
That's kinda like asking, "Recommend me a V-6 with automatic transmission."

What chip do you plan to use? What features do you need? Etc.

YeOldeStonecat
05-11-07, 09:15 AM

Someone around here had a Camaro like that.....

Roody
05-11-07, 09:26 AM
Not sure what you mean by that. The 680i boards are performing very well. I have one (BFG 680i) and its been a great board.

:nod:

Addict
05-11-07, 09:40 AM
Mazda 6s.... Next question!:nod:

Shagster
05-11-07, 11:58 AM
I am correct, they have kinks in them when compared to the (cheaper) 965p boards. For the record there are better places to get boards from than BFG and EVGA, their motherboard building reputation does not equal their video cards.

It's about getting the best board for you money. Boards from biostar and pc chips usually work fine. Any car out of a dealership works fine.

Izzo
05-11-07, 12:14 PM
I am correct, they have kinks in them when compared to the (cheaper) 965p boards. For the record there are better places to get boards from than BFG and EVGA, their motherboard building reputation does not equal their video cards.

It's about getting the best board for you money. Boards from biostar and pc chips usually work fine. Any car out of a dealership works fine.

Ya, some had issues but the peeps I know with 680i from EVGA are all doin' ok....they're definately not top notch but well worth the cash ...and actually I was more disappointed with EVGA and their card/step up program than I am anything else.....

but I agree that any board will do ....I had a biostar t6100 :thumb:

YARDofSTUF
05-11-07, 01:15 PM
Theres problems with all boards, Some of the best recommended at hardforums have had major issues, like the EVGA boards and the Gigabyte DS3.

Some of the 680i troubles have been user errors for not installing the drivers right for the Jmicron chipset I believe too. Hard gave the nvidia 650 a nice review.

The 965P is a great chipset.

Under 200 right now I'd say Gigabyte DS3 or N650 DS4, Abit AB9 Quad GT, and an asus P5b deluxe, I wouldnt go with a cheaper p5b cuz of the capacitors. The most importnat ones on teh deluxe are some new style, adn on the premium(over 200) they all are, but any lower end boar all has the older ones that could pop.

Shagster
05-11-07, 01:32 PM
If you don't need a board capable of being happy past 500fsb, or one of the goodies that come with one of the more expensive boards, then just get a asus p5b vanilla or gigabyte ds3.

YeOldeStonecat
05-11-07, 02:05 PM
I'd say Gigabyte DS3

Yuck. I think there's still a shattered piece of mine left that flew under a desk from when I smashed mine to bits.

YARDofSTUF
05-11-07, 02:08 PM
Yuck. I think there's still a shattered piece of mine left that flew under a desk from when I smashed mine to bits.

Its too bad you werent in teh computer field and more familiar with motherboards and the companies policies so that you could have RMA'd it. :p

Izzo
05-11-07, 02:28 PM
Theres problems with all boards, Some of the best recommended at hardforums have had major issues, like the EVGA boards and the Gigabyte DS3.

Some of the 680i troubles have been user errors for not installing the drivers right for the Jmicron chipset I believe too. Hard gave the nvidia 650 a nice review.

The 965P is a great chipset.

Under 200 right now I'd say Gigabyte DS3 or N650 DS4, Abit AB9 Quad GT, and an asus P5b deluxe, I wouldnt go with a cheaper p5b cuz of the capacitors. The most importnat ones on teh deluxe are some new style, adn on the premium(over 200) they all are, but any lower end boar all has the older ones that could pop.

My P5B Vanilla performed very well for me.

Izzo
05-11-07, 02:28 PM

I'll take whatever you're going to smash next.

Shagster
05-11-07, 05:28 PM
That origional DS3 was a total piece of garbage. Even fried two sticks of memory because of its lack of vdimm controls combined with its horrible ass memory compatability. I traded mine in for a P5b.

In Gigabytes defense they DID fix it with the revisions. Friend got the newer revision and I twinked around with it, its gtg. Still P5B is much much greater than the DS3.

On a side note. If you want to upgrade to penryn and/or DDR3 grab the P5K. DONT do this if you plan to overclock. The boards have a issue with their straps.

In total honesty and having read post after post after post of other users with experiences...don't get the nvidia 600i series boards OVER the p965.

Joe
05-11-07, 07:01 PM

What chip do you plan to use? What features do you need? Etc.

E6600 / mild to moderate overclocking in the plans.

If I was building my mom an el~cheapo computer I would have said that burke. ;) Cleary I'm wanting enthusiast grade. :thumb:

Brent
05-12-07, 12:02 PM
The 680i problems previously experienced have been fixed now for quite a while thanks to BIOS updates. It is a stable high performing platform.

Joe
05-13-07, 12:07 AM
Thank you brent. :thumb: