PDA

View Full Version : Multi-threading

frisco
03-30-07, 12:47 PM
In the new issue of Maximum PC they ran a head to head comparison of diff stuff... In one match-up they compared an Intel core 2 Extreme QX6700(quad), to an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800(dual)... They stated that in NON multi-threading applications the X6800 beat the QX6700... But in "applications that support enough threads to keep all four cores busy, the quad core spanks the dual core processor."

Cool, soo, what is multi-threading and can someone please give a good example of something that is multi-threaded...

YARDofSTUF
03-30-07, 12:54 PM
The 6800 wins in single threaded apps because it has a higher clock speed.

Multithreaded apps are programs that use SMP, or multiple cores/processors.

The windows OS will use them, and programs like photoshop, video editing software, they may only use 2 cores efficiently, dunno. And as of now the folding@home SMP core will use 4.

Some SMP apps really only benefit from using 2 cores/CPUs. I dont see a reason for the average user or gamer to upgrade to a quad core. I was very excited for them to come out but at the same speed as the dual cores, which didnt happen.

Odds are that if your asking this question you have no need for anything more than 2 cores.

frisco
03-30-07, 01:00 PM
Thanks Yard...
I've seen reference to folding@home several times, what is it..??

YARDofSTUF
03-30-07, 01:07 PM
Uses your PC to unfold DNA and sends it back to stanford where they can look it over and share the results with others to help find a cure for cancer, alzhiemers and other diseases.

Click on "YoS" in my sig for more. Its not a reason to get a dual or quad core CPU though :p