PDA

View Full Version : mcafee and kernel error

asterix
10-08-00, 02:15 AM
HI, I updated my mcafee viruscan from 4.07 to 5 and now sometimes when I close IE browser it let to an error in kernel module. the program called MR WATSON said to me that the problem was rooted in mcafee viruscan which made a not valid operation. I tried to unistall the viruscan and all was correct and without errors. I saw that error also slows down my browser in particular closing it. Now i also can install some ather antivirus, but mine is only 2 months old and i don't want to buy another.

Sid
10-08-00, 03:14 AM
Somebody here can help you out but you need tell us a little more info like what kinda OS are you using and what is the exact error your getting including the exact file names.

Zporttech
10-08-00, 09:36 AM
If you are using W98 good luck with it. I tried to upgrade several months ago and all it would do was freeze up my machine.

After three uninstall and reinstalls and a couple of phone calls to McAfee I switched to Nortons Antivirus and have been very happy with it.

An actual quote here from McAfee tech support "we don`t know why it won`t work". And another kicker was they wouldn`t refund or exchange it!!!!

------------------
Steve
www.zport.com

Storm90
10-08-00, 05:13 PM
Well it works fine for me! what you need to do is uninstall it . remove all it files assoiated with it and then redownload it and it should work fine. I had the same problem the frist time . And that is what I did. I also run win98 .Plus reinstall your orignel copy before you update it. GoodLuck!

asterix
10-14-00, 11:30 AM
mcafee support said to me uninstalling safe an sound option but never decribed how.....
my OS is w98SE. someone can help?

asterix
10-14-00, 11:37 AM
i'm looking to uninstall this poor program and install norton trial version (downloaded time ago with internet security) if i don't find alternatives.
PS: THE ERROR IS IN KERNELL 32 REGISTRY.

thank u all.

[This message has been edited by asterix (edited 10-14-2000).]

JANDOENT
10-14-00, 11:17 PM
Asterix, you might could try this. It won't uninstall " safe & sound" but it should render it unaccessable and may solve your problem. go to START>PROGRAMS>McAFEE>SHARED FEATURES, Right click on shared features and click delete. The other option would be to uninstall McAfee totally: START>SETTINGS> click CONTROL PANEL, then click ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, scroll down to McAfee, highlight it, then click remove. If you reinstall, don't upgrade it.

jim_jeanes
10-16-00, 03:09 PM
Just a long shot here, I know that the kernel.dll is loaded when ur system boots up so I figure maybe if u scan and fix ur registry before windows boots maybe that will do it. When ur system begins boot sequence, hold f8 so that it will go to the safe mode menu. choose the command prompt and then enter scanreg /fix. Maybe that will work. I was getting some crazy ass error that wouldn't let me use my Internet Explorer and it fixed it. Don't forget to leave a space after the scanreg part.

[This message has been edited by jim_jeanes (edited 10-16-2000).]

Zporttech
10-16-00, 04:03 PM
Now you are on the right track, uninstall Mcafee and install that Norton`s !!!!!

I will catch heck for that statement.......

------------------
Steve
www.zport.com

legalmind
10-17-00, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by asterix:
i'm looking to uninstall this poor program and install norton trial version (downloaded time ago with internet security) if i don't find alternatives.
PS: THE ERROR IS IN KERNELL 32 REGISTRY.

thank u all.

[This message has been edited by asterix (edited 10-14-2000).]

Without posting a 2 page sheet,I will make it easy for you.
You must go into the reg. and remove all traces after uninstalling. Also, you will have problems with IE5.0 and need at least 5.01 with Mcafee."Install service pack 1 to ie 5.01."
Be sure you have also remove the command file, but wait until that error shows up.
Mcafee activeshield,do not install until you have done the above or its error city for you.