PDA

View Full Version : car question

Hawk
10-22-06, 06:48 PM
hey all,
i have 93 pontiac gr am, well the power window (drivers side) dont work, is it possible to manualy put it up ? any help would appreciated

thanx
Dave

Hawk
10-22-06, 07:05 PM
sorry didnt see automotive forum

Joint Chiefs of Staff
10-22-06, 09:58 PM
hey all,
i have 93 pontiac gr am, well the power window (drivers side) dont work, is it possible to manualy put it up ? any help would appreciated

thanx
Dave
From my experience with having power windows, no. Since your electric windows run by power (electric) and a motor inside the door frame you'll have to purchase a new or used window motor to replace the defective one. Make sure you properly trouble shoot before coming to the conclusion it's the motor. It could be simple as a bad connection etc.

Replacing a door motor can be a complete pain in the ass as the motors are in the frame of the door and usually are riveted in place. Just use a small drill bit to bore out the center of each rivet and then use a small chisel to clear the head of the rivet. When inserting the new motor get yourself some small nuts and bolts *with lock washers* to remount the motor.

I replaced an old Buick LaSabre drivers side mirror I owned some years ago about 3 times with used window motors from a salvage yard. Each one crapped out after only a few months. In some cases when buying used parts you inherit the problems or wear and tear of that item. Make sure if you purchase a used door motor that they test it at the salvage yard (have them test it using a car battery) and make a note that you purchase the correct motor for the correct door as each front/back doors are reversed.

Word to the wise purchase a new motor but be prepared to pay some coin as they are not cheap. A new door motor for the LeSabre 6 years ago was over $200.

fastchevy
10-23-06, 09:05 AM
Yeah that is a ****** job!
The only way I can see you being able to do it manually is removing the motor, move the window up the track and replacing the window motor. Hopefully the teeth between the motor will be lined up with the teeth in the window regulator and it will stay complete closed.

Like JCOS said eliminate the switch or anything else first although it's very likely it's the motor.

Joint Chiefs of Staff
10-23-06, 09:35 AM
Hopefully the teeth between the motor will be lined up with the teeth in the window regulator and it will stay complete closed.

Been there, tried that. Didn't work for me. The time it took me to try manually pulling up the window from inside the door frame I could have replaced the damn motor. lol

joecool169
10-23-06, 05:11 PM
Often times if you get someone to help you, you can tap on the door panel while someone works the switch and it may go up one last time. Also remember that broken wires where they go past the door hinge are common, so wiggle the rubber thing while someone else works the switch. Sometimes if the window is not down all the way you can lift up on it a little (not to hard) and then it will go up. Click the switch off and on a lot of times if the contacts are going bad it may go up. If you pull the door panel and want some help troubleshooting I can tell you how to test with just a test light and get the right diagnoses the first time. Which is the most important part of the job.:)

Hawk
10-28-06, 01:54 AM
thanx for responces,
sorry took so long to reply, talked to friend of mine, well he had a ford, dont remember what car, anyway he had same prob, but was able to manually put up window buy using a ratchet/socket, had persay, manual adjustment i believe on motor, so you could at least get window up, guess pontiac dont have that, oh well, ill manage

thanx all

Dave

ardos666
12-16-06, 02:09 AM
for yur pontiac is very difficult to find that motor.but you can chek if the problem is on the motor.and the easy way is to go to an elektroaut becouse the broken motor can be adjusted, is not easy but can be adjusted.and you can see if there is any motor window of other cars that can do the job of your motor.take your motor and go somewere were are motorwindow and take a look of them.the cable is not problem becouse you can be modifyed is simple.