PDA

View Full Version : BSOD issue

Loonatic
09-13-06, 10:28 PM
Ive been working on this computer and I feel that the HD is on its way out.

She called and said she tried looking at a graphic sent from someone and it BSOD'd. She figured something wasnt right so she tried to delete the file, and it BSOD'd. Finally got it deleted and it BSOD's all the time now. I get it, and it BSODs 1/4 of the time booting into windows. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont. When it does, its either IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, or REGISTRY_ERROR.

Tried different ram to no avail. Everything is onboard (NForce2). I had problems before with this machine with the HD crashing (lost everything).

Im assuming the drive is on its way out or what? This is Win2k Sp4, tried installing newest NF2 drivers also.

A_old
09-13-06, 10:43 PM
download the ultimate boot cd and run DFT on the drive (advanced scan). that'll tell u if the drive is good or not. afterward, run memtest, if both pass, reinstall winblows..if u have issues during the install or afterward, u probably have a bad board or proc..i'd also check to make sure all of the cables are good AND that the PSU can handle the load of whatever's in the machine.

TonyT
09-14-06, 06:59 AM
FIRST:
Find out the cause of the bsod by:
1. boot to windows
2. rt click My Comp icon > select Properties > Advanced Tab
3. Startup & Recovery > Settings button
4. System failure > uncheck Automatically restart

This will give the full txt of the bsod. Copy it down.
see:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Also, check Admin Tools > Event Viewer > System & Application logs

This will zero in on the real cause of the bsod, afterwhich something may be able to be done about it.

Loonatic
09-14-06, 02:29 PM
Ran the disc diag and it said like before that it has a few bad sectors.

She has a new HD she wants in there so I figured, good time to do it. Formatting stuck at 17% and there are fuzzy lines in the screen, then it all broke up. Sound like the onboard video went crap?

Rebooted and its stuck, wont show video or anything. Going to try resetting CMOS and checking the DLED on the back.

K Dled reports memory damaged or not installed properly. Yay.

Gary335
09-14-06, 02:37 PM
Ran the disc diag and it said like before that it has a few bad sectors.

She has a new HD she wants in there so I figured, good time to do it. Formatting stuck at 17% and there are fuzzy lines in the screen, then it all broke up. Sound like the onboard video went crap?

Rebooted and its stuck, wont show video or anything. Going to try resetting CMOS and checking the DLED on the back.

Whenever a diagnostic reveals bad sectors it's a good sign that your HD is biting the dust. It's definitley good that you replaced it.

It does sound like your video is going up. If you have a video card laying around somewhere, throw it in the computer, disable the onboard, and see what happens. If everything goes alright, then you know for sure that the onboard video has gone up.