PDA

View Full Version : New CPU vs more RAM?

Leatherneck
09-11-06, 08:12 AM
I have a AMD64 3200+ and 1GB (2x512) dual channel PC3200 RAM and have a few bucks to get either a new chip like a 4000+, Dual core or another GIG of memory. I don't put much of a load on my PC and rarely game so I figure the RAM might be the more obvious boost. Any thoughts?

Izzo
09-11-06, 08:28 AM
I have a AMD64 3200+ and 1GB (2x512) dual channel PC3200 RAM and have a few bucks to get either a new chip like a 4000+, Dual core or another GIG of memory. I don't put much of a load on my PC and rarely game so I figure the RAM might be the more obvious boost. Any thoughts?

Depeninding on teh budget.....you could really do both ....prices are ridiculous on dual cores now.

YARDofSTUF
09-11-06, 08:28 AM
If you dont put much of a load on the pc, and it runs fine now, then I'd say save your money.

I'd probably go with RAM if I was to pick one thoguh, since you said theres not a heavy load on the CPU

Gary335
09-11-06, 08:45 AM
If you dont put much of a load on the pc, and it runs fine now, then I'd say save your money.

I'd probably go with RAM if I was to pick one thoguh, since you said theres not a heavy load on the CPU

I agree with YoS. Since your not doing anything that puts much of a load on your PC, your current setup should be more than good enough just the way it is. Why spend money to upgrade something that really doesn't need to be upgraded?

Leatherneck
09-11-06, 08:48 AM
Sometimes it seems like a lot of hype with all the new stuff. I have the 3200+/1GBRAM/X800GT and it plays games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Doom, Quake, Tomb Raider Legend, Brothers in Arms, etc... on quality settings with no problems.

Maybe I'll get a new bandsaw instead :)

YeOldeStonecat
09-11-06, 08:50 AM
Save up $ for an all new. Upgrading CPU too much..will require new RAM. May require new mobo.

Upgrading RAM now...what do you currently run that may push your system? Yes some games such as the Battlefield series will run smoother if you add even more RAM...but bottom line is..do you currently run anything that puts such a load on your system? I know you said "rarely game"..but that's subjective....once a day, once a week, once a month? Less?

For average apps and light gaming, a gig is a sweet spot. It won't feel much quicker.

One area to look into if you want to make a wise investment to carry onto a new system...I don't know what your current hard drive is now..but if you don't have a WD Raptor, 10,000rpm and 8 or 16 megs of cache depending on the model...nothing else can touch them performance wise without going full tilt SCSI.

Or if your current drive is a bit older...and you need massive storage...going to some of Seagates 7,200rpm 8 and 16 meg cache models...darned fast.

Izzo
09-11-06, 08:51 AM
Sometimes it seems like a lot of hype with all the new stuff. I have the 3200+/1GBRAM/X800GT and it plays games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Doom, Quake, Tomb Raider Legend, Brothers in Arms, etc... on quality settings with no problems.

don't listen to those clowns -----DUAL CORE .....DOOOOO ULLL COOORE

but yeah ....if it ain't broke :D

Leatherneck
09-11-06, 09:47 AM
I haven't had anything bog it down yet. As far as games go, once or twice a month for about 30-45 minutes a pop. Mild photoshop use, web surfing & business apps and that's about it, but it's not always about need rather than want! I do have a couple 7200 SATA drives and I think that helped a lot. Working for the cable company has some nice bennies! I acquired some nice 120GB Barracuda SATA drives from DVRs that were being thrown out for other damage.

Izzo
09-11-06, 10:05 AM
I haven't had anything bog it down yet. As far as games go, once or twice a month for about 30-45 minutes a pop. Mild photoshop use, web surfing & business apps and that's about it, but it's not always about need rather than want! I do have a couple 7200 SATA drives and I think that helped a lot.

You can get an X2 3800 for 150.00 at Newegg. :D ...prolly about the same price you paid for that 3200 a while ago :thumb:

ace
09-11-06, 10:29 AM
. Working for the cable company has some nice bennies! I acquired some nice 120GB Barracuda SATA drives from DVRs that were being thrown out for other damage.

Yup its nice. Got myself a 160 gig maxtor for storage!!!:D :thumb:

YARDofSTUF
09-11-06, 10:31 AM
Yup its nice. Got myself a 160 gig maxtor for storage!!!:D :thumb:

I'm sorry. :p

Izzo
09-11-06, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry. :p

:rotfl:

Leatherneck
09-11-06, 11:16 AM
I had 4 drives, 3 Barracudas & 1 Maxtor. I kept 2 Barracudas & gave the others away. None are super quality, but work for 2nd drives. I prefer the Seagates myself given the choice.

A_old
09-11-06, 01:59 PM
lol @ yos

Mark
09-11-06, 04:25 PM
dual core for the F@H boost, but that's if you really want to just spend some money though.

:thumb:

Rivas
09-13-06, 01:56 PM
If you are so keen wait for the quad cores,you are gonna be setup for few years imo.

knightmare
09-13-06, 07:32 PM
upgrade later, save $$$--I'm running a 2.8 P4HT with a gig of ram, and a radeon 9800 proXT, and I don't feel like i am missing out. But I don't game on the computer much..

get a nice LCD if you don't have one, so glad I finally did.

Chris
09-13-06, 08:28 PM

Now you talkin

TOOLS

ARRRrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I know I am gettin sick of trying to keep up , tools are a much better investment, and more practical, More fun, Build chit just cause ya can, instead of sitting at the mind sucker

David
09-13-06, 10:10 PM
Now you talkin

TOOLS

ARRRrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I know I am gettin sick of trying to keep up , tools are a much better investment, and more practical, More fun, Build chit just cause ya can, instead of sitting at the mind sucker

Hard to argue. I have yet to upgrade my saws and feel little compulsion to do so. Cannot say the same for any electronics I purchased.

Massa
09-14-06, 02:13 AM
Hard to argue. I have yet to upgrade my saws and feel little compulsion to do so. Cannot say the same for any electronics I purchased.

Ahh but you have only the highest quality drills at the office :P

Chris
09-14-06, 06:28 AM
Ahh but you have only the highest quality drills at the office :P
Hey, the implant I got was put in with what looked like a Snap On 1/4 drive ratchet....lol

Now when the dentist pulls out a Makita chop saw......

Get worried..... VERY WORRIED!!!!!

David
09-14-06, 10:52 AM
Hey, the implant I got was put in with what looked like a Snap On 1/4 drive ratchet....lol

Now when the dentist pulls out a Makita chop saw......

Get worried..... VERY WORRIED!!!!!

Digging
Digging
Ah!
http://twangs.net/leftone.jpg

Massa
09-14-06, 05:11 PM
Digging
Digging
Ah!
:rotfl:Was that a 3 or 4 hour lab in dental school?

Rivas
09-14-06, 05:53 PM
Digging
Digging
Ah!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I love that pic :rotfl:

YARDofSTUF
09-14-06, 05:58 PM
:rotfl:Was that a 3 or 4 hour lab in dental school?

If he picked that up I'd say it was a 3 or 4 second lab.