PDA

View Full Version : GamePC: Core 2 Duo Platforms From Asus - A Top To Bottom Comparison

YeOldeStonecat
09-09-06, 06:56 PM
"If you've kept up with the computer hardware industry lately, it's a good bet you've heard about Intel's new Core 2 Duo processor. Here at GamePC, we've covered each individual model of the Core 2 Duo launch, and the general consensus here is that Intel has the best processor on the market by a fairly large margin. In one fell swoop, Intel has taken command of the high-end performance space and re-ignited a fire with enthusiasts, who are enjoying the flexibility and excellent performance levels of this new processor architecture.

Most people shopping for a new gaming or workstation class system are immediately drawn towards the Core 2 Duo, as it bests competing processors in these types of applications. However, what motherboard to pair with one these new processors can be quite a dilemma, as there are lots of new platforms to choose from with wildly varying feature sets. For previous generation high-end processors, there was a clear choice for what type of motherboard to use. For example, most high-end Pentium-D systems used Intel 925X chipsets, whereas high-end Athlon64 X2 platforms used Nvidia nForce4 series chipsets. For the Core 2 Duo, however, we've got a spattering of chipsets to choose from, and none has emerged as the true favorite as of yet. Each chipset has benefits and drawbacks which should be taken into account when searching for a compatible platform for your individual needs.

While quite a few Core 2 Duo compatible chipsets are in development, at this time there are only a few prominent choices to choose from. The three major choices are Nvidia's nForce4 SLI X16 Intel Edition, Intel's 975X, and Intel's P965. Of these three chipsets, only the P965 is "new", as the other two chipsets were also featured on Pentium-D compatible motherboards, but have been given new leases of life with the Core 2 Duo, allowing them to hit performance levels which couldn't be attained with the older companion processors. Leading the charge in the land of Core 2 Duo motherboards has been Asus, who has released platforms based on all three chipsets, hoping to cater to each individual market. While it's great to have flexibility when choosing a new motherboard, too many choices can be daunting. So, we've gone ahead and rounded up a batch of Core 2 Duo motherboards from Asus for a direct comparison. What board is the best fit for your shiny new Core 2 Duo processor? Let's find out."

http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-c2dmb-pile.jpg

Full article here:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=c2dmb&page=1

Rivas
09-11-06, 09:46 PM
They forgot to mention (or i missed it) ASUS is shipping P5W DH Deluxe with old bios which doesnt support core 2 duo.In order to get the new bios you have to contact Asus and ask for Bios chip or ask someone with S775 cpu (celeron,D chips etc) in order to upgrade it.Just my few cents,maybe they are shipping it with new bios already,dont know.

Shagster
09-11-06, 09:57 PM
Couldn't be happier with my P5B vanilla.

Rivas
09-11-06, 09:58 PM

That one with 10 USB ports ?

Sava700
09-11-06, 10:01 PM
the more USB ports the better... Seein how everything you have now is set off USB.

Izzo
09-11-06, 10:05 PM

I got one too

Rivas
09-11-06, 10:20 PM
i think i got 8 USB,then 3 or 4? on my monitor + 7 extra USB (2 switches).

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-06, 05:28 AM
the more USB ports the better... Seein how everything you have now is set off USB.

Eh to a point...lower demand items. Joystick, camera, kb, mouse, a printer, camera, PDA, that's about all I'll bother with as far as USB. What's better is seeing external SATA ports come out on mobo's lately....so if you don't have firewire...you can have external SATA drives..maintain performance.

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-06, 05:30 AM
They forgot to mention (or i missed it) ASUS is shipping P5W DH Deluxe with old bios which doesnt support core 2 duo.

That was probably that custom one of a kind they made with a few pinholes in the socket, for you with your customn one of a kind 775 CPU having pins. :rotfl:

Rivas
09-12-06, 01:40 PM
That was probably that custom one of a kind they made with a few pinholes in the socket, for you with your customn one of a kind 775 CPU having pins. :rotfl:

Core 2 Duo / Conroe Support With BIOS Update
Please note that the P5W DH Deluxe MAY require a BIOS update before it will boot with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Users will need access to an Intel Celeron, Pentium 4 or Pentium D processor with a Socket-T / LGA775 interface to flash to the appropriate BIOS

Download P5WH BIOS Revision 801 with Core 2 Duo / Conroe Support

If you do not have a CPU to do the BIOS update, you can contact Asus for it. 1-502-995-0883 then press 0 for the operator. Specfiically ask for the Bios Department (if you go through tech, they'll redirect you there anyways), and tell them you need the updated bios. They don't even ask for serial # or anything, just an address (no creditcarrd or billing info unless you're doing overnight).

To tell which version of the BIOS you currently have, look at the 2nd PCI slot from the bottom, and you'll see the BIOS at the end of the slot. Mine is 0502 atm, and i believe you need 0801 or higher for Core2Duo. :p

SOurce : http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19240&vpn=P5W%20DH%20DELUXE&manufacture=ASUS

Waiting for your reply ....

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-06, 02:46 PM
Waiting for your reply ....

It zoomed over your head. Yes it's well known that existing chipsets often need BIOS upgrades to function with newer processors, been that way for years. BIOS flashes will not however, enable mobo's to accept hybrid 775 CPUs with pins. :rotfl:

Rivas
09-12-06, 06:09 PM
It zoomed over your head. Yes it's well known that existing chipsets often need BIOS upgrades to function with newer processors, been that way for years. BIOS flashes will not however, enable mobo's to accept hybrid 775 CPUs with pins. :rotfl:

I agree
But that one mobo is the "main" Asus flagship for core 2 duo.Its new motherboard,how long it is on the market ? As long as are the Conroe cpus.Yes i do agree older mobos (i know P5 mobo is using older chipset but it doesnt matter if its worst than the newer one,they are saying its not) needs bios upgrade for new cpu support.
And that 775 cpu with pins is not funny anymore Cat.

YeOldeStonecat
09-12-06, 10:07 PM
I agree
But that one mobo is the "main" Asus flagship for core 2 duo.Its new motherboard,how long it is on the market ? As long as are the Conroe cpus.Yes i do agree older mobos (i know P5 mobo is using older chipset but it doesnt matter if its worst than the newer one,they are saying its not) needs bios upgrade for new cpu support.
And that 775 cpu with pins is not funny anymore Cat.

What is your logic here.

Fact..the P5W is based on the 975 chipset. This motherboard, and chipset, was around BEFORE the Conroe CPU. Thus, logic dictates, its BIOS, dependingt upon when you purchased it, may not support the Conroe..since if you purchased it quite some time ago..it might have BIOS that are pre-Conroe.

Motherboards models, BIOS versions, and CPUs, have had this happen for many years in the past..this isn't any groundbreaking newsflash here. Example, some Pentium 2 motherboards were not immediately compatible with Pentium 3 processors when they first came out...yet a BIOS flash made some Pentium 2 chipsets, such as some 440BX motherboards, compatible with Pentium 3 processors.

The 975 isn't necessarily considered a Conroe flagship, the 965 is considered more contemporary.

The 775 with pins will live in infamy...like it or lump it, you tried to insist it down the poor buyers throat.

Rivas
09-12-06, 10:36 PM
What is your logic here.

Fact..the P5W is based on the 975 chipset. This motherboard, and chipset, was around BEFORE the Conroe CPU. Thus, logic dictates, its BIOS, dependingt upon when you purchased it, may not support the Conroe..since if you purchased it quite some time ago..it might have BIOS that are pre-Conroe.

Motherboards models, BIOS versions, and CPUs, have had this happen for many years in the past..this isn't any groundbreaking newsflash here. Example, some Pentium 2 motherboards were not immediately compatible with Pentium 3 processors when they first came out...yet a BIOS flash made some Pentium 2 chipsets, such as some 440BX motherboards, compatible with Pentium 3 processors.

The 975 isn't necessarily considered a Conroe flagship, the 965 is considered more contemporary.

The 775 with pins will live in infamy...like it or lump it, you tried to insist it down the poor buyers throat.

How long it was around before core 2 duo ? 3 Weeks ?Because it says on the box it does support core2duo and core 2 duo EE.So your logic is wrong.

Here is pic of the mobo box http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=206151
I can make few more shots so you can SEE it says Supports Core2DUO and Core 2 Extreme.

Like it or not buyer wasnt buying cpu he was buying motherboard.So you are soooo off topic.

"Thus, logic dictates, its BIOS, dependingt upon when you purchased it, may not support the Conroe.." While on box it says Supports Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Extreme. Its gonna live as well lol

YARDofSTUF
09-12-06, 10:54 PM
P5W DH DLX has been around since about June.

Rivas
09-12-06, 11:09 PM
P5W DH DLX has been around since about June.

Late July,i just have been on Asus website :D
Thats what said one guy on boards,but Asus is saying July,so its about 3 weeks +- few days.

Rivas
09-12-06, 11:20 PM
My bad,it was early July not late July.ANd to clear it up everywhere its saying it does support Conroe cpus,its not like they changed top of the box,good one Cat LOL

YeOldeStonecat
09-13-06, 06:45 AM
How long it was around before core 2 duo ? 3 Weeks ?Because it says on the box it does support core2duo and core 2 duo EE.So your logic is wrong.

I don't know how to make it any more simple for you...but once again..this chipset...chipset...chipset. I also don't see where said the 975 boards "Don't support Conroe". Been around just a weeeeeee bit before June. And even if you want to be literal about "Conroe support"..the fact is...BIOS flash needed or not...yes still supports it. Most of us aren't have a hard time following this. Slowly now..."Yes...a BIOS flash may be required to get Conroe support".

What a BIOS flash can't do is add pin holes to the socket 775 however..to get the mysterious "Rivas Special 3-pin 775" CPU support.

Rivas
09-13-06, 08:59 AM
Thus, logic dictates, its BIOS, dependingt upon when you purchased it, may not support the Conroe..since if you purchased it quite some time ago..it might have BIOS that are pre-Conroe.

You WON.
They Changed the Cover Box :rotfl:
The motherboard was released 0701 2006 and pre orders were made in June according to Asus and Newegg. Really Good one :rotfl:
I'm too lazy to take a new pic of the CHANGED cover box but this this time you are wrong.I got 775 with pins and you got Mobo's with changed cover boxes.Yeoldestonecat mysterious motherboard :nod:

http://www3.telus.net/erik/Picture 011.jpg

Rivas
09-13-06, 11:26 AM
OK
Enough of this soap opera.
I agree what you said,but you also have to agree what i said about this motherboard.Since it was released, it was for Conroe cpus,no doubt about that.I'm not gonna "argue" about this anymore it doesnt make sence.
Have a nice day,enjoy your Guiness beer :thumb: and have something nice for breakfeast :)

Take care

Erik

YeOldeStonecat
09-13-06, 02:56 PM
You WON.
They Changed the Cover Box :rotfl:
The motherboard was released 0701 2006 and pre orders were made in June according to Asus and Newegg. Really Good one :rotfl:
I'm too lazy to take a new pic of the CHANGED cover box but this this time you are wrong.I got 775 with pins and you got Mobo's with changed cover boxes.Yeoldestonecat mysterious motherboard :nod:

Cover boxes are totally irrelevant, that's something you can take up with the typical retail marketing department. Bottom line is..motherboard support and features are initially based on their chipsets...period. Just like many PCs coming out right now with "Vista Ready" stickers on them...there's a chance...more like a probability, and some newer drivers will have to come out, and a BIOS flash, for some of those to be totally compatible with Vista.

As BIOS upgrades allow newer hardware to be supported..yes..they will advertise them as supporting that hardware on the box. Once again, I never said the 975 did not support Conroes. My point was BIOS upgrades are common in order for older mobo/chipset to be compatible with newer hardware..and by gosh..it seems like that point is still 100% correct. :rolleyes: There's no "mysterious motherboard" on my end.