PDA

View Full Version : web server setup - parts list - need advice please

serv2007
09-09-06, 04:05 AM
Hi,

i'm building a web server, which suppose to be strong enough (hardware wise) to get some serious traffic biting 24/7

i didnt make an Xeon setup since currently i cant efford a decent Xeon server setup.

here is my server part listing, tell me what you think:

CM Stacker 810 case

Enermax Noisetaker II 600W Smart - psu

Gigabyte GA-G1975X-C - motherboard

Kingston DDR2 2GB 533MHz ECC CL4 dual kit - ddram

Intel Pentium D 950 – 3.4ghz 64bit - socket 775 - dual-core processor

Western Digital 250GB 16MB Buffer - to be used only for the linux system

(doing this to saperate the system HD from the hosting HDs to get better
performance)

Two x2 - Western Digital 320GB 16MB Buffer hard drives - for hosting member sites (total of 640GB for hosting sites)

Sapphire ATI Radeon X550 256MB 128bit - video card (they are cheap now)

Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server NIC - top grade server NIC

NEC DVD/CD-RW DVD/CD Burner x16 - to have the ability to make hard

backups on dvds

Cooler Master AAB-V80 - Aero Blower - blow fresh air into the case

Thermaltake "A2029" Case Fan 2 120mm - take waem air out of the case

tell me what do you think about this setup? will it perform bad\ok\good\great as a web server? give me your honest opinions, and if you have any tips i will highly appreciate any

thanks in advance!

dave :)

YARDofSTUF
09-09-06, 07:36 AM
Case and PSU are nice, I have the enermax noisetaker 600w psu, very good to me.

I only see an exhaust fan listed to take the air out, you should have one blowing in as well to balance the air in the case out.

serv2007
09-09-06, 09:04 AM
thanks alot for your input mate :thumb:

i have a fan for taking worm air out listed there though, i plan on having two AeroLite blowers for blowing air into the case, and two 120 fans on the other side of the case to take the worm air out..

what do you all think about the other hardware selected? ddr ? cpu ? mobo ? hard-disks ? nic ? and etc.. how is all this for a web server setup ?

cheers :cool:

YARDofSTUF
09-09-06, 09:56 AM
Well I know nothing about web servers really.

The core 2 duo is a better CPU, wont work with that motherboard though, but I dont know how much power you need.

I'd probably look more at a e6400 or e6600 Core 2 chip since you want to stay away from Xeon.

YeOldeStonecat
09-09-06, 10:01 AM
tell me what do you think about this setup? will it perform bad\ok\good\great as a web server? give me your honest opinions, and if you have any tips i will highly appreciate any

The machine is more than capable of performing fine.....for seriously high loads, I'd look at moving to SCSI drives. One of the biggest factors though will be the bandwidth of where it's hosting...specifically upload, and whatever speeds you're capped at (since many data centers often cap you), and the robustness of any firewalls it's behind (hopefully not just some home grade broadband router..but a beefy business grade one)

serv2007
09-09-06, 11:22 AM
thanks for your advice !!

btw YARDofSTUF, the mobo selected works with Pentium D..

YeOldeStonecat, can you recommend me a good great router ? i was thinking about the dual-wan router by edimax... i need a dual-one unit, do you know of any good grade dual-wan router you can recommend me ?

best regards,

dave

YARDofSTUF
09-09-06, 11:28 AM
btw YARDofSTUF, the mobo selected works with Pentium D..

I didnt mean that there was a problem with the compatibility of what you selected. I mentioned the motherboard wouldnt work with a Core 2 Duo, its a 775 pin cpu as well but uses a different voltage regulator thats not on that gigabyte board.

The cpu and mobo you have picked out are great for each other.

serv2007
09-09-06, 05:04 PM
thanks for your input!

are you sure about that ? i was looking at this mobo specifications online on gigabyte's site, and also a review of the product and they say it supports Pentium D as well...

i dont believe gigabyte would lie on their own site about this mobo features, also on the review page that was on a well known site (cant pick up the name right now) i believe you better check it out..

do you have a similier quality grade mobo to recommend me to run with PentiumD ? be aware that it also need to have the other features like dual-ddr...sata2.... and etc....like the gigabyte mobo...

YARDofSTUF
09-09-06, 06:02 PM
Yes it supports Pentium D.

Seem to be miscommunicating here.

YeOldeStonecat
09-09-06, 06:21 PM
can you recommend me a good great router ? i was thinking about the dual-wan router by edimax... i need a dual-one unit, do you know of any good grade dual-wan router you can recommend me ?

Is your chosed data center already blocking ports? Wide open public IP they're giving you? Or are they able to NAT your server on their switch?