PDA

View Full Version : Building new box for VMs

shadrach
09-07-06, 11:24 PM
Damn, it's been a long while since I've posted here, and as long since I paid attention to hardware. Been happily plugging away at Microsoft products (living in Exchange/AD as of late on a global migration project). anyways....

I still have the box in my signature running at home as mainly a file server and jukebox while I use my work laptops. I'd like to build a new system to do more of the same, but also run my Virtual Server and VMware labs.

So I'm thinking a new dual-proc mobo and pair of new, fast processors (Intel or AMD, you tell me) and lots of memory; or possibily another CPU like my current, dual-pro mobo and just more RAM (cheaper)

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance...

YARDofSTUF
09-08-06, 02:45 AM
I remember you!

Well the simple answer is get a Core 2 Duo chip and a boat load of ram.

THe core 2 duo chips are destroying the competition right now.

Rivas
09-08-06, 10:37 AM
I remember you!

Well the simple answer is get a Core 2 Duo chip and a boat load of ram.

THe core 2 duo chips are destroying the competition right now.
I remember him as well.:D
And for the core duo chips .... :nod:

shadrach
09-08-06, 03:56 PM
What mobos are recommened for the Core 2 Duo? According the few reviews I read at Newegg many don't support overclocking; but it seems like everyone who reviewed the CPU itself is OC'ing them, so I wonder what boards they are using.

Shinobi
09-08-06, 04:03 PM
Welcome back :)

YARDofSTUF
09-08-06, 04:13 PM
What mobos are recommened for the Core 2 Duo? According the few reviews I read at Newegg many don't support overclocking; but it seems like everyone who reviewed the CPU itself is OC'ing them, so I wonder what boards they are using.

Asus P5W DH
Gigabyte 965P DS4
Gigabyte 965P DS3
DFI i975X

The Gigabyte DS3 and Asus P5W seem to be the most popular.

YeOldeStonecat
09-08-06, 05:54 PM
Heya Shad...good to see ya! :thumb:

VM...yup...all about the RAM. Stuff it.