PDA

View Full Version : CPU dead?

SlyOneDoofy
09-05-06, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I was watching a movie on my computer and it gave me a heat warning then shut off. It turns on but it won't post the bois screen at all. No signal gets the the monitor. I don't hear the hard drives kick in either.

It's a Pentium D 830 with a 945 intel motherboard and they have been working fine for about a year.

Is there something I can try to see if the cpu isn't dead and how will I know if it's just the cpu and not the motherboard also?

Thanks!

A_old
09-05-06, 03:52 PM
any beeps? open it up and check for burned parts etc

YARDofSTUF
09-05-06, 04:00 PM
Also check for dust in the heatsink and fans, reset the cmos, and if it POSTs, make sure the fans are running.

Gary335
09-05-06, 04:30 PM
At the very least your CPU is dead. It's possible that your motherboard is fried too, but more often than not the motherboard manages to escape harm in these situations. As for how to tell whether its one, the other, or both....well you really can't. You could probably shell out some big bucks to buy some fancy testing equipment, but its probably not worth it. I would suggest just replacing the CPU. If you put thenew CPU in and your system still doesn't boot, then the board is fried also.

SlyOneDoofy
09-05-06, 04:45 PM
any beeps? open it up and check for burned parts etc

No beeps at all.

If I replace the motherboard and cpu and use a different style of motherboard and cpu will I have to buy win xp again?

If I put in a new cpu and the motherboard is bad will it fry the new cpu?

Thanks!!

Gary335
09-05-06, 04:51 PM
No, a bad motherboard will not fry the CPU. As for XP, you may have to obtain a new key from Microsoft, but you do not have to buy an entirely new copy of XP.

A_old
09-05-06, 07:07 PM
It's not so simple. Please reseat all cards, the processor, and memory. Try booting w/ just the memory, vid card and and processor hooked up, see if you get a video signal to your monitor...and let us know if you get Video, if you do, after reseating memory, proc, vid card, then it's another component (fried dial up modems sometimes prevent machines from posting w/ out taking anything else out -- assuming a modem is installed and is connected to a phone line AND a surge has gone through soon).

YARDofSTUF
09-05-06, 08:17 PM
Based on the error he got, itis that simple. When you add 2+2, you alwaysget 4. When you add CPU+heat, you always get fried. No if's an's or but's about it.

Chips are meant to turn off to help protect them from getting fried, if this protection was on, it should just need to be fiddled with.

Mark
09-05-06, 08:17 PM
Based on the error he got, itis that simple. When you add 2+2, you alwaysget 4. When you add CPU+heat, you always get fried. No if's an's or but's about it.

that's your opinion.

it can't hurt to do some troubleshooting first before he goes out and spends money though.

SlyOneDoofy, also test the power supply with a multimeter to see what voltage it is putting out, google if you need a guide on how to test with it.

SlyOneDoofy
09-05-06, 09:06 PM
The power supply is an Antec true550 watt. I assume it should be plently and it kicks on and powers everything but no post. I'll fiddle with it tonight and see if clearing the cmos, re-seating everything helps.

Mark... I'll try that I have a multimeter in the garage.

Thanks for all the help and if it's fried I might look at getting the E6700 to replace it and would like some advice on motherboards to go with it.

A_old
09-05-06, 11:55 PM
Edit: No longer relavent. Waiting on info from SlyOneDoofy

YeOldeStonecat
09-06-06, 09:19 AM
Is there something I can try to see if the cpu isn't dead and how will I know if it's just the cpu and not the motherboard also?

Thanks!

Was the HSF on the CPU spinning?

Remove all peripherals you can...PCI cards, cables to hard drives, all power cables except to motherboard, RAM sticks, etc. Even the vid card. Reset BIOS to defaults. CPU removed also!

Now with the system as naked as possible..power up. Any beeps? If so..good.

One by one..begin reinstalling components..CPU...Power up....anything? If so...keep going..next...vid card...then RAM...drives, etc. Powering up between each component you reinstall.

SlyOneDoofy
09-08-06, 09:25 PM
Sorry I have been busy with work. I'll pull it apart tonight and see if it's dead. I'll keep you guys updated on how it comes out.

Thanks

SlyOneDoofy
09-08-06, 09:57 PM
OK, this is weird......I went upstair just now and hit the power button and it posted and said intel and I shut if off real quick because I was freaked out it would burn up.

After it shut down the first time when I started this post and gave me the error it wouldn't do anything for 2 days but now it's posting. I'm not sure what is going on now.

I'm guessing it needs a better cooling fan but I'd like to see if windows actually loads up all the way and it's not damaged before I go out and buy a new fan for a broke system.

Here's the question....Do I take the risk of running it until windows loads and see if everything works ok?

Thanks!!!

A_old
09-08-06, 10:04 PM
Yes, run it and see if it posts...AFTER you pop it open, make sure it isn't too dusty (clean it out using canned air and a vacuum if so -- don't get too close w/ the vacuum and don't turn the can of air upside-down though), make sure the CPU fan is spinning and the heatsink is securely fastened to the processor socket.

Also, if you're a smoker, don't do so in the same room as the PC as the tar really gunks fans and vents up.

SlyOneDoofy
09-08-06, 10:27 PM
Well as a computer repairman I know that the CPU would be the first thing I'd check. Just because it shut down doesn't mean it did so fast enough. It had to achieve a certain temperature to get to the shutdwn point, and that temperature is enough to fry a CPU.

OK, I made it into XP and gave it enough time to update AVG then shut it down.

What's a good fan for the Pentium D 830 3.0Ghz? I'd like one that can really cool it down because I don't want to fry it again.

And yes Gary335 you were wrong this time.

YARDofSTUF
09-09-06, 12:08 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185027

scythe could be a bit tricky to install, not too difficult, but it could be time consuming.

A_old
09-09-06, 01:05 AM
OK, I made it into XP and gave it enough time to update AVG then shut it down.

What's a good fan for the Pentium D 830 3.0Ghz? I'd like one that can really cool it down because I don't want to fry it again.

And yes Gary335 you were wrong this time.

Back to the issue..how do you know it's the fan? Did you check it and see that it isn't spinning? (you didn't give us that information)

A_old
09-09-06, 01:22 AM
Hey guys, lets give it up already and help Sly..

A_old
09-09-06, 01:30 AM
Whatever happened to getting back on track? ;)

i couldn't help it, i love office space. i need sleep. on a side note, if traffic holds up, i'll have 2100 unique vistors to my site this month :) (YAY), best i've had so far is 1240 or so

Gary335
09-09-06, 01:30 AM
i couldn't help it, i love office space. i need sleep.

I know that feeling! :sleep:

Kip Patterson
09-09-06, 03:48 AM
This thread is about a system that won't boot. Any other posts will be removed at a minimum.

kip Patterson

Moderator.

Rivas
09-09-06, 03:58 AM
This thread is about a system that won't boot. Any other posts will be removed at a minimum.

kip Patterson

Moderator.

Interesting
What about my thread when i was called idiot and lier.

Philip
09-09-06, 09:24 AM
Interesting

If you have a complaint, report the thread or post in the feedback forum. Please post on topic. Flame wars will not be tolerated.

YeOldeStonecat
09-09-06, 11:05 AM
Interesting

Still trying to convince others a 775 CPU has pins on it? With some mysterious motherboard that has both pins for the 775 CPU contact pads...and holes for those mysterious pins on the CPU? :wth:

SlyOneDoofy
09-09-06, 01:11 PM
The fan was spinning but what else would cause the heat shutdown?

I am assuming the fan just isn't good enough to cool the chip right?

I don't have any other guesses unless someone else does

Storm90
09-09-06, 01:33 PM
I don't know if this will help but I just had a computer doing the same thing as yours. It turned out it was my video card going bad. I had check out the cpu and the fan, Plus ran a check on my memory and board. It turned out my video card was shutting down when it heated up. Not saying this is you problem, But might be worth looking into . Goodluck hope you get it solved

YARDofSTUF
09-09-06, 01:44 PM
The fan was spinning but what else would cause the heat shutdown?

I am assuming the fan just isn't good enough to cool the chip right?

I don't have any other guesses unless someone else does

Have you had the system long, was there dust to clean out?

Boot to the bios and leave it there for a few mins and check the temp for the cpu in health status. If thats in teh mid to low 30s then boot to windows.

Do you have a temp monitor program that came with the motherboard?

If not, grab systool or motherboard monitor and check the temp in windows

Gary335
09-09-06, 03:34 PM
Have you had the system long, was there dust to clean out?

Boot to the bios and leave it there for a few mins and check the temp for the cpu in health status. If thats in teh mid to low 30s then boot to windows.

Do you have a temp monitor program that came with the motherboard?

If not, grab systool or motherboard monitor and check the temp in windows

Also, while your looking at the temp, see how many RPM's your fan is doing. I believe most fans nowadays do about 5000 or so, so if its doing too much less than that you may need to replace it.

SlyOneDoofy
09-09-06, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the responses.

There was very little dust inside the computer because I have filters on the intake fans.

I'll check the temp in bios and in windows with systool to see what I get.

I'll see if I can find the fan rpms somewhere.

Thanks for the help!!!

Gary335
09-09-06, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the responses.

There was very little dust inside the computer because I have filters on the intake fans.

I'll check the temp in bios and in windows with systool to see what I get.

I'll see if I can find the fan rpms somewhere.

Thanks for the help!!!

The RPM's should be on the same BIOS screen as the temperature.