PDA

View Full Version : router with dns caching

Bouncer
08-31-06, 09:59 AM
So I thought I'd hit our hardware gurus up on this one. It's not really a routing related question, which is why it's in hardware.

I need to try and locate a small soho router that does all the usual functions, NAT/PAT, DHCP etc etc... I'd also like to include DNS caching if available. Thus my post here.

For those of you who don't know, DNS caching is locally holding the ip adress/ name resolution of various web sites you've visited for a period of time. This speeds up browsing because you don't have to ask for name resolution for Yahoo.com when you visit it again (within a certain time period).

Normally it's a small speed increase, but this is a stub ..office.. in a remote location which has to route a very long distance over relatively small pipes for DNS. So anything we can do to move name resolution closer to them is a good thing.

So, oh mighty hardwarriors, if you could forward me any suggestions you have for a small soho router with this functionality, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

YeOldeStonecat
08-31-06, 10:15 AM
I don't recall of any home==>soho==>smb grade routers that support that...

However looking at some linux appliances such as IPCop, etc...yes.

I take it no servers on this node?

Bouncer
08-31-06, 11:54 AM
RGR. It's a temporary.. field office in the back of beyond. Might just build them a local DNS/web caching server.

-B-

YeOldeStonecat
08-31-06, 04:46 PM
If you like....I do have a small form factor box that has a pair of NICs..and a hard drive with IPCop on it. Not being used. ;)